EVs

Started by Morris Minor, November 08, 2018, 04:03:12 AM

AutobahnSHO

I'd be fine with replacing tickets for loud exhausts, stupid license plate covers, etc... for speeding tickets
Will

FoMoJo

Quote from: Laconian on November 23, 2022, 04:15:49 PM
I can't wait until more cars go EV. I live near a formerly quiet road which turned into a freeway bypass with the advent of Google Maps' clever routing. Loud ICE pipes can suck it, I hate them.
Our new next door neighbour has a couple of twenty-something sons, one with a Mini Cooper, the other with a Mustang GT, each with after-market exhaust.  At 7 am each morning, the Cooper starts, warms up and buzzes off down the street.  I can still hear it a few blocks away.  The Mustang used to do the same, but I see it still parked most of the day.  I guess he lost his job.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

......are we seriously at a point where car enthusiasts on a car forum are glad they don't get to hear a V8 muscle car?

FoMoJo

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 23, 2022, 06:39:04 PM
......are we seriously at a point where car enthusiasts on a car forum are glad they don't get to hear a V8 muscle car?
Personally, I love the sound, even at 7 am.  Even the Mini sounds pretty good, nothing like rice at all.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Laconian

Brodozers with straight pipes and shrieking wastegates, making 120dB to climb a 3% grade at 35mph? Fuck that shit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

If I can hear it over the TV with windows closed and it's half a neighborhood away, it should be impounded. If I can hear it 50ft away or on the highway ONLY at WOT, cool.
Will

Morris Minor

I was in a town in N. Georgia the other day and a woman on the sidewalk was covering her toddler's ears to protect it from the racket. Couple of wispy-beards in brodozers.

Oh and people's EVs are subject to random keying, window-smashing & coal-rolling.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 24, 2022, 07:14:54 AM
If I can hear it over the TV with windows closed and it's half a neighborhood away, it should be impounded. If I can hear it 50ft away or on the highway ONLY at WOT, cool.

Well yeah. There's certainly a difference between tastefully noisy and simply obnoxious.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: giant_mtb on November 24, 2022, 07:44:53 AM
Well yeah. There's certainly a difference between tastefully noisy and simply obnoxious.

OEM= tasteful usually.

Practically anything aftermarket is on the obnoxious side.
Will

MrH

Maybe we're all getting old.  I hate 95% of aftermarket exhausts too.  Most are miserable.

The worst offenders aren't even the car and truck guys.  It's Harley Davidsons BY FAR.  Just miserable sounds and brutal sound levels.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

r0tor

I'm fatigued by the noise too.  My house is a good mile away from a somewhat busy road and you still hear ridiculously loud exhausts all summer.

Both my cars have aftermarket exhaust but both are pretty quiet.  The Alfa is a bit loud on cold start, but even stock modern cars are guilty of that
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on November 28, 2022, 01:03:19 PM
Maybe we're all getting old.  I hate 95% of aftermarket exhausts too.  Most are miserable.

The worst offenders aren't even the car and truck guys.  It's Harley Davidsons BY FAR.  Just miserable sounds and brutal sound levels.

Not getting old IMO, vehicles just sound worse than ever, esp. diesel trucks. lol WTF at uncorking your slow, smelly, smokey, clanky oil burner. HDs are awful too. There's a strong correlation between poor performance + poor sound and the propensity for loud exhaust.

LE is nowhere to be seen on the issue. In my area a city is testing traffic noise cameras - trip the noise meter, get a ticket. Won't see me complain.

I've had aftermarket exhaust, and have done the cherry bomb thing in the past. Those days are over. It really doesn't sound good. Induction sound >>> exhaust sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCMUr3c6X70

SJ_GTI

On a topic other than exhaust notes...I finally saw a Lucid out in the wild. It looked better in the flesh than I expected. Definitely "looks" expensive. It will be interesting to see if Lucid and Rivian are able to stay in business long term.

Morris Minor

They disturb the peace here too... quiet scenery ruined by racket from belching semi-combusted hydrocarbons.
And if you're unfortunate enough to catch sight of the owners... ugh. Some of them even bring their females - exposing thongs & tattooed blubber.

Gantry hoist block & tackle needed to get on & off the bikes, & to mate.

CALL_911

Quote from: MrH on November 28, 2022, 01:03:19 PM

+1 million

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Laconian

Miserable sounds amped up to "F U" levels for the sake of it. Just insecure trogdolytes getting off on how much shit society lets them get away with.

I still love the sound of a well implemented ICE drivetrain. I roll down my windows to take in the sounds of cars with nice exhausts and engines, especially Ferraris and Lamborghinis. But burpy German turbo fours don't do it for me, and Impreza exhausts are just as nasty as Harleys. Best sounding exhaust I've heard in person ever has been the LF-A. Too bad there are so few of them on the road, but the note is just smooth as silk.

AutobahnSHO

Best exhaust I ever heard was an 850. Buttery smooth and deep at idle, revved up sounded like a sexy jet engine almost!
Will

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 30, 2022, 09:20:29 PM
Best exhaust I ever heard was an 850. Buttery smooth and deep at idle, revved up sounded like a sexy jet engine almost!

A Volvo 850 ??? :confused:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

I am hoping he means an BMW 850csi. I think that was a V12.

FoMoJo

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 30, 2022, 09:20:29 PM
Close to my favourite exhaust sound...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOChn4_n7d0

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on December 01, 2022, 07:33:19 AM
A Volvo 850 ??? :confused:

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly - then I remembered the Beemer.

AutobahnSHO

Lololololol. Definitely the Beemer
Will

Rich

http://youtu.be/7p5Uym-YdAc

I'd drive it. If it was cheaper and went a bit faster I'd want one.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Laconian

Morris Minor

Watching SPINners (Laconian) slowly migrate to EVs, makes me wonder what will be the effect on residuals of ICE cars. Used hybrid & PHEVs will be okay but if you're looking to finance a used pure gasser to upgrade from your existing gasser  - interest rates are pretty high. You'd get the whole auto financing industry stuck with collateral that doesn't cover the existing debt owed.

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 04, 2022, 09:29:41 AM
lol

https://youtu.be/LjuTg6diDCU

Goes to show that Diesel is king when it comes to towing and long-distance hauling.

That was funny when they wanted to charge the Hummer and had to dump the trailer so it could fit into the charging area...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

You can't beat fossil fuels for energy density, wide availability, or speed of refueling. Taking EV trucks over long distances really feels like putting a square peg in a round hole. Perhaps hydrogen fuel cells will be the thing for big trucks?

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on December 18, 2022, 01:11:00 PM
You can't beat fossil fuels for energy density, wide availability, or speed of refueling. Taking EV trucks over long distances really feels like putting a square peg in a round hole. Perhaps hydrogen fuel cells will be the thing for big trucks?

Yeah hydrogen fuel-cell trucks make more sense and the current high costs for hydrogen can be offset by the fact that these trucks are literally on the road 24/7 getting their money's worth.

I also wouldn't underestimate the role that eFuels could and should play - synthetic carbon neutral fuels which can keep billions of ICE cars on the road. That would instantly help lower CO2 emissions. Let's get real: the rest of the world will be driving ICEs for decades to come. There is a market for eFuels.

IMO BEV cars are ideal for the city, but with their lack of serious range (on paper it looks good but once the weather, creature comfort and other factors come into play that range does not look so good anymore...) they just lack the comfort and flexibility of an ICE car on longer trips. We're being asked to rethink the way we travel with more stops (to charge) and slower travel (particularly in Germany where speeding is awesome).
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

r0tor

Ultimate problem is you can't store hydrogen onboard for any length of time
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed