EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

afty

Taycan is already Porsche's 3rd best selling model in the U.S.: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/11/06/porsche-taycan-sales-recovery-us/

CaminoRacer

Most owners set the max charge to 80-90% anyway. Not too worrisome imo
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

afty

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 14, 2020, 05:50:10 PM
Uh oh!!
https://insideevs.com/news/454290/chevy-bolt-ev-recall-fire/amp/
The "fix" is just a software update that limits max charge to 90% on affected cars.  If GM were able to update the cars over the air, there wouldn't have been any need for a recall.  That would save GM a lot of money when stuff like this happens.

The flip side of that approach is bad press like https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-battery/tesla-owner-lawsuit-claims-software-update-fraudulently-cut-battery-capacity-idUSKCN1UY2TW.  I suspect Tesla quietly nerfed those batteries because of fire concerns, and people are up in arms about it since there was no explanation.

CaminoRacer

There's been some speculation that the pandemic has been bad for EV battery fires, since the cars are more likely to sit around fully charged for days/weeks.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 16, 2020, 10:31:36 AM
There's been some speculation that the pandemic has been bad for EV battery fires, since the cars are more likely to sit around fully charged for days/weeks.

Solution: mine bitcoin on the MMI
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 14, 2020, 05:50:10 PM
Uh oh!!
https://insideevs.com/news/454290/chevy-bolt-ev-recall-fire/amp/

From GM on the Chevy EV forums:

"Hello everyone,

We want to provide clarification to some of the questions above. A certain number of these vehicles were built with high voltage batteries produced at LG Chem's Ochang, Korea facility that may pose a risk of fire when charged to full, or very close to full, capacity. While our investigation into this condition continues, GM has developed software that will limit vehicle charging to 90% of full capacity to mitigate this risk.

Certain vehicles in the 2019 model year were built using battery cells produced at LG Chem's Ochang, Korea, facility, which is where we believe the issue developed. The verified incidents investigated thus far had batteries produced at this facility. Additionally, the 2020 Bolt EV uses a different cell design than the vehicles affected by this recall, which enabled us to increase range to 259 miles.

While it's possible to change the charging settings on your own, we still recommend visiting your servicing dealer to have the interim software update performed to have the max charge rate set to 90%. This will ensure that the setting stays at 90% until the final remedy is available in 2021. As part of this recall, GM will selectively replace an undetermined number of battery packs for further analysis. This action will help GM inspect the battery packs to help determine the root cause of the problem. That process is still being developed. Lastly, we are actively engaged with LG Chem and they are working with us on a remedy."

So far out of 77,000 Bolts, 5 have had fires. That compares favorably to ICE cars and especially many of our favorite sports cars.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Morris Minor

Quote from: ChrisV on November 17, 2020, 01:17:28 PM
[snip]
So far out of 77,000 Bolts, 5 have had fires. That compares favorably to ICE cars and especially many of our favorite sports cars.
[/snip]
I love that line. Perspective.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ChrisV on November 17, 2020, 01:17:28 PM

Yeah but I don't remember the last time a car was sitting in the garage after hours of non-use and spontaneously caught fire.
Will

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 18, 2020, 05:21:01 AM
Yeah but I don't remember the last time a car was sitting in the garage after hours of non-use and spontaneously caught fire.

Then you forgot the recalls of Ford pickups and Tauruses that had the cruise control malfunction and spontaneously burn down while parked. It was a big deal a few years back.

QuoteSince 1999, the Ford Motor Company has recalled over 14 million Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars, SUVs and pickup trucks due to faulty cruise control switches, which can corrode overtime and catch fire. These switches have been linked to at least 550 vehicle fires nationwide, and the destruction of many homes and other properties.

The number of Ford fires reported to NHTSA is believed to be far less than the number that have occurred. The national law firm of Lieff Cabraser Heimann & Bernstein, the sponsor of this website, has received over 325 complaints of fires in Ford vehicles linked to the speed control deactivation system.

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/injury/car-accidents/ford-cruise-control/
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

Not a slam against EVs...100-mph Tesla Model 3 crash sends hundreds of scorching battery cells flying, starting a housefire and taking 3 hours to clean up...but maybe an indication that battery containment might need improving.

A Tesla Model 3 crashed on Tuesday in Corvallis, Oregon, flinging hot battery cells far from the crash site.

Two of the cells broke through nearby windows — one landed in someone's lap, while the other landed on a bed, catching the bedding on fire.

On the other hand...

According to the City of Corvallis Police Department, the driver was speeding in excess of 100 mph and sustained only minor injuries.

...saftety features must be quite good.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

afty

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 19, 2020, 01:23:28 PM
Not a slam against EVs...100-mph Tesla Model 3 crash sends hundreds of scorching battery cells flying, starting a housefire and taking 3 hours to clean up...but maybe an indication that battery containment might need improving.

On the other hand...

...saftety features must be quite good.
The dude actually fled the scene on foot!  EVs are easier to make safe since they don't have a big lump of metal in the front that will encroach on the cabin in an accident like this.

CaminoRacer

Given that a tire was also ripped off and sent flying, I don't think it's necessarily the fault of the engineering that battery bits also went flying. Driver is a reckless jackass.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 19, 2020, 02:26:54 PM
Given that a tire was also ripped off and sent flying, I don't think it's necessarily the fault of the engineering that battery bits also went flying. Driver is a reckless jackass.

Society is already well acclimated to catastrophic internal combustion failure modes - hot engine blocks flying into passenger laps, gasoline spraying everywhere, thick blue plumes of smoke in the exhaust..

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 19, 2020, 02:26:54 PM
I am a proponent of EVs and I think they are currently the best approach to resolving a number of health and safety issues.  Still, it's best to not have batteries landing in peoples' laps or their beds if that can be avoided.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

Quote from: FoMoJo on November 19, 2020, 03:09:07 PM
I am a proponent of EVs and I think they are currently the best approach to resolving a number of health and safety issues.  Still, it's best to not have batteries landing in peoples' laps or their beds if that can be avoided.

Regardless of how the car's powered, everything ablating off a car at 100mph already possesses fatal amounts of kinetic energy...

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on November 19, 2020, 03:21:38 PM
Regardless of how the car's powered, everything ablating off a car at 100mph already possesses fatal amounts of kinetic energy...

Yeah, the flying tire is just as scary.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ChrisV on November 19, 2020, 11:17:04 AM
Then you forgot the recalls of Ford pickups and Tauruses that had the cruise control malfunction and spontaneously burn down while parked. It was a big deal a few years back.

https://www.lieffcabraser.com/injury/car-accidents/ford-cruise-control/

Wow I did indeed.
Will

CaminoRacer

Morris is resurrecting its iconic commercial truck, full EV

https://www.morris-commercial.com/

FoMoJo

Looks good, not as homely as the original. 

Made in China?

CaminoRacer

Says production will be based in the UK. I think they are now owned or financially backed by a Chinese company, though

AutobahnSHO

Looks cool, wonder how the crash rating will work?
Will

Laconian

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on November 26, 2020, 12:57:03 PM
Urban ZEVs tend to be more lax on that front, since they have lower speed limits.

Also, EVs are now outselling diesels on the Continent. https://www.jato.com/in-september-2020-for-the-first-time-in-european-history-registrations-for-electrified-vehicles-overtook-diesel/?TrucksFoT&utm_source=Benedict%27s+Newsletter&utm_campaign=4ae5655276-Benedict%27s+newsletter+free&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4999ca107f-4ae5655276-70706881
One of the guys here (made his money selling cool & groovy residential routers) is replacing his rooftop PV system - the new ones are vastly more efficient - and then putting in a powerwall storage system. He'll use it for normal residential load, cutting A/C bills etc, plus topping up his EVs.

By the mid-2030s we'll all be in EVs. If my ticker allows me to make it that far, I'll be nearly 80 & too old to care.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 28, 2020, 05:25:46 AM

By the mid-2030s we'll all be in EVs. If my ticker allows me to make it that far, I'll be nearly 80 & too old to care.

I don't think so (not referring to you living to age 80 and beyond :lol:).  I just don't think EVs will be ubiquitous in the next 15 years. I don't see them being practical for people who live in apartments or for long distance vacation driving.   There are also 100 times as many gas stations as there are public EV super chargers.  It'll happen but I think more by the time you are 100 years old. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 28, 2020, 05:25:46 AM
One of the guys here (made his money selling cool & groovy residential routers) is replacing his rooftop PV system - the new ones are vastly more efficient - and then putting in a powerwall storage system. He'll use it for normal residential load, cutting A/C bills etc, plus topping up his EVs.

There may be other options by then.  Hydrogen fuel cell vehicle are making a quiet entry into the market.  Granted, an EV of sorts, but not limited to hours of recharge time.  Another few years and, no doubt, there will be advancements in hydrogen fuel production. 

CaminoRacer

EV chargers and GFCI outlets don't mix well, the chargers tend to trip the outlets for no reason. (the chargers have built in GFCI functions anyway)

Would it be a dumb idea for me to temporarily replace my garage's gfci outlet with a regular one?

afty

Quote from: CaminoRacer on November 29, 2020, 06:10:03 PM
EV chargers and GFCI outlets don't mix well, the chargers tend to trip the outlets for no reason. (the chargers have built in GFCI functions anyway)

Would it be a dumb idea for me to temporarily replace my garage's gfci outlet with a regular one?
I think that would violate code. I charge from a GFCI outlet. Initially I did have trouble with the outlet tripping while charging. I replaced the outlet and haven't had any problems since.

CaminoRacer

I suppose I could try another GFCI first. The current one is brand-new, since it's a new house. It passes all the normal tests. But I guess it's safer to try another one first.