CR-V engine problems

Started by Payman, October 05, 2018, 12:37:56 PM

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on July 13, 2019, 11:06:55 AM

Turbos + gasoline will always be a recipe for poor(er) mpg and reliability due to the inherent science that underpins them; mainly, that turbo motors have to run a lower compression ratio (and of course that the turbo adds a bunch of stuff, particularly the turbo, which is baked in super high temps).

and of course that all has been proven to be bullshit in various tests and the fact it's the direction every automaker has headed
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

HurricaneSteve

Mind if I ask what car you owned that had a turbo? A Civic with the 1.5T (coupe, hatch or Si) 6MT with a lifetime powertrain warranty is mighty tempting, issues and all. There's also one 2018 Golf 1.8T 5MT for 18K that I've been swayed to entertain as well.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 13, 2019, 10:06:29 AM
I'd say it's widespread enough with the 1.5T that it can't be written off as anomalous. Honda issued a TSB after all.

I'm neutral on turbos. Maybe slightly negative. I don't plan on buying another one

GoCougs

Quote from: veeman on July 13, 2019, 05:46:07 PM
Regarding "fascist immoral law enacted forcing use of EVs".  Not commenting on the fascist or immoral aspect, but these laws are not going to go away and have already created the fertile soil for the future dominance of EV.  China and Western Europe have already enacted laws basically forcing EV adoption.  These laws will not change.

The laws will go away if people can't afford EVs and companies can't turn a profit making EVs, both of which are true at present, and both of which have no conceivable remedy, other than state ownership, akin to the railroads or airlines.

Both Europe and China have profound cultural and financial issues on the horizon, akin to what Japan has been facing the last ~15 years. Japan has been trying to hit the EV and hybrid thing hard, but even given huge government action in that direction, and an extreme conservation culture found nowhere on the planet, EVs are still a dog that don't hunt.

EVs will never be more than what they've always been. For decades EVs have been used in industry - buses, forklifts, golf carts, etc. - and they work good for those very limited applications, and that is where EVs will stay.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on July 13, 2019, 06:46:15 PM
and of course that all has been proven to be bullshit in various tests and the fact it's the direction every automaker has headed

Not at all, even if turbo motors didn't get worse mpg they will always be less durable and more expensive to repair.

The largest automaker in the world (Toyota) is largely skipping turbos, and some of the top selling vehicles in the world, such as GM and Ram trucks, are also N/A.

And as we know, some places in the world tax displacement, even if the smaller motor gets worse MPG (i.e., false premise).

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on July 13, 2019, 11:08:16 PM

EVs will never be more than what they've always been. For decades EVs have been used in industry - buses, forklifts, golf carts, etc. - and they work good for those very limited applications, and that is where EVs will stay.

Why do I feel like the naysayers were saying the exact same thing about electrifying buses, forklifts, golf carts, etc... decades ago when those things weren't electric?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on July 14, 2019, 05:25:04 AM
Why do I feel like the naysayers were saying the exact same thing about electrifying buses, forklifts, golf carts, etc... decades ago when those things weren't electric?

The boilerplate of such things was electric commuter trolleys/trains which hit the scene in force circa 1900, and there is material advantage to an electric forklift (operating indoors) whereas there is no analog with retail EVs, save for maybe city commuting, but again that was solved ~100 years ago with electric trolleys and buses.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 13, 2019, 11:06:55 AM
Remember how hybrids were going to change the world? ~20 years on and the only hybrid worth mentioning is the Prius, and it's pretty much a sales curiosity, being WAY WAY outsold by the likes of the Rav-4, Corolla, Civic, Accord, etc. Same as it will be for EVs and hydrogen and my bet, turbos - interesting, but curiosities at best.

Turbos + gasoline will always be a recipe for poor(er) mpg and reliability due to the inherent science that underpins them; mainly, that turbo motors have to run a lower compression ratio (and of course that the turbo adds a bunch of stuff, particularly the turbo, which is baked in super high temps).
The reason the Prius is a sales curiosity is because its tech has been transferred to normal, better vehicles like the RAV4, Corolla, Civic, Accord etc.

Turbo cars are far from a sales curiousity as well. More than half of F150 sales are Ecoboost. Every German car besides a few limited edition Porsches are turbo. Every Honda Accord is either turbocharged or a hybrid (how curious)

I am all for the power of positive thinking but stating your wishes as fact doesn't quite make for convincing arguments

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MX793 on July 14, 2019, 05:25:04 AM
None of those things have the wide operating parameters and requirements of passenger cars

The success of previous, largely unrelated technologies is no guarantee of the success of BEVs. I've heard a lot of people dismiss BEV skepticism as the same kind of skepticism horse users had for cars. I personally just don't see the connection

Galaxy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 14, 2019, 11:03:15 AM
None of those things have the wide operating parameters and requirements of passenger cars

The success of previous, largely unrelated technologies is no guarantee of the success of BEVs. I've heard a lot of people dismiss BEV skepticism as the same kind of skepticism horse users had for cars. I personally just don't see the connection

Then where is the answer of the fuel companies?

Formula 1 is desperately trying to introduce E-fuels. They will start with small quantities in 2021, but they think it will be 2025 before an entire season can be run on 100% E-fuels. That is quite negative for the prospect of filling up all road going petrol cars with E-fuels.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 14, 2019, 11:00:53 AM
The reason the Prius is a sales curiosity is because its tech has been transferred to normal, better vehicles like the RAV4, Corolla, Civic, Accord etc.

Turbo cars are far from a sales curiousity as well. More than half of F150 sales are Ecoboost. Every German car besides a few limited edition Porsches are turbo. Every Honda Accord is either turbocharged or a hybrid (how curious)

I am all for the power of positive thinking but stating your wishes as fact doesn't quite make for convincing arguments

Stats say otherwise. US hybrid market share peaked in 2013 and has been on the decline since, down more than 30%. Some of that is no doubt due to EV sales but how much is hard to say. Again, ~20 years on, and hybrid+EV+plug in is a sales curiosity, amounting to ~1.8% USDM market share, esp. spread across so many marques.

Sit tight. Ford spending big $$$ to develop an entirely new pooprod 450 hp gas N/A V8 rather than use the 450 hp Ecoboost 3.5L is a watershed moment on the subject of ubiquitous turbo usage, and GM sticking with their LT V8 and 3.6L V6, and Ram sticking with the Hemi and Pentastar V6, says a lot as well.

FoMoJo

Quote from: GoCougs on July 14, 2019, 12:34:21 PM
Stats say otherwise. US hybrid market share peaked in 2013 and has been on the decline since, down more than 30%. Some of that is no doubt due to EV sales but how much is hard to say. Again, ~20 years on, and hybrid+EV+plug in is a sales curiosity, amounting to ~1.8% USDM market share, esp. spread across so many marques.

Sit tight. Ford spending big $$$ to develop an entirely new pooprod 450 hp gas N/A V8 rather than use the 450 hp Ecoboost 3.5L is a watershed moment on the subject of ubiquitous turbo usage, and GM sticking with their LT V8 and 3.6L V6, and Ram sticking with the Hemi and Pentastar V6, says a lot as well.
Strange that you do not seem to recall that hybrids, small displacement turbo engines, the laughable displacement-on-demand engines, have always been presented as an interim measure until electric/fuel cell/potential other energy sourced vehicles and their infrastructure, including widespread use of renewable energies, are more feasible.  This has been my understanding.

That hybrids are on the wane and being replaced by more efficient rechargeable battery EVs is to be expected.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

I wonder what gasoline-diluted oil is doing for the longevity of my turbo.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on July 14, 2019, 04:21:02 PM
I wonder what gasoline-diluted oil is doing for the longevity of my turbo.

Probably keeping it mega clean. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 14, 2019, 12:34:21 PM

Not sure where your stats are from but as late as 2017 HEV market share alone was over 2%. PHEVs have gone from nothing to over 1% over the last 8 years. I'm sure BEVs push that to over 4%. Small change but let's at least deal with facts

Again the Germans have basically gone 100% turbo on their ICE fleet with no indication of reversing course. Every manufacturer has some variation of the 2.0T and some kind of turbo 6 pot too. Again hoping for manufacturers to ditch turbos and electrification is in no way an indicator that they actually will.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 14, 2019, 04:41:19 PM
Not sure where your stats are from but as late as 2017 HEV market share alone was over 2%. PHEVs have gone from nothing to over 1% over the last 8 years. I'm sure BEVs push that to over 4%. Small change but let's at least deal with facts

Again the Germans have basically gone 100% turbo on their ICE fleet with no indication of reversing course. Every manufacturer has some variation of the 2.0T and some kind of turbo 6 pot too. Again hoping for manufacturers to ditch turbos and electrification is in no way an indicator that they actually will.

Yes it is! I've personally talked to Mr. BMW himself! Forced induction is O-U-T and so passè.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 14, 2019, 04:41:19 PM

Europe was also way in on diesel, and it was a disaster, for the same base reasons, and ze Germans have never built great motors, so sit tight ;).

r0tor

Oh right... The market that sells to the lowest common denominator (you know, completely overpriced massive trucks that sell entirely on image and will never be used for anything other that getting groceries at 15mpg) is a clear indication of the future of engine development
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 14, 2019, 09:52:39 PM
Europe was also way in on diesel, and it was a disaster, for the same base reasons, and ze Germans have never built great motors, so sit tight ;).
More baseless prognostication

Quote from: r0tor on July 15, 2019, 05:09:18 AM
Oh right... The market that sells to the lowest common denominator (you know, completely overpriced massive trucks that sell entirely on image and will never be used for anything other that getting groceries at 15mpg) is a clear indication of the future of engine development
Why not lead by example... trade in your sports sedan and luxury SUV for some more self righteous cars to show how much better you are than everybody

Yes the US buy a lot of excessive pointless vehicles. We do because we can

r0tor

You right... Let me sell everything and plunk down $60k for something that could have been designed 30 years ago... But hey, it can tow my non existant 10,000lb boat and it has a huuuuge screen and enoooooormous grill

12,000 RPM

I mean you have 4 cars in a household with 2 drivers... and your daily is complete overkill for your commute. You're in no position to bitch about other people's excess :huh:

r0tor

Only 3 cars... A 16 year old Mazda, a 9 year old Jeep, and the absolute perfect car for my commute

Excuse my excess

12,000 RPM

Does your wife not have a car :confused:

And yes I excuse your excesses the way you should excuse those of pickup truck drivers... an EB F150 with the old 6AT gets better combined gas mileage than your JGC or RX-8 :wtf:

r0tor

Wife drives the Jeep.

The RX8 has no trade in value so it is not leaving and the wife already thinks the JGC is too big... Don't see a future for a truck and if there was a need there is no reason not to buy a 20 year old truck over an overpriced new one

12,000 RPM

Hey man I'm not judging or commanding, that's your forte

Just saying it's stupid to dump on the F150 when your JGC has cost about the same and got the same gas mileage for the last decade or so, and 2 out of the 3 vehicles you own can't beat an F150's gas mileage

Glass stones and all that, practice what you preach

MrH

If r0tor were to practice what he preached, he'd be sniffing his own farts and driving a Prius for sure :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I paid $35k new for the JGC... A mildly equipped ecoboost 4WD F150 is in the mid $50k and at the end of the day still drives and handles like a 20 year old truck

Yea, not thanks... Next vehicle purchase will actually be an upgrade in ride handling and performance

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on July 15, 2019, 08:36:45 AM
I paid $35k new for the JGC... A mildly equipped ecoboost 4WD F150 is in the mid $50k and at the end of the day still drives and handles like a 20 year old truck

Yea, not thanks... Next vehicle purchase will actually be an upgrade in ride handling and performance

https://youtu.be/F8P5vGcf-NU

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on July 15, 2019, 05:09:18 AM

Trucks are not overpriced if you can afford them (but they are ridiculous).

Some automakers have gone in hard on turbos, and some haven't. Those that have (Ford, Honda, ze Germans to a bit lesser extent) have had moderate to major problems with them.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on July 15, 2019, 08:36:45 AM

$35k in 2010 is ~$49k today.

A moderately-equipped MY2010 F-150 4WD (F-150 4WD SuperCrew 145' XLT V8) had an MSRP of $35,405:  https://www.autotrader.com/Ford/F150/2010

A moderately equipped MY2019 F150 4WD (F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCab 8' Box w/Ecoboost 3.5L) has an MSRP of $42,750:  https://www.autotrader.com/Ford/F150/2019

So yes, Sporty gets the W here - you effectively bought an F150 Ecoboost (i.e., the benefits therein - high(ish) MSRP, ~15 MPG, excess utility, lumbering road manners, but hey, at least it's smaller).