All weather tires?

Started by veeman, August 19, 2018, 10:17:29 AM

veeman

https://www.consumerreports.org/tires/all-weather-tires-offer-an-edge-in-snowy-conditions-perform-well-year-round/

Any of you try these new all weather tires?  My Crosstrek has 48,000 miles on it and the tires still look pretty good.  When I do change them, I was going to put Michelin CrossClimate tires on which are these new all weather tires.  They're not as good as winter tires in the snow but seem to be better than regular tires and they're fine to use during warm seasons as well.  I wish they made them in the size my SUV wheels are but they don't. 

Galaxy

I am a bit suspicious about this distinction between all weather and all season tires. Is this some marketing thing?

In the end a dedicated tire will always offer more performance. The difficult question sometimes is dedicated to what? In Germany winter tires are actually mostly rain tires, they are designed to dispel as much water as possible, they do take into account snow performance but it is not the highest priority. On actual snow, a tire like the Nokian Hakkaapelitta will offer more performance.

93JC

I have Nokian WR G3s on my car, and they are noticeably better in the snow than my old Bridgestone Turanza all-seasons were. They don't seem to be wearing out any faster than the all-seasons did, which was something I was a little concerned about; dedicated winter tires are decimated by warm, dry pavement.

The only big downside so far is that they're loud. Very loud.

giant_mtb

General Grabber AT2 or bust.