EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Galaxy

A utility in the German state of Baden Württemberg has completed a 16 month test in an apartment building to ascertain the grid impact.

This is the test object:

So basically a medium sized building.

The building has 85 parking spaces. For the test 58 of those were equipped with free 11kW charge stations (the remaining owners did no want to take part in the project), and were equipped with 24 eGolfs, and 21 BMW i3s, which were free for the duration of the test. 13 privately owned electric cars (not mentioned what they are ) were already present in the garage, and partook in the study. The participants were supplied with free electricity.

The Utility said that grid load was much lower then anticipated.

The biggest surprise for the utility was that the maximum number of e cars that charged simultaneously was 13, on average it was less then 5.

The highest draw on the grid was 98 kW.
During the 16 month, a load of 80kW was reached for 884 minutes, a load of 90 kW was reached for 91 minutes. Much lower then anticipated.
Peak load was between 18:00 - 20:30,
On average the fleet charged 241.4 kWh per day (which the installation in the garage could delivery in 2 hours), and an average charge cycled charged 17.3 kWh.
On average each car in the fleet was driven 1100km per month, and 13200 per year. They do point out that due to COVID and home office, this was lower then anticipated.

The final report is not out yet, but overall their initial assessment is that their grid would not be pushed to the limit as quickly as anticipated. One thing I would point out is that both the eGolf as well as the i3 are at the lower end of charging capacity, but one would assume that they know that. Still, I want to see them rerun the test with 58 Hummer EVs.  :devil:

They currently have another project running in a rural village, a road with 60 houses ending in a farmers field, with 5 houses having solar panels, and 15 heat pumps. This project is also getting a 66kWh battery as a buffer to test load management. 

JWC

I was just reading that Ford has applied for a patent to charge EVs while being flat towed behind another vehicle....I guess for the RV crowd?

Galaxy

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Galaxy on July 18, 2021, 03:33:23 PM
Wonder what it is about that road. There are other windy roads with lots of regen. 

Probably just the amount of Regen, and Mach E drivers haven't been to those other roads en masse :lol:
Will

JWC

I guess they need dynamic braking.

GoCougs

Quote from: JWC on July 18, 2021, 02:00:35 PM
I was just reading that Ford has applied for a patent to charge EVs while being flat towed behind another vehicle....I guess for the RV crowd?

Could be but that would significantly increase the drag (and fuel consumption of) on the RV, and probably cause braking issues too without a complicated EV brake controller.

You're probably aware but up until the early '60s or so US automatic transmissions had a rear fluid pump - meaning, you could push start it just as with a manual transmission vehicle. I'm guess this is an EV equivalent of that.

CaminoRacer

Yeah, tow charging only makes sense as a last resort, due to the increased drag of towing with regen.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MrH

It's probably like that diesel engine sketch from a long time ago, with the exhaust feeding the intake.

Infinite energy! :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on July 19, 2021, 12:30:25 PM
Yeah, tow charging only makes sense as a last resort, due to the increased drag of towing with regen.

Unless you could (Smartly) program the brake controller with the regen and use it to slow the RV? Wouldn't be a ton but it would be "some".
Will

RomanChariot

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on July 19, 2021, 07:47:57 PM
Unless you could (Smartly) program the brake controller with the regen and use it to slow the RV? Wouldn't be a ton but it would be "some".

It could be setup like most trailer brakes so that regen only kicks in when the RV brakes are applied and only enough to handle the braking force required for the EV. That would require some form of communication between the RV and EV.

AutobahnSHO

Yup- and safety that it doesn't overheat the EV..
Will

NomisR

the theory works with Teslas.. i don't think it's recommended but people have tried it...

At 5 miles per gallon.. not very efficient.. :lol:

https://youtu.be/nILM_DEdBqM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: NomisR on July 21, 2021, 12:49:16 AM
the theory works with Teslas.. i don't think it's recommended but people have tried it...

At 5 miles per gallon.. not very efficient.. :lol:

https://youtu.be/nILM_DEdBqM

Beyond dangerous and stupid, that car isn't rated to tow that much weight. And a tow strap at 70mph???!?!?!?  :mask:
Will

AutobahnSHO

I wonder if long regen like this burns stuff out?
Will

Morris Minor

Interesting WSJ article  - basically zero money is going into ICE development. The future is bright for software & electrical engineers. - not so bright for the traditional players & assembly line workers.

Gas Engines, and the People Behind Them, Are Cast Aside for Electric Vehicles
Transition not yet noticeable in showrooms, but industry resources have shifted. 'We're trying to make things change pretty quickly'

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gas-engines-cast-aside-electric-vehicles-job-losses-detroit-11627046285
(paywalled)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

SJ_GTI

Nikola being frauds seems like the least surprising news of 2021.  :lol:

NomisR

Rivian seems to still be in play though.. saw this a months ago

MrH

Rivian is the real deal. Lucid is a legitimate company that has a shot too. They should be launching soon. Faraday future is not a real company :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on July 30, 2021, 12:42:26 PM
Rivian is the real deal. Lucid is a legitimate company that has a shot too. They should be launching soon. Faraday future is not a real company :lol:

c'mon, big things coming!!

SJ_GTI

I mean, just the fact that they named it "Nikola" was a huge red flag to anyone remotely paying attention. It would be like starting a car company and calling "Colonel Motors" or "Prussian Motor Werke" or something.  :lol:

Morris Minor

In terms of self driving, I think we'll end up with two main players: Tesla and Apple. Both will license their software services to other manufacturers. Tesla is way ahead at the moment: hundreds of thousands of cars in the fleet acting on triggers from the ML infrastructure.
But this is so perfect for Apple to come in too and follow their old MO -  suck a few gems out of the heterogeneous mess and make something useful and elegant.
I'm not sure about Waymo - I know they have stuff out there & operational - but I'm thinking they may lean to robotaxis in specific carefully mapped market locations.

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 05, 2021, 09:52:01 AM
In terms of self driving, I think we'll end up with two main players: Tesla and Apple. Both will license their software services to other manufacturers. Tesla is way ahead at the moment: hundreds of thousands of cars in the fleet acting on triggers from the ML infrastructure.
But this is so perfect for Apple to come in too and follow their old MO -  suck a few gems out of the heterogeneous mess and make something useful and elegant.
I'm not sure about Waymo - I know they have stuff out there & operational - but I'm thinking they may lean to robotaxis in specific carefully mapped market locations.

This has to be a troll post. There's zero way your son works in this industry and you think Tesla is ahead at all. It's light years behind everyone else. Elon even started walking it back last quarterly call.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

Tell me who else has the infrastructure & eyes out there.

NomisR

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 05, 2021, 09:52:01 AM

I feel like Tesla's autopilot is overrated.  It's just a slightly more aggressive version of Lane Keep Assist and adaptive cruise control that most cars today has.  I was driving without my hands during our Yellowstone trip with out Honda Pilot.. the only think that annoyed me was the adaptive cruise control stops way too hard, but I've heard Acura's version does it way better. 

MrH

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 05, 2021, 10:21:01 AM
Tell me who else has the infrastructure & eyes out there.

There aren't countless terabytes of data being uploaded to some super computer like Tesla wants you to believe. You can see how much data is uploaded by each car. It is very little.

And what do you mean by infrastructure? Cars with terrible resolution cameras? The sensor suite isn't close to being sufficient. It's why every other player in the field is using LIDAR, vision, and radar. What Tesla is doing is grossly irresponsible. It's why Mobile Eye dropped them as a customer completely.

It's incredibly naive to think Tesla is anywhere close to actual autonomy. Go look at the number of disengagements per mile driven. Watch any video of anyone trying to latest "full self driving". Most can't go more than a couple miles before a disengagement. Compare that to the actual players in this field. You've been bamboozled.

https://youtu.be/jIRLuP2Gd3I

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited