EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 19, 2019, 09:22:47 AM
You'd probably have more luck in a different state than California. Lots of charging stations there. Wyoming, on the other hand...

Sheep don't run on electricity.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2019, 08:10:58 AM
A lot of sim racing games have great fake engine noise.

True. But I think it's different when you're driving an actual real-world [EV] vehicle.

It's all a question of getting used to and adapting, but I don't think there's no shame in admitting that as a car enthusiast you're gonna miss the sound that an internal combustion engine makes.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 19, 2019, 08:24:00 AM
BMW and some others have been using various trickery to pipe in engine noise for some time, from goofy resonators attached to the firewall to others. Engine noise really isn't as "real" as we like to think on modern cars. Its very carefully contrived.

My understanding is that the actual engine sound is "enhanced" by these fake engine sounds which are pumped into the interior. The driver still hears the actual engine, but with some "enhancements" played over it.

But this is still somewhat convincing. On an EV, which are quiet, it would come across as fake and tacky.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 20, 2019, 04:49:20 AM
True. But I think it's different when you're driving an actual real-world [EV] vehicle.

It's all a question of getting used to and adapting, but I don't think there's no shame in admitting that as a car enthusiast you're gonna miss the sound that an internal combustion engine makes.
Eh I dunno. I mean I do love engine sounds. But for a commuter, I'd prefer silence if I could have it. And at track days here they make you keep your window open, so you can't hear shit anyway. I think you are just looking for reasons to resist anything green-adjacent.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

I put a few miles on a Focus Electric yesterday. They do make some noises, as the regenerative braking system gear components whine/whirr a bit in use. No transmission shifts, a gauge that shows miles left that changes with A/C usage.
Decent acceleration, but at a high battery drain rate. Easing into stops returns the most energy.
It's still just a glorified golf cart.  ;)

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 19, 2019, 08:26:49 AM
Yeah, most modern cars are very quiet without piped in noise or a sport exhaust option. I don't think EVs are really that much different. Luxury cars used to take pride in being dead silent inside, anyway.

My Bolt makes decent electric whirring noises if the radio isn't loud.

You can also make it completely silent by pulling fuse 34.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: NomisR on September 20, 2019, 08:55:01 AM
You can also make it completely silent by pulling fuse 34.

LOL is it fake? I'm okay with that though if it makes it audible to pedestrians in a parking lot.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 20, 2019, 05:33:48 AM
Eh I dunno. I mean I do love engine sounds. But for a commuter, I'd prefer silence if I could have it. And at track days here they make you keep your window open, so you can't hear shit anyway. I think you are just looking for reasons to resist anything green-adjacent.

Yeah for a commuter I'd prefer a quiet car. I'm just listening to podcasts or music anyway. Even in the El Camino which has a better engine note than most people's cars. The majority of cars have terrible engine notes so it's not a loss at all.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 20, 2019, 11:44:30 AM
The majority of cars have terrible engine notes so it's not a loss at all.
Exactly

afty

Personally I think it's neat how quiet an EV is even when driving hard.  You can drive aggressively without drawing attention to yourself.  Taking off hard from a stop makes you feel like you're in a spaceship, with just a slight whirring sound.

Laconian

Quote from: afty on September 20, 2019, 01:47:59 PM
Personally I think it's neat how quiet an EV is even when driving hard.  You can drive aggressively without drawing attention to yourself.  Taking off hard from a stop makes you feel like you're in a spaceship, with just a slight whirring sound.

Many ICE cars today are already "symposed" because turbo engines sound dreary. I want a pluggable symposer on an EV, dammit. I bet a warp core thrum which increases in frequency would be so sweet in a Tesla. OK, it would be cool for 5 minutes. ;)
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Xer0

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 20, 2019, 11:54:38 AM
Exactly

I for one am looking forward to never having to hear a tiny Honda screaming through a fart can as it desperately accelerates to 60mph in 10 seconds.

Laconian

Quote from: Xer0 on September 20, 2019, 02:15:03 PM
I for one am looking forward to never having to hear a tiny Honda screaming through a fart can as it desperately accelerates to 60mph in 10 seconds.

It's Subaru WRXes at 1AM, and semis and Harleys at 8AM.

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on September 20, 2019, 02:15:59 PM
It's Subaru WRXes at 1AM, and semis and Harleys at 8AM.

Oh god, I forgot about the Harleys.  I will not miss hearing those obnoxious things.

NomisR

Electric Harleys...

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 20, 2019, 05:33:48 AM

EVs are quiet, but so are modern ICE cars. For example my new A250 is pretty much silent while cruising. I'm not bothered by the engine sound when I give it gas. I just need to hear my engine as it works. But I know I can get used to driving an EV and dealing with road noise and a lack of engine sound; it will just take some time. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CaminoRacer

There's no more road noise than a similar gas car

Morris Minor

I'm happy to have a quiet car, much less fatiguing. Eliminating engine noise is good, but wind & tire noise seem to be the bulk of the problem.

Quiet cabins come at a premium.https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/the-quietest-cars
EV drive trains should bring down the price point of peace & tranquility.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 20, 2019, 03:10:25 PM
I'd much rather have this. For less than half the price.

https://www.altamotors.co/redshift-sm#redshift-sm1

I saw an electric sportbike a couple weeks ago! It sounded like a banshee with its one gear. reeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on September 21, 2019, 12:31:18 PM
I'm happy to have a quiet car, much less fatiguing. Eliminating engine noise is good, but wind & tire noise seem to be the bulk of the problem.

Quiet cabins come at a premium.https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/the-quietest-cars
EV drive trains should bring down the price point of peace & tranquility.

Yep, once you're up to speed, wind and tire noise are far larger factors than your engine chuggin along at 1800rpm on the highway.

Laconian

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 21, 2019, 12:43:56 PM
Yep, once you're up to speed, wind and tire noise are far larger factors than your engine chuggin along at 1800rpm on the highway.

I live on a hill, so I hear engines working hard all day long. :cry:

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on September 21, 2019, 12:46:05 PM
I live on a hill, so I hear engines working hard all day long. :cry:

That sucks. :lol:

CaminoRacer

I love roasting people from a stop without making any noise

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 21, 2019, 01:27:24 PM
I love roasting people from a stop without making any noise

:ohyeah:
Will

Morris Minor

Renault Zoe:
https://youtu.be/XaA_qwP9dKM
I don't see why this wouldn't be a decent commuter car in the US... provided the A/C is bulletproof. I like the idea of giving used battery packs a second life.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

US commutes involve highways. This little dodgeball won't stand a chance :(

Xer0

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 21, 2019, 12:43:56 PM

Unless you drive a manual Honda which is geared for 4K RPM at like 70mph :lol:

Secretly, I think Honda just got so tired of tire noise complaints so they geared their engines to drown it out.

2o6

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 03, 2019, 09:15:34 AM
Renault Zoe:
https://youtu.be/XaA_qwP9dKM
I don't see why this wouldn't be a decent commuter car in the US... provided the A/C is bulletproof. I like the idea of giving used battery packs a second life.

Because the updated Nissan Leaf is basically the same car, but longer.

It, and the Renault ZOE have those shitty air-cooled batteries that have real issues with fast charging and range in hot climates.