EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 29, 2023, 04:53:11 PM
I think all of the mainstream EVs are using 1 motor per axle not hub/wheel motors.

Rivians are 4 motors.  They're coming out with a dual motor soon though.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: Laconian on March 29, 2023, 07:42:44 PM

And it's not just the power, it's also the total lack of transmission latency.

This is really the difference.  The Outback was probably faster than the Bolt in terms of pure acceleration if you buried the pedal and stayed in it the whole time.  But the responsiveness of the Bolt makes it much ore usable in day to day driving.

EVs are like the anti-CVT driving experience :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 30, 2023, 06:16:17 AM
A friend I have who works in GM says there was one version of the EV that while in development could do full throttle launches in crab walk mode.

That sounds like a bad recipe.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 30, 2023, 07:39:14 AM

They were so focused on finding out if they could, they never stopped to consider if they should...

FoMoJo

The five fastest electric cars to lap the Nurburgring - and only one of them's a Tesl

5. Mercedes SLS AMG Coupe Electric Drive - 7m 56secs

4. Tesla Model S Plaid - 7m 35sec

3. Porsche Taycan Turbo S - 7m 33sec

2. Nio EP9 - 6m 45s

1. Volkswagen ID.R - 6m 05s

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 30, 2023, 07:39:14 AM

Its an insane vehicle, and a really bad execution at the same time. The off road beast of EVs keeps shutting itself off when of road.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VfaZQMs3H60
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on March 30, 2023, 07:26:26 AM
Rivians are 4 motors.  They're coming out with a dual motor soon though.

Ah okay, I thought they did but then I only found the dual motor info when I looked it up.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Morris Minor

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 30, 2023, 08:46:44 AM
3. Porsche Taycan Turbo S - 7m 33sec
Just having a quiet chuckle at "Turbo."

If I buy an EV I want it to have "V8 32-valve GDI" badging.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

"supercharger TDI turbo"
Will

Morris Minor

There's a small "Turbo" badge on the back of my CX-5. They removed it in the next model year.
Fortunately it's discreet, but it's still naff.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 30, 2023, 09:11:39 AM
Its an insane vehicle, and a really bad execution at the same time. The off road beast of EVs keeps shutting itself off when of road.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VfaZQMs3H60

I somewhat enjoy their content, but keep in mind literally every car they get breaks and they make a video that earns them $$$$.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

I guess I'm an EV owner now... Just bought a cordless pool cleaning robot  :lol:

Quad motor, self driving, and extended range battery
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

veeman

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43473797/2023-ford-f-150-lightning-another-price-increase/

Starting price of Ford Lightning went from $41769 to $61869.  In one year.  I strongly smell govt bailout within 5 years...

Laconian

I think it's clear Tesla can't deliver the 40k Cybertruck. No need to subsidize to stay on the hype train.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 01, 2023, 10:43:53 AM
I somewhat enjoy their content, but keep in mind literally every car they get breaks and they make a video that earns them $$$$.

So, they're very skilled hackers that can make their EVs go into limp mode whenever they need to make a video?

Morris Minor

Quote from: veeman on April 01, 2023, 12:33:23 PM
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a43473797/2023-ford-f-150-lightning-another-price-increase/

Starting price of Ford Lightning went from $41769 to $61869.  In one year.  I strongly smell govt bailout within 5 years...
Oh absolutely 100% agree on the bailout. I'm guessing this is an unstated reason behind Farley's decision to split out Ford's financials between the EV & the legacy operations. Ford wants to prepare the ground for the reality check it's going to deliver to politicians.... air the laundry on how much its EV operation is losing well in advance of going to Washington to get a taxpayer bailout.
As to upping the price on the F150 Lightning.  It's a better option for Ford to do this than to give its profits to the Cunty McTwatface Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealership.

CaminoRacer

The $40k Lightning was never a real option for most buyers anyway. Made for advertising only.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 01, 2023, 07:30:38 PM
Oh absolutely 100% agree on the bailout. I'm guessing this is an unstated reason behind Farley's decision to split out Ford's financials between the EV & the legacy operations. Ford wants to prepare the ground for the reality check it's going to deliver to politicians.... air the laundry on how much its EV operation is losing well in advance of going to Washington to get a taxpayer bailout.
As to upping the price on the F150 Lightning.  It's a better option for Ford to do this than to give its profits to the Cunty McTwatface Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealership.

+120 (years of business)
Will

Morris Minor

I live in a forested area, tortuous narrow roads with steep gradients. Today I *thought* I saw some movement in the trees to one side out of the corner of my eye. Could not tell what it was, or really if I'd seen anything at all. Anyway I slowed down.
And then I had to stop for a dog that had run out right in front of me.
My immediate thought was that there's no effing way an autonomous system could have done that: caught an ephemeral tiny fraction of incomplete information that disturbed the blur of trees and  forest understory.
Sure an autonomous system can react quicker than me to surprises. But it's better not to be surprised in the first place.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 03, 2023, 10:48:57 AM
I live in a forested area, tortuous narrow roads with steep gradients. Today I *thought* I saw some movement in the trees to one side out of the corner of my eye. Could not tell what it was, or really if I'd seen anything at all. Anyway I slowed down.
My immediate thought was that there's no effing way an autonomous system could have done that: caught an ephemeral tiny fraction of incomplete information that disturbed the blur of trees and  forest understory.
Sure an autonomous system can react quicker than me to surprises. But it's better not to be surprised in the first place.

Same with sensing that someone is going to change lanes in a few seconds.

AutobahnSHO

Yeah, the "auto braking" stuff in the new cars is just for dummies that aren't paying attention and smash into the back of a parked or slower car.

Literally last week on I-20 westbound at the SC/GA border, speed limit is 55mph (construction) but traffic usually flows 60-65mph but it was 10mph until we got to the spot where someone had destroyed the trunk of the car in front of them in the left lane. (Construction guy was hilarious- waving everyone around as if they were going to try to drive in the blocked left lane....)
Will

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on April 03, 2023, 10:50:53 AM
Same with sensing that someone is going to change lanes in a few seconds.

Yeah, your spidey senses can get a-tingling by seeing cars leapfrogging around lanes recklessly in the rear view mirror. Autonomous cars won't tune in to any of that action until the car is an immediate threat.

r0tor

Quote from: Morris Minor on April 03, 2023, 10:48:57 AM

True, but 95% of humans then don't hit the brakes hard enough to use the full potential of the brakes. 

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on April 03, 2023, 11:50:08 PM
Yeah, your spidey senses can get a-tingling by seeing cars leapfrogging around lanes recklessly in the rear view mirror. Autonomous cars won't tune in to any of that action until the car is an immediate threat.
Spidey sense is a great way of putting it.  That's a great Turing Test for AI & autonomy.
(The other one I heard is that systems must quietly smile to themselves when there's no one else around.)

AutobahnSHO

I wonder how long before "electric tuning" becomes a thing?

-bigger/more motors
-bigger/more batteries
-battery/ motor cooling upgrades
Will

r0tor

There is already some tuning on BMW PHEVs - allows to use more of the battery capacity and some other stuff

Laconian

Morris Minor

^ Added to watchlist.
(Seeing more EVs here - it what has to be one of the most EV-resistant parts of the country, majority Teslas but a growing sprinkling of these - they look great)

Morris Minor

Okay I watched, well, listened actually, to his video on the Ioniq 5. No dealbreakers - he loves the car. What also impresses me is his ability to speak to camera fluently for 70 minutes from a few prompt notes. There is so much talent out there.