EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Morris Minor

Paywalled but it might allow a freebie.

TL;DR a couple of women drove an EV6 from New Orleans to Chicago & back. It was a bad experience because of the colossal shitshow that is the current situation of public charging.

I Rented an Electric Car for a Four-Day Road Trip. I Spent More Time Charging It Than I Did Sleeping.
Our writer drove from New Orleans to Chicago and back to test the feasibility of taking a road trip in an EV. She wouldn't soon do it again.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-rented-an-electric-car-for-a-four-day-road-trip-i-spent-more-time-charging-it-than-i-did-sleeping-11654268401
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on June 03, 2022, 10:27:18 AM
GM EVs are actually not bad though.  They're one of the best driving EVs out there.  It does everything a normal ICE can do and if it's priced like an ICE, it could sell pretty well.   My friend who now has an i4 on order, may end up getting the Bolt with the price cut if they're available before the i4.

Actually, I've said since the beginning that the Bolt was better than the base Model 3 - better car sans supercharging, much higher quality and cheaper, too. AAAAAnnnnd, it sold in only token volume.

WtP buy Tesla, not EVs.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 05, 2022, 05:42:09 AM
Paywalled but it might allow a freebie.

TL;DR a couple of women drove an EV6 from New Orleans to Chicago & back. It was a bad experience because of the colossal shitshow that is the current situation of public charging.

I Rented an Electric Car for a Four-Day Road Trip. I Spent More Time Charging It Than I Did Sleeping.
Our writer drove from New Orleans to Chicago and back to test the feasibility of taking a road trip in an EV. She wouldn't soon do it again.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/i-rented-an-electric-car-for-a-four-day-road-trip-i-spent-more-time-charging-it-than-i-did-sleeping-11654268401

Most of these stories wouldn't be nearly as dramatic if the drivers had any prior experience with EVs and charging
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Man, I'm honestly running the pros and cons in my head of replacing the MX5 with a 2023 Bolt EV and the results are troubling me. The conflicted feelings I'm experiencing are probably good fodder for a therapist appointment :lol:

A small, efficient EV would be the perfect counterpart to the Subie. Our DD would then become the Bolt and the Subie would be the long range, haul things, already a bit dented car. We drive the Subie 5 miles for every one I do in the Miata. So it would be an upgrade in terms of the fun-to-drive DD experience. Our 80th percentile trip length is around 25 mi, and 98th percentile maybe 150. We'd use the shit out of it.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Morris Minor

Quote from: GoCougs on June 05, 2022, 07:24:55 PM
Actually, I've said since the beginning that the Bolt was better than the base Model 3 - better car sans supercharging, much higher quality and cheaper, too. AAAAAnnnnd, it sold in only token volume.

WtP buy Tesla, not EVs.
GM appears to be deliberately destroying shareholder value. The Bolt fiasco (I'm not talking about the battery fires) is part of the wider scheme.
Tesla will thrive.
Ford will do fine.
Kia/Hyundai will do fine.

GM is fading away.

heelntoe

Quote from: Laconian on June 05, 2022, 10:44:23 PM
Man, I'm honestly running the pros and cons in my head of replacing the MX5 with a 2023 Bolt EV and the results are troubling me. The conflicted feelings I'm experiencing are probably good fodder for a therapist appointment :lol:

A small, efficient EV would be the perfect counterpart to the Subie. Our DD would then become the Bolt and the Subie would be the long range, haul things, already a bit dented car. We drive the Subie 5 miles for every one I do in the Miata. So it would be an upgrade in terms of the fun-to-drive DD experience. Our 80th percentile trip length is around 25 mi, and 98th percentile maybe 150. We'd use the shit out of it.
Do. It!

I'm more or less in the same boat (Golf Wagon instead of Subie). And I'm going to put a deposit on a 2023 as soon as orders open up. I'm torn between the EUV and the regular bolt though. EUV has optional SuperCruise and some other things which my wife wants.
@heelntoe

NomisR

Quote from: heelntoe on June 04, 2022, 12:20:20 PM
Yep, this is what I've heard as well. I guess I have to test drive a new model to see for myself how the new seats are.

The Engineering Explained guy seems to actually like the Hummer EV though, I can kinda see why. 

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on June 05, 2022, 07:24:55 PM

WtP buy Tesla, not EVs.

It's a great car but not for the 30-40k price range without the tax rebates.  It's going to have trouble attracting buyers when they're spending 30-40k, which is the price of an entry level luxury (before the plandemic), when it looks like an econobox.  The Bolt EUV looks and priced more like the cars within it's price range which may be more attractive to buyers. 

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on June 05, 2022, 10:44:23 PM

How about Bolt as a DD, and Miata as a long trip/weekend car?  Perfect!

Morris Minor

Rich

Electric Miata and Outback
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

I've grumped about it elsewhere, but psychopathic runaway truck growth and traffic have wrecked my Miata experience.

Rich

iRacing and Bolt
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

I might get a new DD and keep the Miata for good weather and autox. But then I have 2 garage queens

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on June 06, 2022, 12:45:22 PM
I've grumped about it elsewhere, but psychopathic runaway truck growth and traffic have wrecked my Miata experience.

Yeah. This is happening around the world.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 06, 2022, 01:18:34 PM
I might get a new DD and keep the Miata for good weather and autox. But then I have 2 garage queens

You should get a Mitsubishi Miage G4.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 06, 2022, 01:18:34 PM

One of your garage queens also has a truck bed which helps :lol:

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on June 06, 2022, 04:21:16 PM
One of your garage queens also has a truck bed which helps :lol:

True. So practical

r0tor

I wish trucks and.traffic.were the only thing that killed my driving enjoyment... All the roads I use to do top speed runs which use to be in the middle of giant cornfields are now in the middle of housing projects and warehouses.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on June 06, 2022, 05:45:54 PM
I wish trucks and.traffic.were the only thing that killed my driving enjoyment... All the roads I use to do top speed runs which use to be in the middle of giant cornfields are now in the middle of housing projects and warehouses.

Oh, that too, definitely. Suburban sprawl and the associated traffic has KO'd several of my favorite long windy roads with stoplights and slow traffic.

CaminoRacer

It's slowly killing the fun roads in KY too. Roads are expanding from 2 twisty lanes into 4-5 straight lanes. But it's a much slower pace of growth there than other areas of the country

Laconian

When Wimmer complains about making the downtown core worse for cars and better for pedestrians, I think the opposite: "good, keep the people inside the city". When cities suck for people, everybody shuffles out to the exurbs, and you can't have fun in your car anymore.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on June 06, 2022, 07:28:03 PM
When Wimmer complains about making the downtown core worse for cars and better for pedestrians, I think the opposite: "good, keep the people inside the city". When cities suck for people, everybody shuffles out to the exurbs, and you can't have fun in your car anymore.

Instead, we're turning our cities into dystopian hellscapes and I can't blame people for fleeing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 07, 2022, 05:26:14 AM
Instead, we're turning our cities into dystopian hellscapes and I can't blame people for fleeing.

But the same people that voted to turn their cities into hellscapes are just turning whereever they're fleeing to into the same hellscape that they came from..

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on June 06, 2022, 06:57:35 PM
Oh, that too, definitely. Suburban sprawl and the associated traffic has KO'd several of my favorite long windy roads with stoplights and slow traffic.
Solution, live near national/state parks/forests or BLM land that have great driving roads, those won't turn into suburbia anytime soon.

Laconian

That's called being part of the problem :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2022, 03:47:12 PM

Be there before everyone else so you can complain about everyone else invading "your nature" :lol:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on June 07, 2022, 03:47:12 PM

Yup.  Please stay out of the YouPee.  :thumbsup:

Laconian

The benefits of having Paccar headquartered in our county:

https://kingcounty.gov/elected/executive/constantine/news/release/2022/June/08-battery-heavy-duty-truck.aspx
"A cost-benefit analysis by the Solid Waste Division estimates that maintaining and operating a Kenworth T680E truck will cost less than maintaining and operating a diesel truck. In addition to cutting greenhouse gas emissions, it will reduce the amount of toxic diesel particulates that are emitted in South King County where communities are disproportionately impacted by air pollution. The quieter model will also reduce noise pollution."

Noise pollution reduction is going to be amazing. I hope these catch on. Not all gigantic trucks need to have long hauling capabilities.

r0tor

That would be a relatively amazing improvement of quality of life around here
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed