EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

CaminoRacer

Yeah converting garbage trucks, mail trucks, and school buses to electric would be awesome for noise pollution. Although then it's harder to hear the bus coming and go run for it :lol:
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

No free school lunch for kids unless they also get free cigarettes!

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on June 09, 2022, 06:26:02 PM
In what world does any of that make sense?

The world that elects these people
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Soup DeVille

Wouldn't the same logic apply to military and senior discounts?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2022, 07:18:51 PM

Shouldn't revoking Disney's self-government also mean they should do the same for the Villages? Nope; it doesn't have to make sense.

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2022, 07:18:51 PM

Possibly also banning but one get one free offers?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on June 09, 2022, 07:32:57 PM
Shouldn't revoking Disney's self-government also mean they should do the same for the Villages? Nope; it doesn't have to make sense.

The Villages- you mean the retirement community with the raging STD issue? They're self-governing? 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 09, 2022, 07:46:24 PM
The Villages- you mean the retirement community with the raging STD issue? They're self-governing? 

Yeah, the same kind of arrangement.

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on June 09, 2022, 05:06:43 PM
I can't even begin to understand these people...

https://www.teslarati.com/anti-tesla-ev-free-gas-diesel-bill-carolina-proposed/

The point is, unarguably so, that government has no business choosing favorites, and not only because EVs are about going the way of ethanol.

FoMoJo

When you run out of juice in the middle of nowhere...Can Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Five Other EVs At Once? Watch And Learn

In the end, the Lightning proves its prowess by charging the other vehicles with no issue whatsoever. Kyle says the truck doesn't break or overheat, and as you'll see, there's still plenty of range to spare.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

r0tor

Sony + Honda... This could be interesting.  Established high quality automaker plus highly established consumer electronics company

https://www.motor1.com/news/592461/sony-honda-mobility-company-announced/

MrH

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 14, 2022, 02:56:24 PM
When you run out of juice in the middle of nowhere...Can Ford F-150 Lightning Charge Five Other EVs At Once? Watch And Learn

In the end, the Lightning proves its prowess by charging the other vehicles with no issue whatsoever. Kyle says the truck doesn't break or overheat, and as you'll see, there's still plenty of range to spare.

I really appreciate the guy that runs that youtube channel (Out of Spec Reviews).  He is SUPER enthusiastic about EVs, but he does the most in depth videos you can imagine.  He's actually pretty well informed about driving dynamics, especially EV related, so he goes into huge depth about something most reviewers never even touch (the tech differences between models on the market, one-pedal driving, the EV equivalent of "backlash" in the drivetrain", etc).

Lots of his videos are too much or too long, but if I'm particularly interested in something, he's about the only one who answers all my questions about it.

He tries his best to be as scientific as possible.  He does a highway range test with EVs, 100%-0%, often times running out as he's pulling into the station.  He recently did the F150 Lightning platinum, and I forgot how much range sucks once you get up to highway speeds.  It's quite a bit worse than the EPA rated range.  I think the platinum Lightning is 300 miles EPA. He got like 260 miles on the highway, and that's at 70 mph.  Realistically, if you want to go 70-80 mph, and not go from 100%-0%, it's going to be even worse.

I think that puts the short range Lightning not feasible for me.  You're probably looking at 160-200 miles of range, which is just too short for me.  I need 200 miles minimum highway at 75-80 mph.

Pretty much locks me in, that if I'm going to get one, it'll be an XLT big battery.  Can't get Blue Cruise, but apparently that isn't great anyways.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

Long range EV trucks make about zero sense.  The poor efficiency means you need gigantic batteries which means even less efficiency due to the weight and gigantic charging times.

Laconian

EV makes shitloads of sense for contractor fleets, which is where I hope the Lightning sees the most uptake.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on June 17, 2022, 03:45:18 PM
EV makes shitloads of sense for contractor fleets, which is where I hope the Lightning sees the most uptake.
Makes a lot of sense.  Ideal for recharging battery powered tools with the Backup Power package.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 17, 2022, 04:13:22 PM
Makes a lot of sense.  Ideal for recharging battery powered tools with the Backup Power package.

My 17 year old Tacoma has an outlet in the bed. It's as if people never realized they could plug shit into their vehicles before. lol

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2022, 10:42:02 AM
My 17 year old Tacoma has an outlet in the bed. It's as if people never realized they could plug shit into their vehicles before. lol

I expect the Lightning offers a few more electrifying options...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42BmZ6Rgqkc

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 18, 2022, 11:36:30 AM
I expect the Lightning offers a few more electrifying options...

You mean...an outlet in the bed...?  That's all I'm seeing.  This is not even close to a novel concept, that's all I'm saying.  :partyon:

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2022, 09:16:53 PM
You mean...an outlet in the bed...?  That's all I'm seeing.  This is not even close to a novel concept, that's all I'm saying.  :partyon:
It lights up the house under construction.

giant_mtb

Quote from: FoMoJo on June 19, 2022, 07:38:12 AM
It lights up the house under construction.

Via some work lights and an extension cord.......that's plugged into an outlet in the bed.

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 19, 2022, 08:56:35 AM
Via some work lights and an extension cord.......that's plugged into an outlet in the bed.
Yes, the method, more or less, is the same.  However, it's the capability, in this case, that is significant.  It's a matter of taking it to a new level.

If it managed to light up the house without wires, that would be new.

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 18, 2022, 09:16:53 PM

It is not the fact that it has outlet in the bed, it is the capability of said outlet(s) that is impressive. Your truck can power a laptop , the lightning can power a dryer if it has to.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Galaxy on June 19, 2022, 09:32:38 AM

It is not the fact that it has outlet in the bed, it is the capability of said outlet(s) that is impressive. Your truck can power a laptop , the lightning can power a dryer if it has to.

That's definitely what I need a truck for. To power a dryer at a jobsite. My truck's outlet is rated for 400W, which isn't a lot, but it's enough to run any hand tool, an air mattress pump, charge any batteries, or power a bunch of LED worklights...you know, practical things.

Again, I'm just saying this isn't a novel concept. Most newer trucks have inverters for 120V power. Fords can be had with a 2kW inverter (2.4kW/7.2kW available on hybrids)  And of course, giant EV batteries will have better capabilities, but short of running a welder, I don't find it particularly amazing or practical compared to what's already been available.

The only benefit is not having to run the engine to get top power from the inverter to avoid battery drain. But either way (EV or not), you're using up your "fuel" to produce that power.

Galaxy

Quote from: giant_mtb on June 19, 2022, 10:21:38 AM
That's definitely what I need a truck for. To power a dryer at a jobsite. My truck's outlet is rated for 400W, which isn't a lot, but it's enough to run any hand tool, an air mattress pump, charge any batteries, or power a bunch of LED worklights...you know, practical things.

Again, I'm just saying this isn't a novel concept. Most newer trucks have inverters for 120V power. Fords can be had with a 2kW inverter (2.4kW/7.2kW available on hybrids)  And of course, giant EV batteries will have better capabilities, but short of running a welder, I don't find it particularly amazing or practical compared to what's already been available.

The only benefit is not having to run the engine to get top power from the inverter to avoid battery drain. But either way (EV or not), you're using up your "fuel" to produce that power.

Now you are just intentionally being snarky.

I used a dryer, as an example because most people have at least somewhat of an idea of the power consumption. You want a more realistic scenario? Here you go: An arc welding machine. Or other high energy consumption tools.

Laconian

A high amperage 240V outlet? It's an incredibly useful feature. You don't need to lug a generator to the jobsite or pay United Rentals.

Rich

An engine doesn't need to be running either
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

The outlets and running your house with the truck battery seem more like marketing than real life needs for most buyers, IMO.

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on June 19, 2022, 02:01:26 PM
The outlets and running your house with the truck battery seem more like marketing than real life needs for most buyers, IMO.
But very useful at construction sites.