EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

MrH

Looks like Sony and Honda are partnering to make EVs.  That's a really interesting combination.  Honda felt a bit behind in the EV game compared to other OEMs.  I like a lot of totally unrelated things Sony makes.  Could be cool :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MrH on March 04, 2022, 07:27:43 AM
Looks like Sony and Honda are partnering to make EVs.  That's a really interesting combination.  Honda felt a bit behind in the EV game compared to other OEMs.  I like a lot of totally unrelated things Sony makes.  Could be cool :huh:

Potentially a better partner than LG...
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

veeman

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 04, 2022, 06:49:16 AM
My guess is it's an attempt to create a clean sheet corporate culture to attract the talent they need: CS people, software engineers, hardware engineers, EE people. Still plenty of room for skills they have in abundance: body, suspension, interior, assembly etc., but the brain, heart, lungs & guts are totally different.

Quote from: MrH on March 04, 2022, 07:24:59 AM
Yeah, I agree.  I think this is strictly for attracting talent and culture perspective.  It's not a big change to the end customer at all.

Let's hope it works out better for Ford than Saturn did for GM.

Morris Minor

The middlemen continue to fight. You are going to need that sparkplug change and transmission flush on your EV.

https://kfor.com/news/local/bill-to-be-potential-road-block-for-tesla-in-oklahoma/
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 04, 2022, 10:27:49 AM
The middlemen continue to fight. You are going to need that sparkplug change and transmission flush on your EV.

https://kfor.com/news/local/bill-to-be-potential-road-block-for-tesla-in-oklahoma/

Gotta protect the negative-value-added middlemen!
1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Morris Minor

My understanding is that states prohibited manufacturers from selling & servicing direct to customers as an anti-trust measure against the mega automotive manufacturers; small local franchisees could stay in business & compete with each other on prices.
What has happened in this state (GA), as far as I can see, is that these franchises, at least the ones in the metro areas, have been snapped up by huge operations that have deep pockets and sophisticated lobbying operations. They're going in hard to protect their turf.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 04, 2022, 11:49:47 AM
My understanding is that states prohibited manufacturers from selling & servicing direct to customers as an anti-trust measure against the mega automotive manufacturers; small local franchisees could stay in business & compete with each other on prices.
What has happened in this state (GA), as far as I can see, is that these franchises, at least the ones in the metro areas, have been snapped up by huge operations that have deep pockets and sophisticated lobbying operations. They're going in hard to protect their turf.

I was always told it was a measure to keep horsemongers from going hungry.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

The history of how things end up where they are is always interesting. Time for some big shake ups!!!
Will

SJ_GTI

VW's EV van has been "unofficially" revealed. Looks pretty good IMHO even if it isn't the type of vehicle I would want.

Morris Minor

Add Porsche to VW's production woes: they've had to stop production of the Taycan because of the Ukraine War.  :(

https://insideevs.com/news/572348/porsche-taycan-production-halted-components/

NomisR

The VW EV Bus would be interesting.  Something I definitely would be interested in if I had the space for it.

SJ_GTI

Official details are that it won't come to the US until 2024 (which could mean end of 2024, so possibly 2.5 years from now). The model I posted above is the short wheel base version which will be released in Europe this year. The US version will be a long wheel base version, presumably to better compete with minivans?

The SWB version is ~185 inches long, so pretty compact. The ID.4 is ~180 inches I think. My Golf is ~170 inches. A Honda Civic is ~183 inches.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 09, 2022, 08:06:59 AM
Add Porsche to VW's production woes: they've had to stop production of the Taycan because of the Ukraine War.  :(

https://insideevs.com/news/572348/porsche-taycan-production-halted-components/

What were the VW Group's contingency planners doing these last few month?

Morris Minor

Porsche is halting all production.

MrH

Quote from: Galaxy on March 10, 2022, 01:55:42 AM
What were the VW Group's contingency planners doing these last few month?

You think you can validate and swap suppliers in a few months?  On something as big and as complicated as wiring harnesses?  It's not just one supplier either.  There are multiple wiring harness factories across multiple companies that are located in Ukraine.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Those things are a 4D chess nightmare.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on March 10, 2022, 10:57:12 AM
You think you can validate and swap suppliers in a few months?  On something as big and as complicated as wiring harnesses?  It's not just one supplier either.  There are multiple wiring harness factories across multiple companies that are located in Ukraine.

And VWAG is more hidebound and selective than- well anybody else I've ever dealt with (including Toyota).
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

They could change their business model and be flexible like Chrysler. 

Galaxy

Quote from: MrH on March 10, 2022, 10:57:12 AM

The wiring harness supplier that is affected is Leoni, that is a German company with a global presence. Do I expect this to work without any snags? No. But VW's was forced to shut down some productions on day 4 of the Ukraine invasion.

Galaxy

Quote from: Morris Minor on February 20, 2022, 08:47:58 PM
I did not see light truck EVs as a realistic towing proposition. You need a diesel torque beast to do that.

Apparently the electric Ram truck will will have a range extender option. That seems to be the best of both worlds for towing.

Galaxy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxuB4H6uCq8&t=6s

When Cammisa left (was fired?) Motortrend a few years ago, he initially fell into a hole, however he has really picked himself up again.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 10, 2022, 02:38:39 PM
They could change their business model and be flexible like Chrysler. 

I don't know exactly how to put this, but the difference between being a Stellantis supplier versus a VWAG supplier is like the difference between running a middle school shop class's mock business team versus running an actual precision machine shop.

GoCougs

Quote from: Galaxy on March 10, 2022, 05:39:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxuB4H6uCq8&t=6s

When Cammisa left (was fired?) Motortrend a few years ago, he initially fell into a hole, however he has really picked himself up again.

He is watchable and has great vids. He was toned done in this one though.

Good car, nobody will buy it though.

Laconian

Quote from: Galaxy on March 10, 2022, 05:37:55 PM
Apparently the electric Ram truck will will have a range extender option. That seems to be the best of both worlds for towing.

That would be nice. I'm guessing the range extender would be a small unit, recharging the battery slowly over longer periods of time?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 10, 2022, 06:00:01 PM
I don't know exactly how to put this, but the difference between being a Stellantis supplier versus a VWAG supplier is like the difference between running a middle school shop class's mock business team versus running an actual precision machine shop.

So you're saying it's doable right? :lol:

SJ_GTI

Quote from: GoCougs on March 10, 2022, 07:21:52 PM
Good car, nobody will buy it though.

I think in a different type of market this might be true, but right now it seems like every automaker can sell every car they make, and could sell more if they could make more. If companies like Rivian and Lucid could make more cars faster they will do well. If they struggle to ramp up production they will of course have trouble staying in business. I don't think demand will be the underlying problem though.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 11, 2022, 05:50:31 AM
I think in a different type of market this might be true, but right now it seems like every automaker can sell every car they make, and could sell more if they could make more. If companies like Rivian and Lucid could make more cars faster they will do well. If they struggle to ramp up production they will of course have trouble staying in business. I don't think demand will be the underlying problem though.

Except the reason cars are in such demand now is precisely because companies are struggling with production.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on March 10, 2022, 09:36:26 PM
So you're saying it's doable right? :lol:

In one sense, yes; because there are literally hundreds of companies that would like to be suppliers to VWAG. In another sense, no; because VWAG will not buy from suppliers that don't meet their standards and have gone through their validation process.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 11, 2022, 06:14:45 AM
Except the reason cars are in such demand now is precisely because companies are struggling with production.

Understood, my post was just clarifying that if they don't sell any (or really as many as they need to to stay in business) it will be the production that is the issue, not demand.