RX-8

Started by TBR, January 14, 2006, 07:17:36 PM

TBR

Supposedly the RX-8 is supposed to get a fairly major update for 2006, has anyone seen any info on it?

cozmik

The only thing I've heard is 212 hp and a 6 speed for the automatic version.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

There better be more to it than that, I don't care what they do to the AT version.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

That sucks, I thought there was supposed to be a significant power boost for MT versions.

ifcar

Maybe the update's scheduled for 07. I believe the 06 has already been on sale for several months.  

Raza

The keyless thing is really awesome.  The MX-5 I drove had it.  Though not as seamless as the Mercedes system (there's still a turnkey, not a button) it's such a cool thing.  If pointless automotive technology were to progress in this direction, I wouldn't mind.  Starter buttons are really stupid--you put a key in, in some cases, turn the key, and then press a button, often times, with your second hand, since so many companies put the starter button on the other side of the wheel--it's more complicated than a regular starter system.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BRealistic

QuoteThere better be more to it than that, I don't care what they do to the AT version.
Why?

I mean, the chassis can easily handle more power, and more power is always a good thing, but why "there better be more then that"?

I guess the 350Z got a mild power boost on expensive top models in 05 (4%- 13hp)- which was its third year of production, so even a mild cost exptra boost in engine output would be welcome.

I guess maybe 07 is the year for something new- or Mazda might release a special edition (more than a 'shinka' trim edition- Mazda loves special trim editions for some reason) mid year for 06.

MrH

Also, rumor has it that '06 RX-8's probably won't be out until early summer.  Their current factory is too busy trying to keep up with the MX-5 and CX-7 demand and have the RX-8 on the back burner right now since it has more 05's on dealers' lots than it would like right now.  Also, from what I hear, it's a new navigation system for '06 too.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TBR

QuoteThere better be more to it than that, I don't care what they do to the AT version.
Why?

I mean, the chassis can easily handle more power, and more power is always a good thing, but why "there better be more then that"?

I guess the 350Z got a mild power boost on expensive top models in 05 (4%- 13hp)- which was its third year of production, so even a mild cost exptra boost in engine output would be welcome.

I guess maybe 07 is the year for something new- or Mazda might release a special edition (more than a 'shinka' trim edition- Mazda loves special trim editions for some reason) mid year for 06.
I don't have a problem with the current MT version's power, but I've gotten all excited about a major power boost so this new is a disappointment.

And, if they haven't started building 2006 models yet then there probably won't be a 2006 MY for the RX-8 at all.

ifcar

Why not? Once inventories are back at the levels they'd prefer, why wouldn't they build the 06s to replenish the supply?

They certainly aren't about to discontinue it if that's what you're suggesting.  

Raza

I'm pretty sure there are 06s on the lots already.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I am not suggesting that, I am suggesting just not making an 2006 model. Why even bother making the 2006s if they can't make them until late spring, the same time they begin to switch their other models to the 2007 model year?

ifcar

QuoteI'm pretty sure there are 06s on the lots already.
That's what I had thought. I'll check some dealer inventories. <_<

TBR, they'd be technically allowed to call any car built through December of this year a 2006 model run, so I see no reason they wouldn't have time to build one even if they haven't yet.  

TBR

But why would they? People will pay more for 2007s.

ifcar

All 113 RX-8s within 150 miles of me were 05s. I guess that's accurate.  

ifcar

QuoteBut why would they? People will pay more for 2007s.
Not necessarily. And it wouldn't have to be a long model run, maybe February/March through September. The 07s don't arrive en masse until later in the year.

Skipping a model year would also really age the 05s left on the lot when the 07s arrive.  

TBR

Yes, I suppose that would seriously devalue the 2005s that would still be on the lots. But, people will almost always pay more for a "newer" new car.

Raza

I mean, I'm pretty sure I drove an 06.  I'll call my guy tomorrow.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BRealistic

QuoteAll 113 RX-8s within 150 miles of me were 05s. I guess that's accurate.
113? wow. But you live in a very dense area. Dense as in population per square mile, not intelligence. (cough cough, hmmm)

Yeah, www.mazdausa.com shows 31 new 05 RX-8s within 150 miles of my area. Of those 31 05s, only 6 are auto tranny models. Hmm, I would have expected exactly the opposite- with most left over 05s being auto tranny models. But maybe this is why Mazda decided to improve the auto tranny model for 06, since most buyers must be shunning the 6 speed anyways based solely on the manual clutch, so making the auto tranny model better may increase sales more than bumping the power on the 6 speed model. Sad,,, sad.

BRealistic

QuoteI mean, I'm pretty sure I drove an 06.  I'll call my guy tomorrow.
I'd bet against that. What's the wager?

BRealistic

QuoteBut why would they? People will pay more for 2007s.
Not necessarily. And it wouldn't have to be a long model run, maybe February/March through September. The 07s don't arrive en masse until later in the year.

Skipping a model year would also really age the 05s left on the lot when the 07s arrive.
One thing about the local Mazda dealers in my area- I have noticed that they purchase vehicles in bulk early in the year- and most of them actually plan to have many in stock to take advantage of the factory rebates made available later in the year (you can only use most factory rebates and incentives on dealer inventory vehicles). They are taking a gamble with being stuck with last year models in the hopes that the number of dealer inventory models still in stock will force Mazda to offer big rebates.

I remember one local small Mazda dealer had like #20 2004 B-series trucks left over last January that had been sitting there for almost a year, because they had purchased a big amount in early 03 hoping to sell them when the biggest rebates kicked in later in 04. I think Mazda's discount price image exploited by many dealers actually hurts the brand as a whole. But I don't know how they could change this, unless they just lowered the prices of vehicles across the board and only used very small incentives (like Toyota and Honda do).

Raza

QuoteI mean, I'm pretty sure I drove an 06.  I'll call my guy tomorrow.
$.23

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BRealistic

QuoteI mean, I'm pretty sure I drove an 06.  I'll call my guy tomorrow.
$.23
Naw- sorry. Too rich for my blood.

ifcar

QuoteAll 113 RX-8s within 150 miles of me were 05s. I guess that's accurate.
113? wow. But you live in a very dense area. Dense as in population per square mile, not intelligence. (cough cough, hmmm)
More to the point, a 150-mile radius of DC includes DC itself, Baltimore, Richmond, and parts of Norfolk/VA Beach, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. A lot of the space in that is empty, but it hits a number of major population areas.  

TBR

Yep, that is like how I live in the middle of nowhere but within 150 miles of me there are two of the largest metro areas in the country (Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth of course).

Tom

Breal has the nicest car on the forum I think, aside from Lebowski, but technically he doesn't have his yet.

BRealistic

QuoteBreal has the nicest car on the forum I think, aside from Lebowski, but technically he doesn't have his yet.
I wouldn't say that. Have you seen Ifcar's pimpin part van yet? sweet.

TBR

QuoteBreal has the nicest car on the forum I think, aside from Lebowski, but technically he doesn't have his yet.
Depends on your taste. Both Ron and Dazzle drive pretty nice cars as well.

MrH

Faris has a pretty damn nice car too.

I don't think anyone can trump the almighty Protege5 though!  :D  
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited