EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

shp4man

High purchase cost, limited range and long refueling time. This is the current cold, hard reality of EV's. Plus, power generation. Nukes?

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on September 28, 2020, 06:03:07 PM
At least the electric evolution of car enthusiasm will be more interesting.

In addition to the performance fireworks going on with the expensive EVs, I'm actually extremely interested in how EV drivetrains will be applied to the low end of the market. So many golden opportunities for cleverness with EV drivetrains.
The halo effect of the expensive EVs has been to fire people's imaginations & curiosity. Certainly has with me. I'm sure there's much goodness to come in the reasonably-priced-car segment.
High demand now for all those engineers who've slaved away in obscurity on theory & practice of electric motors & traction & inverters & controls.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Payman

Great news for Ontario. Ford is investing 1.8 billion into its Oakville assembly plant for EV production, starting in 2024.

Rich

I would appreciate a small 2 seat EV convertible with about 100 miles of range and quick charging.  I think the silence of an EV would be fantastic with a convertible top.  I appreciate a fun engine note too, but I also would like hearing the birds, streams, and other sounds of nature on the backroads.  I'd get it a little bit when putting the Miata in neutral at around 40-50mph.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on September 29, 2020, 05:08:33 PM
I would appreciate a small 2 seat EV convertible with about 100 miles of range and quick charging.  I think the silence of an EV would be fantastic with a convertible top.  I appreciate a fun engine note too, but I also would like hearing the birds, streams, and other sounds of nature on the backroads.  I'd get it a little bit when putting the Miata in neutral at around 40-50mph.

EV dirtbikes and UTVs are gonna be so much nicer out in nature. I hate when you're in a scenic location and you hear the deafening roar of a RZR's unmuffled CVT BS.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: Rich on September 29, 2020, 05:08:33 PM

The wind and tire noise will still be there, though.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on September 29, 2020, 05:25:54 PM

Sound of other cars drowns that all out..... :mask:
Will

Morris Minor

Renault just launch the Zoe in the UK. The cheapest base model is £26,500 net of a £3K government grant. So £29,500. about $38,000.

Rich

Quote from: Laconian on September 29, 2020, 05:25:54 PM

At 45mph I barely notice them.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 29, 2020, 06:46:30 PM
Sound of other cars drowns that all out..... :mask:

Earplugs drown everything out. :lol: I used to wear low level earplugs when I drive >60mph topdown or with fast traffic. Now I just keep the top up. :mask:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on September 29, 2020, 08:14:46 PM
Earplugs drown everything out. :lol: I used to wear low level earplugs when I drive >60mph topdown or with fast traffic. Now I just keep the top up. :mask:

boooooo   :lol:

The first time I drove Scrappy on the interstate was taking it home (10+hrs) and I wore earbuds to talk with wife but just left them in. Blasted the radio and it was "just right" LOL.  Should probably keep doing that or get earplugs...

It's funny how often I throw the top down but then put on sunglasses, a hat, jacket, gloves, whatever just to go somewhere with the top down LOL
Will

CaminoRacer

I've worn earplugs on roadtrips in my El Camino and my dad's VW. It's kinda nice if you have a good stereo with a subwoofer, because you can turn it up more and get chest thumping bass without hurting your ears :lol:

MrH

If I don't want to assault my ears, I just drive the Outback :lol:  I don't really do any long distance commuting in the S2000 for that reason.  In traffic, it's tiring.  But if it's late at night, the S2000 with the top down and music going is the best.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: MrH on September 30, 2020, 08:10:33 AM
If I don't want to assault my ears, I just drive the Outback :lol:  I don't really do any long distance commuting in the S2000 for that reason.  In traffic, it's tiring.  But if it's late at night, the S2000 with the top down and music going is the best.
That's when we enjoyed our much-mourned CLK the most: top down, summer nights, gentle music.

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on September 29, 2020, 08:14:46 PM

I weep for you.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 30, 2020, 07:46:11 AM
I've worn earplugs on roadtrips in my El Camino and my dad's VW. It's kinda nice if you have a good stereo with a subwoofer, because you can turn it up more and get chest thumping bass without hurting your ears :lol:

:rockon: I'm still shocked how much bass comes out of the little tiny sub I have. It's under the passenger foot well right now. :lol:
Will

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on September 30, 2020, 09:17:10 AM
I weep for you.

I have tinnitus from something, I don't want to make it worse.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2020, 05:30:54 PM
I've had it for years.  Doesn't really get worse, just comes and goes.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: Laconian on September 30, 2020, 05:30:54 PM

My statement remains unchanged.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Modern cars and modern ICEs are so quiet. Even when I am driving on the Autobahn with my A250, at say 160 km/h, the only noises I hear are actually the wind and road noises. The engine? Can't hear it - unless I demand power and hammer it.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 02, 2020, 11:23:23 AM
Modern cars and modern ICEs are so quiet. Even when I am driving on the Autobahn with my A250, at say 160 km/h, the only noises I hear are actually the wind and road noises. The engine? Can't hear it - unless I demand power and hammer it.

A Harley Davidson rode by my house the literal moment I read that.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on October 02, 2020, 01:02:45 PM
A Harley Davidson rode by my house the literal moment I read that.

Glorious engine sound.  :wub:

Here in Merkel Germany, the crazy eco Greens and other weirdos want to ban motorcycle driving on weekends.  :facepalm:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

r0tor

No, Harleys sound like ass.... and the louder they are the worse they sound
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

Quote from: r0tor on October 03, 2020, 02:28:18 PM
No, Harleys sound like ass.... and the louder they are the worse they sound
If you ask nicely, Harley owners will also confer the gift of shitting in your food.

CaminoRacer

Harleys are best heard on tv, where you can control the volume and maybe autotune the sound to be more pleasant to the ear

Laconian

I wonder if Christian has witnessed the glory of a Harley with its muffler removed.  It probably wouldn't pass muster with the TUV, so I'm guessing not.

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 03, 2020, 05:38:01 PM
I wonder if Christian has witnessed the glory of a Harley with its muffler removed.  It probably wouldn't pass muster with the TUV, so I'm guessing not.

But don't forget the speakers that need to be louder than the ear exploding exhaust

...on the subject, I lost safety bonus money a few years at the power plant because harley owners repeatedly flunked their hearing tests - which turns into an OSHA recordable incident.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Laconian

Quote from: r0tor on October 03, 2020, 05:42:46 PM
But don't forget the speakers that need to be louder than the ear exploding exhaust

...on the subject, I lost safety bonus money a few years at the power plant because harley owners repeatedly flunked their hearing tests - which turns into an OSHA recordable incident.

:lol:

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on October 03, 2020, 05:47:10 PM
:lol:

I would bitch them out... But of course they couldn't hear so....

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on October 03, 2020, 05:38:01 PM

Actually the neighbor of my parents in Mühldorf am Inn has a Harley-Davidson bike. He's a teacher and uses it to get to work. However, when he leaves in the morning he pushes the Harley out of his garage and towards the end of the street before starting it. It's loud as hell, but hey, cool sound! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de