EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 21, 2019, 10:35:57 PM
Didn't you see Alex's maintenance schedule? Why would an EV ever go to a shop at all?
Haha  yes.
We've had a century of businesses developing to support the care & feeding of the zillions of moving parts in ICE vehicles. That's going to change.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

shp4man

Unless rats eat the wiring. Or the electronics develop problems.  ;)

Laconian

Joe can see this in his parking lot now :lol:

What a funky trunk. Can't decide if I like it.

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 22, 2019, 11:29:57 AM
Haha  yes.
We've had a century of businesses developing to support the care & feeding of the zillions of moving parts in ICE vehicles. That's going to change.

Shippy's going to retire at just the right time.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on August 22, 2019, 01:46:18 PM

Seems like it would eat into the cargo area WAY too much.

ChrisV

Quote from: shp4man on August 22, 2019, 12:23:13 PM
Unless rats eat the wiring. Or the electronics develop problems.  ;)

yeah, 'cause ICE cars have no electronics or wiring. Are you this dumb in real life or just on the internet?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

FoMoJo

Not as bad as that goofy thing parked beside it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: ChrisV on August 22, 2019, 02:37:50 PM
yeah, 'cause ICE cars have no electronics or wiring. Are you this dumb in real life or just on the internet?
What is your problem man?
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

shp4man

When and if EV's take over, we'll have a workable and marketable system to keep them ahead of gas cars. That's the future- but it's not now. My kids will see it. I won't.

Morris Minor

Once charged, does the parking space have a "Hey, you're none now" indicator? Just thinking it would be good to publicly nudge people along to make space for the next guy.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 23, 2019, 03:48:01 AM

Once charged, does the parking space have a "Hey, you're none now" indicator? Just thinking it would be good to publicly nudge people along to make space for the next guy.
I want you to rent and street park a car in NYC, just for 2 week days :lol:

I think this need for common courtesy is part of why such a system may run into problems.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

It won't be long before the cars plug themselves in and queue up for the chargers by themselves.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

That's usually not a big problem though, if I ever charge at anywhere else other than work or home, rarely do i ever get to charge to full before I leave since I'm never really there for over 2 hours.  The only times I've ever gotten a full charge was when I was in Disneyland but nobody was expected to move when you're at Disneyland.

GoCougs

Must be a visitor.

I was checking it out. It's much larger than I thought it would be. Interior looks nice. Overall I like it.

GoCougs

It does, but on these chargers, it's super small, on the LCD screen on the charger.

But good insight - there are four spots, and there is some drama with it.

GoCougs

Quote from: ChrisV on August 21, 2019, 08:23:50 AM
Know how I know you've never driven modern EV? Quit being a closed minded old fool.

People get to have their opinions.

To me EVs are interesting since I work with industrial servos/robotics/control systems, and from a performance POV the throttle response is incredible, but overall I find them sorta boring overall.

Plus, EVs are still much too expensive (vast majority of people can't legit afford them), no automaker can turn a profit producing them, and there is no path at present by which that changes.

afty

Most don't.  Superchargers charge idle fees if you leave your car after it's filled up. 

At Google some of the chargers have a waitlist system.  If the charger is taken, you tap your card and then get a notification on your phone when the current car is full.  That person also gets a notification and is expected to move their car so you can charge. 

CaminoRacer

Quote from: afty on August 23, 2019, 10:20:57 AM
Most don't.  Superchargers charge idle fees if you leave your car after it's filled up. 

At Google some of the chargers have a waitlist system.  If the charger is taken, you tap your card and then get a notification on your phone when the current car is full.  That person also gets a notification and is expected to move their car so you can charge. 

I think ChargePoint might have a system like that
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

My brother loves to complain about Leaf drivers. Apparently they get free juice for life and so they love to squander precious charger time.

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on August 23, 2019, 10:20:57 AM

That's gotta suck if they're in the middle of watching a movie in the cinema.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

afty

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2019, 04:17:59 AM
That's gotta suck if they're in the middle of watching a movie in the cinema.  :lol:
Somehow we manage  :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on August 24, 2019, 09:31:57 AM
Somehow we manage  :lol:

Or you're about to make love to the most beautiful woman you just met at a bar. She's taking off her bra and... BEEP BEEP, CAR IS FULLY CHARGED. MOVE IT AWAY NOW! Damn, moment ruined. :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2019, 12:45:49 PM
Or you're about to make love to the most beautiful woman you just met at a bar. She's taking off her bra and... BEEP BEEP, CAR IS FULLY CHARGED. MOVE IT AWAY NOW! Damn, moment ruined. :lol:

Most people don't bother moving their car in the middle of the night.

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on August 24, 2019, 12:57:01 PM
Most people don't bother moving their car in the middle of the night.

And that could be a problem for charging stations when it's late at night.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 24, 2019, 01:09:56 PM
And that could be a problem for charging stations when it's late at night.

get a garage, problem solved :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on August 24, 2019, 01:16:11 PM
get a garage, problem solved :lol:

Does not work everywhere sadly. Many people have to park their cars on the street. It's a daily struggle to find a parking space when coming home from work.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

afty

This whole move-your-car-when-its-done-charging thing is only a problem if there aren't enough chargers to go around.  In the long run, they'll have to build out enough slow-charging capacity for people who park on the street to leave their cars plugged in overnight.  For now, it's probably not a great idea to buy an EV if you don't have a place to charge it.

afty

I saw my first e-tron today. It looks... like a Q8. Don't think I would have noticed it if they weren't driving like an asshole.

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on September 15, 2019, 11:08:41 AM
I saw my first e-tron today. It looks... like a Q8. Don't think I would have noticed it if they weren't driving like an asshole.

In Germany there's some serious anti-SUV sentiment going around right now. It's only a matter of time before SUV drivers are pulled out of their cars and beaten or shot. Literally. :lol:

The same applies to electric SUVs. On a TV show today some Greenie cunt was literally hating on all SUVs (and cars), ICE and EV and said that at the most we should all be driving a Smart ForTwo EV. I wanted to punch her in the face and throw up.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

giant_mtb

They don't like SUVs in Germany?  Never heard that one before.