Bimmer's (potential) Garage Shake-up Mega-Thread

Started by BimmerM3, November 11, 2018, 06:00:54 PM

Raza

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 27, 2019, 12:24:57 AM
Yup, 2008 black on black. Not a CR. I'll have to start a bidding war between you, my dad's neighbor, and one of my friends. :lol:

I can also apparently get a 2009ish Forester for around the same price.

The basic problem is that the Explorer kinda sucks to drive from Boulder to my dad's condo in the mountains. Both a two-line twisty state road and a four lane interstate that's fairly steep the whole way, going up to 11-12k feet depending on the route I take. Forester/Crosstrek would solve the twisty road problem better and be more efficient, but Xterra would solve the steep road problem better and be more capable off-road (not that I'd need it very much).

Fortunately, there's a Subaru dealership pretty close to some of the steepest and highest elevation parts of the drive. I already have a test drive route in mind that incorporates both twisty two lane road and steep interstate, going both uphill and downhill on each.

Worth a try.  Having recently driven a massive Nissan Armada on some fast, somewhat curvy roads, I can attest that modern SUVs, though sometimes worrying, are much more capable than older SUVs used to be.  Even that monstrosity, which actually made me feel a little uncomfortable on some of those Napa roads (especially at night and on two lane country roads that had like 60-65mph speed limits--no light pollution out there, so you can really only see what's in your headlights), felt generally okay and decent to drive.  I've been in sedans from 15 years ago that weren't as competent on the road.  So modernizing the Explorer will probably reap benefits all around.  And if you don't need the space to haul all your kids and their hockey equipment, a Forester might be a great choice.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 26, 2019, 10:14:36 PM
Do that. 

Is your S2000 an AP2 with a glass rear window and traction control?  If so, I'd consider buying it to replace the Z4 next year.
Over a TT????!?!???
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

You need something with a turbo. Try a late model Ford Escape Ecoboost.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

12,000 RPM

Cant believe I'm saying this but if that's an option he should look at a Kia Sportage SX

Faster, better equipped, possibly more fuel efficient which is saying something

Eye of the Tiger

Jeep Compass Rallaye!!!

limited availability!!!!!!

Laconian

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 27, 2019, 12:34:37 PM
Cant believe I'm saying this but if that's an option he should look at a Kia Sportage SX

Faster, better equipped, possibly more fuel efficient which is saying something

A size class above, much worse AWD, and do Kias still have that bizarre programming in their electric steering?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

BimmerM3

Nah I'm probably just gonna get a Crosstrek. Or not. Who knows? I certainly do not.

GoCougs

Jesus, have you driven one? Nice package/size/looks/etc., but criminally gutless. At altitude I think it would borderline unusable (esp. on the mountain passes).

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on January 27, 2019, 07:31:47 PM
Jesus, have you driven one? Nice package/size/looks/etc., but criminally gutless. At altitude I think it would borderline unusable (esp. on the mountain passes).

No. There's a dealership near Silverthorne near high elevation highway and 2-lane passes that I'm gonna test drive at before I actually make a decision.

But they're also all over the place in CO. They're clearly capable of making it.

AutobahnSHO

Meh, Germans drive the Autobahn with gutless little tin cans. There are hardly ever any opportunities many people in the US have to use 200hp+.  You do have to be aware of the lower power and drive accordingly.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Why Crosstrak when you can WRX? For what, 0.6" of ground clearance? I made that up, but whatver.

CaminoRacer

It really bugs me how gutless cars like the Crosstrek are. So much potential squandered.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Eye of the Tiger

Okay, so it's 8.7" vs 4.9" of ground clearance. I'm sure there is a lift kit for WRX.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 27, 2019, 08:27:12 PM
It really bugs me how gutless cars like the Crosstrek are. So much potential squandered.

The dimensions are likely super close to the WRX. While it's survivable, no reason they can't terbow.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 27, 2019, 09:56:20 PM
The dimensions are likely super close to the WRX.

They're both Imprezas, even though Subaru kinda pretends they aren't anymore.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 27, 2019, 09:56:20 PM
While it's survivable, no reason they can't terbow.

Engine in the Crosstrek was designed to be lightweight so it's not overbuilt enough to handle any turbo that's worth the fuss, so they can't just slap a turbo on that same engine and call it a day.

But they could put the WRX engine in the Crosstrek. Or even just the extra 30 hp from the 2.5 in the Forester would be awesome.

2o6

Are y'all not realizing that the cross trek is an Impreza hatchback with a lift kit?

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on January 27, 2019, 10:35:02 PM
Are y'all not realizing that the cross trek is an Impreza hatchback with a lift kit?

Hey now, don't forget about the extra plastic and bigger tires.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 27, 2019, 10:44:58 PM
Hey now, don't forget about the extra plastic and bigger tires.

I had a CVT rental Impreza a few weeks ago, aside from the overall slowness, and irritating alignment, it was a good car.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on January 27, 2019, 12:56:51 PM
A size class above, much worse AWD, and do Kias still have that bizarre programming in their electric steering?
1 & 2 are fair points, but he was looking at a Clarity & Volt IIRC so AWD can't be that big of a deal

I know what you mean about the steering... I returned a Soul rental the same day partially because of it... but the steering on my Optima is really good.

New SX AWDs are out of his price range anyway.

Eye of the Tiger

Yeah, just put Crosstrek struts on a WRX, or WRX drivetrain in Crosstrek. EZ?

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

BimmerM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 28, 2019, 05:05:45 AM
1 & 2 are fair points, but he was looking at a Clarity & Volt IIRC so AWD can't be that big of a deal

Realistically, if I got either of those cars, I think I'd have to keep the Explorer.

AWD and moderate off-road ability are top priority for downsizing to a single car. Hence the focus on Subarus.

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 28, 2019, 07:09:58 AM
Yeah, just put Crosstrek struts on a WRX, or WRX drivetrain in Crosstrek. EZ?
Quote from: MrH on January 28, 2019, 08:07:24 AM
Just get a 4Runner and be done with it.

How about you guys both send me checks to make up the price differences, and I will do the suggestion of whoever's check clears first.

Also, while 4Runners are desirable for many reasons, I don't know that it would solve any of the things that I dislike about the Explorer. Plus we've gotta be getting close to a new generation at this point.

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 28, 2019, 08:20:56 AM
Realistically, if I got either of those cars, I think I'd have to keep the Explorer.

AWD and moderate off-road ability are top priority for downsizing to a single car. Hence the focus on Subarus.

How about you guys both send me checks to make up the price differences, and I will do the suggestion of whoever's check clears first.

Also, while 4Runners are desirable for many reasons, I don't know that it would solve any of the things that I dislike about the Explorer. Plus we've gotta be getting close to a new generation at this point.

I think 2020 is the plan for it.

If you think the 4Runner won't drive better than the Explorer and doesn't solve the issues, than an Xterra definitely won't fix the problems.

I'd pretty much be exclusively looking at turbos at your elevation.  CX-5 Turbo?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

I don't have checks.

FoMoJo

I know it's not in your current budget, but if you are considering a new off-roader at some point, it might be fun to check out the new Bronco; when it's available.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

GoCougs

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 27, 2019, 07:35:43 PM
No. There's a dealership near Silverthorne near high elevation highway and 2-lane passes that I'm gonna test drive at before I actually make a decision.

But they're also all over the place in CO. They're clearly capable of making it.

Well, yes, I was exaggerating, but for an enthusiast, I find it (and most all Subarus) maddening for their chronic, intentional lack of power.

I'm sorta in this market, and choices are slim. The Jetta wagon Alltrack thingy gets good reviews, is turbo, and has M/T option. VW reliability risk though. A slightly used A4 Allroad is in the ballpark too (but again, ze German reliability risk).

CaminoRacer

If I lived in Colorado my shortlist would be GT-R or 911 Turbo.

I'm sure you can find a liftkit for either.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Seems the body is just a tiny bit taller?
Will