EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

MrH

Quote from: Galaxy on March 10, 2022, 05:35:39 PM
The wiring harness supplier that is affected is Leoni, that is a German company with a global presence. Do I expect this to work without any snags? No. But VW's was forced to shut down some productions on day 4 of the Ukraine invasion.

I looked it up because I was curious.  It would be rare for there to be just one plant and one supplier in a country.

Sure enough, there are something like 30+ plants in Ukraine, most of which are wiring harnesses.  That's the problem, it's not just Leoni's one plant.  It's Leoni, Forschner, Kromberg & Schubert, Prettl, SEBN, Yazaki.  Some of which might be tier 2 to another.  Basically, war screws up supply chains bad, and it's only going to get worse.  Auto will allows source to labor intensive processes to the cheapest labor.  Many of those places are more prone to war.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: Galaxy on March 10, 2022, 05:39:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxuB4H6uCq8&t=6s

When Cammisa left (was fired?) Motortrend a few years ago, he initially fell into a hole, however he has really picked himself up again.

The production values of Camissa's videos are insane. Such a pleasure to watch. The Air really put the nails in the ICE coffin - charging logistics aside, the powertrain and packaging are massively superior in every measurable way over its top-tier ICE competition.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 11, 2022, 06:34:51 AM
Understood, my post was just clarifying that if they don't sell any (or really as many as they need to to stay in business) it will be the production that is the issue, not demand.

I think the issue that the demand is so high is still not a demand issue but a supply issue.. I guess one of the reasons why Tesla is doing so well as they can use their Chrysler like validation process to random supplies they get from Alibaba to meet compliance and push the parts through manufacturing.  Once everyone catches up with the supply side, the demand would be met and prices would come down.  I think this was the same case with housing as the housing supplies dropped by half during the pandemic creating a pent-up demand that drove up the price.. it was a supply issue as well, not really a demand issue.

Morris Minor

I'd say if you're getting any kind of electrical work done on your home, have them do what's needed for a 240V outlet in the garage. Also, unless WiFi reception in there is already strong, have then run an Ethernet cable for an access point.

Anticipating an irritation with home EV charging, lack of cable management: heavy cables dragging on the floor. They need to come down from, & retract back to, the ceiling.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 12, 2022, 05:56:26 AM
I'd say if you're getting any kind of electrical work done on your home, have them do what's needed for a 240V outlet in the garage. Also, unless WiFi reception in there is already strong, have then run an Ethernet cable for an access point.

Anticipating an irritation with home EV charging, lack of cable management: heavy cables dragging on the floor. They need to come down from, & retract back to, the ceiling.

I'm planning on running conduit along the ceiling and dropping it down a post.

Morris Minor

Unlike the last time I checked, a bit of Googling reveals that there are now players in the overheard cable management game. Ridiculously expensive though. I bet you could use an air hose retractor - something like you'd see in an auto service shop.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 12, 2022, 02:49:43 PM
Unlike the last time I checked, a bit of Googling reveals that there are now players in the overheard cable management game. Ridiculously expensive though. I bet you could use an air hose retractor - something like you'd see in an auto service shop.

The easiest solution would just be a pneumatic tool balancer.

https://industrialspringbalancer.com/products/Tool-Balancers
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

There was a drop light installed in my garage when we moved in. Love it.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 13, 2022, 05:07:42 AM
There was a drop light installed in my garage when we moved in. Love it.

I have this, bought on a recommendation in a Car and Driver article.. "if you only buy one thing for your garage, get one of these."

CaminoRacer

My dad had a drop light in our garage that we used all the time. But with cheap battery powered LED lights available nowadays, it's unnecessary.

An extension cord could be somewhat useful but I only use them every once in a while. Typically only for my shop vac or electric cutoff tools. Everything else is battery powered
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

GoCougs

Yes, that avante is legit. They're gonna have to work on the rear lower valence though - the jutting protuberances don't really work.

ChrisV

Not even a wagon guy but I'd take one in a heartbeat...

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on March 17, 2022, 12:00:57 AM
Yes, that avante is legit. They're gonna have to work on the rear lower valence though - the jutting protuberances don't really work.

Those chrome hoops? Yeah, they just don't seem right somehow.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ChrisV on March 17, 2022, 10:19:47 AM
Not even a wagon guy but I'd take one in a heartbeat...

Hawt
Will

CaminoRacer

Electrify America stations seem to be the best non-Tesla fast chargers. Our Bolt can get 48-52 kw speeds using the 350 kw chargers. Other brand chargers we've used have only managed 30-40 kw speeds. The car is rated at 55 kw max.

The newer cars that can charge at 150, 250, 350 kw will be much better on road trips.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

veeman

There's someone in my town who drops their kid off to school every day in a Polestar 2.  I've been noticing it in the school drop off line for a few months and at first didn't know what it was.  I love how it looks.  Not too expensive either for an EV plus it probably my guess still qualifies for a tax credit.  Range is less than a Tesla and it obviously doesn't have the awesome Tesla national charge network but I'm thinking about ordering one.  Just thinking about it.  No idea how much of a pain it is to get it serviced. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/polestar/polestar-2

MrH

Claimed range and actual range are very different things with Tesla.  It's pretty close to the standard range plus Model 3.

I love the looks of the Polestar 2 also.  There are two big problems with it though.  It's really heavy for what a small car it is.  I think it's like 4800 lbs?

And even though it starts at $45k, options add up quick.  AWD is an additional $4k.  Radar cruise control package is another $3200.  Any color other than black is $1,200.  You need to get the "Plus" option package to get a heat pump, which is a necessity where I live...another $4k.  You're now $60k and that's without the performance pack.

I think the EV6, Ioniq 5, and Q4 etron are all better values.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Quote from: MrH on March 31, 2022, 09:49:03 AM
Claimed range and actual range are very different things with Tesla.  It's pretty close to the standard range plus Model 3.

I love the looks of the Polestar 2 also.  There are two big problems with it though.  It's really heavy for what a small car it is.  I think it's like 4800 lbs?

And even though it starts at $45k, options add up quick.  AWD is an additional $4k.  Radar cruise control package is another $3200.  Any color other than black is $1,200.  You need to get the "Plus" option package to get a heat pump, which is a necessity where I live...another $4k.  You're now $60k and that's without the performance pack.

I think the EV6, Ioniq 5, and Q4 etron are all better values.

It's interesting that Hertz just ordered 65,000 Polestar 2s to be delivered over the next 5 years.  Roll out in Europe beginning soon and in North America and Australia in late 2022. 

Laconian

I parked next to an EV6 to get an idea of how the packaging compares to the Outback. The overall length is slightly shorter but the wheelbase appeared longer? The overhangs are much much smaller. The interior must be absolutely cavernous in that thing. Can't wait for a test drive.

afty

Quote from: Laconian on April 06, 2022, 11:01:38 AM
I parked next to an EV6 to get an idea of how the packaging compares to the Outback. The overall length is slightly shorter but the wheelbase appeared longer? The overhangs are much much smaller. The interior must be absolutely cavernous in that thing. Can't wait for a test drive.
A big benefit of not having an engine, and a good reason to prefer a purpose-built EV over one built on a multipurpose platform.

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on April 06, 2022, 11:01:38 AM

Yeah, packaging is a huge advantage with EVs. You can get massive wheelbases with little to no overhangs.  Not possible with a big flat 4 hanging in front of the front axles.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

afty

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a39665310/2022-gmc-hummer-ev-pickup-drive/

Not sure what to think of this thing. It's ridiculous, but I could see it selling well.

GoCougs

Meh, seems well executed, but at 9,000+ lbs, 1000+ hp and $110K it seems a caricature of a caricature, and I'll be surprised if it sells in more than token volume. Like the Bolt, it's destined to show that WtP are buying Tesla, not EVs, and portends of a catastrophe should government follow through on forcing EVs on WtP.

Anyway, Sandy Munroe bought a R1T. I find him quite outputting overall, but he has high praise for the R1T. Those welds though look sketch AF though (I'm guessing these early models are passing all sorts of QC checks and such):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8wCm233fXk

Morris Minor

I like the guy he has working for him who specializes in the art of car interiors: 'A' surfaces, 'B' surfaces, stretching, stitching, molding, panels, materials, extrusions. There's a whole world out there.

AutobahnSHO

Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on April 07, 2022, 09:29:49 PM
Meh, seems well executed, but at 9,000+ lbs, 1000+ hp and $110K it seems a caricature of a caricature, and I'll be surprised if it sells in more than token volume.

They will sell every one they can make for a year or two then fade to nothing...
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 11, 2022, 12:50:15 PM
They will sell every one they can make for a year or two then fade to nothing...
Their stated market is the off-road adventure crowd. An off-road wilderness adventure in a fully-laden R1T would be great if Rivian were to scatter charging stations around the Sonoran Desert, National Parks etc. But they won't.
So the actual market is the same as that for 99% of all SUVs & crossovers: on road-use, suburban yummy mummies, office parking lots. So they might as well not bother with the clever storage for tents, camping equipment & cooking gear.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 11, 2022, 06:17:48 PM
Their stated market is the off-road adventure crowd. An off-road wilderness adventure in a fully-laden R1T would be great if Rivian were to scatter charging stations around the Sonoran Desert, National Parks etc. But they won't.
So the actual market is the same as that for 99% of all SUVs & crossovers: on road-use, suburban yummy mummies, office parking lots. So they might as well not bother with the clever storage for tents, camping equipment & cooking gear.

An absolutely necessity to adapt EVs to that situation would be a portable backup power cell system. Even gas powered trucks often find they need more range and carry multiple jerry cans and fit larger tanks; especially in the places that actually do overlanding- Australia and Africa.

Without that range, what you get is PNW style instagram-landing; which basically constitutes taking pictures of your outfitted rig in scenic spaces outside the hotel room.