Symmetrical All Wheel Fail

Started by r0tor, August 24, 2018, 07:11:06 PM

RomanChariot

Quote from: GoCougs on August 28, 2018, 09:26:02 AM
That X1 does not have open diffs (or in the least has torque vectoring) and it's also a more expensive vehicle.

But these videos aren't helping you. The reaction time of the X1 is so slow it's really not that much more capable off road vs. the Highlander.

The X1 has open differentials with a wet pack clutch that shifts torque between the front and rear axles. If one tire starts spinning the traction control system brakes that tire to send power to the tire with traction. I'm kind of surprised that Toyota doesn't engage the traction control system to do the same thing.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on August 28, 2018, 10:37:48 AM
What is your goddamn point?

His point is that he's not the demographic for the Roxor so it must be an immense pile of overpriced shit.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 28, 2018, 10:46:47 AM
Lockers were a relative rarity on the trails until a decade or so ago, and many vehicles did just fine without them. Yes, you often had to be smart and choose your line carefully; instead of like these videos where the driver chooses the worst line and the worst techniques in order to prove a point.

I enjoy picking lines. Wheel placement is an art.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 28, 2018, 10:46:47 AM
Lockers were a relative rarity on the trails until a decade or so ago, and many vehicles did just fine without them. Yes, you often had to be smart and choose your line carefully; instead of like these videos where the driver chooses the worst line and the worst techniques in order to prove a point.

So if your buying or designing something to go crawlin'... Why use a pair of open diffs?
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 11:47:16 AM
So if your buying or designing something to go crawlin'... Why use a pair of open diffs?

*you're

For the umpteenth time: None of the vehicles you have mentioned are or ever were presented as dedicated rock crawlers. The Roxor is best thought of as a utility offroader, much like the original Jeeps on which its based, and the SBSs it competes with and likely does fine in that role.

Why might one want open diffs? Because they're reliable, durable, simple, and about a thousand times less likely to break axles. Because it clearly isn't aimed at the meathead gonzo extreme offroader who believes he needs 37 inch tires and 800 HP to feel like a real man.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

I mean- have you ever driven a vehicle with front and rear lockers on the street?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 11:47:16 AM

Rock crawling =/= trail tractoring.

r0tor

So first I say it's toi under powered to have fun..

... Then get "oh its for crawling dude"

.... Point out it sucks for crawling with open diffs

... Now it's a "utility offroader" and made for tractor ING competing against rivals 1/3 to half the price??  But it's still amazing!

Holy fuck you people are entertaining
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 12:23:12 PM

... Now it's a "utility offroader" and made for tractor ING competing against rivals 1/3 to half the price??  But it's still amazing!

What rivals are 1/3rd the price?

MX793

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 10:26:55 AM
Mules and Gators can be had for less than 1/2 the price. 

Why the hell would a farmer buy a $20k Roxor to move 3000 lbs of farm equipment when they could just get a beater truck to move 3x that?

In an atv trail I'd rather be on an atv or something that can keep up with one.

If you're looking at the base, 15 hp, 2WD models, maybe...  Gator and Mule are entire families of products.  The closest Gator in spec to the Roxor is the XUV835.  Those start at $13k.  The closest Mule is the Mule Pro-FX, which starts at $12k.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 28, 2018, 12:27:10 PM
What rivals are 1/3rd the price?

Mule, Gator, glorified golf carts - shrug-

Soup DeVille

93JC

r0tor: just shut the fuck up already. We're all tired of your shit.

What the hell happened in the last couple years that turned you into this badgering, argumentative knob you've become? You start stupid, petty arguments in every god-damned thread you chime in on. And for what? You think you're going to change anyone's mind? You're just alienating yourself.

Lebowski

I don't understand the point of this thread. Who buys a Highlander for hard off-road use?  Toyota has other products for people who want that :huh:

2o6

Quote from: Lebowski on August 28, 2018, 01:33:30 PM
I don't understand the point of this thread. Who buys a Highlander for hard off-road use?  Toyota has other products for people who want that :huh:

It's literally for getting soccer moms home safely when it's a little snowy out

r0tor

Quote from: 93JC on August 28, 2018, 01:30:11 PM
r0tor: just shut the fuck up already. We're all tired of your shit.

What the hell happened in the last couple years that turned you into this badgering, argumentative knob you've become? You start stupid, petty arguments in every god-damned thread you chime in on. And for what? You think you're going to change anyone's mind? You're just alienating yourself.

Go fuck yourself then

I start a thread about Subaru putting in a shit ass cvt that they basically need to put the car into limp mode in order to protect it during any kind of strain... They deserve to get this rubbed in their face

I get a fucktard hijack with the Roxor (which I DIDN'T START) because he is pissed that I think it's an overpriced POS (and it is).  Go SMOKE ONE BRO AND DEAL WITH IT

I get a fucktard thread hijack about JEEPS (WHICH I DIDN'T START).  BUY A CUV THAT'S 1WD... Your loss

I get a fucktard thread hijack about Lebowski's sore ass (which I did not start).  THE TRUST FUND BABY CAN STILL KISS MY ASS.

Soup DeVille

You know, if you want to whine about threads being hijacked, don't turn every point made into some long drawn out, strangely personal crusade.

Oh, and you're the one who started the weird "lol these CUVs can't even drive off the wrong side of a shipping dock" videos.

GoCougs

Lebowski

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 01:44:46 PM

Go fuck yourself then

I start a thread about Subaru putting in a shit ass cvt that they basically need to put the car into limp mode in order to protect it during any kind of strain... They deserve to get this rubbed in their face

I get a fucktard hijack with the Roxor (which I DIDN'T START) because he is pissed that I think it's an overpriced POS (and it is).  Go SMOKE ONE BRO AND DEAL WITH IT

I get a fucktard thread hijack about JEEPS (WHICH I DIDN'T START).  BUY A CUV THAT'S 1WD... Your loss

I get a fucktard thread hijack about Lebowski's sore ass (which I did not start).  THE TRUST FUND BABY CAN STILL KISS MY ASS.

Seems this thread has gone exactly how any of us could have predicted it would.

12,000 RPM

r0tor the longer you deny whatever issues are prompting this behavior the worse it's gonna get. It's OK to ask for help.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

SJ_GTI

Guys, any thoughts on if my Golf could make it up these trails? I am assuming since I have AWD I can pretty much get through any of these.

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 12:23:12 PM

If I've ever said it's for crawling, I didn't mean rock crawling. lol. I mean trail crawling...tractoring.  Like what I do nearly every day in the Taco. 

You are way out of your element.  You are so butthurt that somebody might want something that you don't, it's astonishing. 

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 28, 2018, 02:34:05 PM
Guys, any thoughts on if my Golf could make it up these trails? I am assuming since I have AWD I can pretty much get through any of these.

No.  In fact, your crappy Haldex AWD system would be rendered useless in even a minor snow storm.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

I doubt it, but having done a lot of ill advised things in cars before, I have to say if you're smart and careful, it would likely surprise you how far you can get.

CaminoRacer

You just need some 35"s
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

Probably, VWs brake based vlsd's are awesome

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 28, 2018, 02:45:12 PM
If I've ever said it's for crawling, I didn't mean rock crawling. lol. I mean trail crawling...tractoring.  Like what I do nearly every day in the Taco. 

You are way out of your element.  You are so butthurt that somebody might want something that you don't, it's astonishing. 

If you have to chase me down in a separate thread to spread your crap - then face it, you already lost

12,000 RPM

Quote from: r0tor on August 28, 2018, 04:59:17 PM
If you have to chase me down in a separate thread to spread your crap - then face it, you already lost
What have you won?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

You say "chase" like there's some sort of effort browsing the forum, or that the traffic is so thick one has to search for anything. Not like there is actually some overlap in interest or anything. Not like Carspin threads ever stay strictly on topic.

Its not like you didn't feed into the comment and go off the rails, or that there isn't some difference between what was meant between "crawling" and moab style rock crawling, or that there isn't some disconnect between what you and him are saying.

Its weird man.

giant_mtb

Who took the bait and pulled all the line...?