Do you drive with traction control on or off?

Started by Xer0, May 01, 2018, 09:21:19 AM

MrH

Stays on in the 4Runner obviously.  I rarely ever get it to flicker in it unless I'm off road, in which case it has a brake based system to send power around called A-TRAC.

S2000 doesn't have any of these wussy features :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on May 01, 2018, 12:34:02 PM

Mine's an early build, mid-level 2010. It has several things later ones of the same trim don't (such as rain-sensing wipers, automatic headlights, auto-dimming rear-view mirror, heated side mirrors, and it's pre-wired for interior LED accent lights), but is missing several things that later cars had standard. Notably it does not have traction control, stability control nor the tire-pressure monitoring system.

I wonder if that's a Canadian thing; I recall those options being standard on the US cars. Yet curiously you could get a Mazda 3 with manual locks..

shp4man

Traction control...haha. Throw a few sandbags in the bed.

Tave

The Miata doesn't need it, and I don't like the way it behaves, so I generally turn it off unless we have bad weather. Doesn't do crap in the snow, unfortunately.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on May 02, 2018, 08:16:05 AM

I wonder if that’s a Canadian thing; I recall those options being standard on the US cars. Yet curiously you could get a Mazda 3 with manual locks..

Standard equipment varied from year to year, and the trim levels in Canada never matched up exactly with the ones in the States. Traction control and stability control (and TPMS...? not sure) were standard in Canada from the 2011 model year on, or maybe even halfway through the 2010 M.Y.

I know my car in particular is a bit of an oddball in this respect. Every other person I know who has or had one had traction and stability control at the very least.

Raza

I used to drive with it off in the dry in every car except the Box S and Z4. The E320 was probably me being a teenager and deciding I didn't need it because I was born an elite drift king (and eventually a spin is why I started using it in the rain), the Passat and the Jetta being FWD and only 170 and 200hp respectively, they actually just didn't need it. FWD, not high power; traction control became more of a bother than a safety feature. The systems either got in the way or weren't needed.

In the Boxster S and Z4, the traction control systems are so lenient and the cars have so much grip that if they're coming on in public roads, you're either doing something incredibly illegal and dangerous or the road conditions are really bad. I drive the Z4 pretty hard (when I get out of the city, anyway) and traction control really only trips on hard 1-2 shifts. When it's raining and cold and the DTC light comes on, it's usually not because I'm going all out, it's because of greasy road conditions.

Oh, I guess I should also mention the S4. I've never had the light come on, even in snow. So I've never found it necessary to turn off. Audi's Quattro system is amazing. If I ever get another FWD car again, I imagine it'll follow the same pattern of TCS off because it gets in the way or isn't necessary. AWD feels like a "why bother?" step to take the time to turn off the system because it doesn't get in the way anyway. RWD will depend on the car and the situation.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

The RX-8's didn't really kick on much. So it was on most of the time.
Ive not turned it off on the 6 yet.

My other cars don't have it.
bah weep granah weep nini bon