EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

r0tor

$45k after rebates for a base dual motor Model Y?  That sounds pretty tasty
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 13, 2023, 09:56:56 PM
Teslas are widely seen as a safe and uncontroversial purchase. Those issues are not common knowledge.

Most reviews on Amazon or Google or WHEREVER, there are a few people who say they like the thing, and MANY MANY reviews of the issues. Tiny niggles, small annoyances, whatever.

Tesla fanbois NEVER EVER write those reviews. They rave and glow about everything good about the car, which is a lot of the same things lots of other cars have, too, whether ICE or electric. The cult doesn't tolerate any negativity, so the public thinks they're God's gift to driving......
Will

r0tor

Seems like it's the vast majority of actual owners that like their tesla, not just the fanbois

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2022/02/tesla-tops-consumer-reports-2022-owner-satisfaction-ratings/
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on January 14, 2023, 11:52:18 AM
Seems like it's the vast majority of actual owners that like their tesla, not just the fanbois

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2022/02/tesla-tops-consumer-reports-2022-owner-satisfaction-ratings/

And second to last in reliability by surveys collected by the same publication that same year.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

I mean, when you paid too much for something that's not as good as the money paid, and know it deep down, you don't go telling people you made a mistake or paid too much.....
Will

Morris Minor

one of my favorite YouTubers. Note his comment about efficiency - a mostly-overlooked and absolutely key measure IMO.
https://youtu.be/rCywUzKJs30
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on January 14, 2023, 11:57:27 AM
And second to last in reliability by surveys collected by the same publication that same year.

Maybe that says more about CR "reliability" ratings than Tesla.

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on January 14, 2023, 07:10:14 PM
Maybe that says more about CR "reliability" ratings than Tesla.

Wow. This is peak level of not being able to hop off of Elon's dick.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 14, 2023, 04:31:49 PM
I mean, when you paid too much for something that's not as good as the money paid, and know it deep down, you don't go telling people you made a mistake or paid too much.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Quote from: Laconian on January 13, 2023, 09:56:56 PM
Teslas are widely seen as a safe and uncontroversial purchase. Those issues are not common knowledge.

For those that want to be in the Cool (Rich) Kids club, sure, but as I said the average Tesla buyer shows how shocking immune they are to quality problems that would get an entire factory shut down and retooled at a traditional automaker.

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 14, 2023, 07:24:49 PM

Alfa are also on the top on CR's consumer satisfaction list and the absolute bottom of their "reliability" survey.

They also give high "reliability" to f'in Subarus that are built like shit and blow head gaskets for the last 25 years.

So no, nothing about Elon's dick

Morris Minor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 14, 2023, 07:24:49 PM
More correctly & respectfully that'd be "... hop off of Mr Musk's amply-girthed dick."

AutobahnSHO

Oh, silly Wyoming.
New senate bill calls for banning new EV sales int eh state by 2035. Not entirely serious, but Wyoming lacks infrastructure and produces a ton of oil (lots of coal and wind too).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/wyoming-wants-to-phase-out-sales-of-new-e-vs-by-2035-200704042.html
Will

Laconian

What about freedom?

Morris Minor

Jason Fenske's photo of the charging cables of a Tesla & a MINI. Both 32A @ 240V.
Someone guessed the MINI's is aluminum.
https://twitter.com/jasonfenske13/status/1616224257280987137

Laconian

Someone also guessed that Tesla might be cutting the buffer a bit close. That also seems plausible :lol:

GoCougs

I'd be surprised if it was AL wire. AL wire is susceptible to corrosion and expands/retracts hugely with heat, causing problems with connection integrity (AL house wire has since been largely verboten as a result).

Could be strand count difference, or additional cables within (i.e., comm cable) or quality or purpose of the insulation (indoor vs. outdoor?).

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on January 20, 2023, 07:03:50 PM
Someone also guessed that Tesla might be cutting the buffer a bit close. That also seems plausible :lol:
My vacuum cleaners' cords get hot, as do the prongs on their plugs. Cheapskate bastards.

giant_mtb

Hummer EV bricks itself.  On multiple occasions.

https://youtu.be/VfaZQMs3H60

AutobahnSHO

I didn't realize Aluminum was EVER used as a power cable until a few months back.

The 12v battery cable in the Maverick hybrid is aluminum- and plenty of people have had issues of the connector wasn't fashioned just right. Bunches have had issues with truck not starting.

You can't just slap an old fashioned battery post on there, either.
Will

Morris Minor

Why the backtrack on Ultium?

GM Switching To Cylindrical Battery Cells
GM and LGES have broken off talks about building a fourth US battery factory together after GM decided to switch to 4680 cells in the future.
https://cleantechnica.com/2023/01/28/gm-switching-to-cylindrical-battery-cells/

MrH

I test drove a used 2022 Bolt EUV.  It was used with 13k miles, no super cruise, kind of smelled like cigarettes :lol:

A few things:

- It's much smaller than I imagined.  Packaged really well though.  Quite a bit of usable space inside for how tiny the exterior is.
- Far more dorky looking than I could have imagined

- Driving dynamics were...good?  Rode better than expectations and quiet.  It does remind me on Mario Kart, when you select the heavy car with the tiny wheels and crappy tires :lol:  It could use better tires for sure, even at the expense of range.
- Snappy acceleration, but top speed isn't very high.  The Outback is definitely "faster", but the difference in throttle response makes the Bolt easier to pick your spots in traffic and go.
- Infotainment was incredible.  So responsive.  Wireless carplay was smoother, faster, and more stable than the wired connection has ever been in the Outback.

I threw our W2's into turbotax this weekend.  Looks like we will qualify for EV credit if we can snag one in Q1.  Math seems to work out with the Outback if I can get one and get a decent trade in value.  Payback would be well under 2 years with my commute.  We bought the Outback originally when the woman had an old Focus, but now that we have the RDX, we take that everywhere together and on road trips.

90% of my commute is super cruise eligible.  Seems like a trade worth doing :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

I think the Bolt can compete with super cars in a 0 to speed limiter competition. I can hit the 92 mph limiter at the end of a decent freeway on ramp :lol:
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

MrH

:rage:

Never mind.  Zero chance I can get one this quarter.  Chevy's website shows plenty in inventory and in transmit.  Every single dealer that responded said it was sold already.  Some even have pictures on their website of the vehicles covered in snow.  Still sold :wtf:

I guess they don't remove them from inventory until it's picked up...which defeats the entire purpose of having the inventory listed online.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Eh, more and more people are backing out of reservations these days. Compared to 6 mos ago, the cost of financing went way up, the price of gas came back down, plus the Tesla discount - I'm sure this caused a lot of people to have second thoughts. Get on some waiting lists and cast your net wide. Maybe try dealerships in less economically vigorous areas?

Regarding the small size and dorky looks, both of those are solved handily by the EUV. The EUV is spacious and generically handsome, but it drives just as nicely and the range penalty is just a few miles.

In general I thought the Bolt had a lot of Mini-like character to it. It left me with a big grin on my face and I've heartily endorsed it to everyone who doesn't expect to DCFC. Several members of my extended family have flipped from multi-decade Toyota loyalists to Bolt-heads!

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on January 31, 2023, 11:52:32 AM
The EUV is generically handsome

:wtf:

You can't honestly believe that
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Laconian

The EUV? Sure. Not the EV.

SJ_GTI

I haven't seen the EUV in person. Sometimes cars that look good in pictures can have weird proportions in person (and vice versa).

r0tor

Quote from: giant_mtb on January 21, 2023, 10:03:04 AM
Hummer EV bricks itself.  On multiple occasions.

https://youtu.be/VfaZQMs3H60

Everything they own breaks... and then they get lots of clicks

CaminoRacer

The EUV just needs a wiring dongle to fix the brake lights.
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance