Bimmer's (potential) Garage Shake-up Mega-Thread

Started by BimmerM3, November 11, 2018, 06:00:54 PM

Eye of the Tiger

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a CRD Jeep Liberty. Wait, what is the original objective here?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 28, 2019, 10:44:05 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a CRD Jeep Liberty. Wait, what is the original objective here?

No one should ever buy a Jeep that's not a Wrangler, classic Cherokee, or pre-1993. And even then, you probably shouldn't get one.

2o6

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 28, 2019, 10:31:02 AM
Seems the body is just a tiny bit taller?

The body stampings between the car are 100% the same. The interior is the same. The everything is the same, except some tacked on plastic cladding.

BimmerM3

Only mechanical differences are 6-speed MT in the Crosstrek instead of 5-speed, and apparently a beefier rear diff which is why the Crosstrek is rated to tow a little bit and the Impreza isn't.

I think the roof rails are standard on the Crosstrek, but optional on the Impreza, so maybe that's why Will thinks it looks taller (other than the added ground clearance, which makes up the bulk of the difference).

Xer0

It also has cooler looking rims, imo.  And awesome colors.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on January 28, 2019, 02:29:47 PM

The body stampings between the car are 100% the same. The interior is the same. The everything is the same, except some tacked on plastic cladding.

Weird I totally thought they added a couple inches of height for more interior space.

No wonder people are buying them up- same car as Impreza that's been out forever but "off-roadier" (cooler, manlier, whatever). I iz disappointed.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 28, 2019, 03:31:58 PM
Weird I totally thought they added a couple inches of height for more interior space.

No wonder people are buying them up- same car as Impreza that's been out forever but "off-roadier" (cooler, manlier, whatever). I iz disappointed.

It's basically just what the Outback Sport used to be, but probably easier to market with it's own name.

Laconian

Outback Sport: it's an Impreza wagon with a hood scoop to nowhere.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

The latest Motor Trend issue compared the Kona, Kicks, and Ecosport. Kona wins by a mile. Buy a Kona. It's better than a Crosstrek.

2o6

The Kona is ok, I drove one a few weeks ago. One with all the goodies is kind of expensive.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 28, 2019, 05:27:35 PM

Ours doesn't have a hoodscoop. Wife bought it on impulse though. She said she wanted manual but salesguy totally steered her into this slushiemobile. Maybe they'd had a hard time unloading it?...
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 28, 2019, 07:27:03 PM
Ours doesn't have a hoodscoop. Wife bought it on impulse though. She said she wanted manual but salesguy totally steered her into this slushiemobile. Maybe they'd had a hard time unloading it?...

AT probably cost more money. Sales guy wanted to make more money.

I mostly ask sales people questions I already know the answer to. Lets me know the degree to which they are full of shit.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Laconian on January 28, 2019, 05:27:35 PM

To be fair, my ice cream scoop doesn't go anywhere either.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: BimmerM3 on January 28, 2019, 07:30:43 PM
AT probably cost more money. Sales guy wanted to make more money.

Good point- it also has extra subwoofer (not terrible but OEM would be way more bang for buck), rear spoiler, fancy seat stitching, rubber mat in cargo area, and a few other kibbles which push price up.
Will

BimmerM3

Quote from: GoCougs on January 28, 2019, 09:25:42 AM
Well, yes, I was exaggerating, but for an enthusiast, I find it (and most all Subarus) maddening for their chronic, intentional lack of power.

I'm sorta in this market, and choices are slim. The Jetta wagon Alltrack thingy gets good reviews, is turbo, and has M/T option. VW reliability risk though. A slightly used A4 Allroad is in the ballpark too (but again, ze German reliability risk).

Yeah, it's definitely not ideal. If I get anything new this year, practicality, affordability, and capability take priority over any sort of sportiness, though I might just wait longer until I can afford something at least a little better (3.6 Outback or Rav-4 Adventure probably).

BimmerM3

Holy hell, I thought you guys were exaggerating at least a little bit talking about how slow the Crosstrek is. :lol: I haven't driven it on steep roads or at altitude yet, but it was pretty bad just on a stretch of flat highway. I drove both a CVT and a 6-speed and they really didn't feel much different. If I actually got one, I might go for the CVT just to get EyeSight.

So the Crosstrek isn't completely out of the question, but right now I think I'm gonna keep Explorer and see how my job situations shakes out over the next few months. Maybe I'll consider replacing the S2000 with a WRX. It'd at least get a lot more winter use.

Eye of the Tiger

When you're used to Exploder TORQ, a Crosstrek CVT is going to be like mole asses. I can help with that. You can borrow the Ranger for 1 month, unlimited mileage, for the low low price of $2999.95.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 04, 2019, 05:53:34 PM
When you're used to Exploder TORQ, a Crosstrek CVT is going to be like mole asses. I can help with that. You can borrow the Ranger for 1 month, unlimited mileage, for the low low price of $2999.95.

I've driven enough crappy rentals that I thought I knew what slow was. Nope.

12,000 RPM

I had a Chevy Venture van for my first job in NYC. Man that thing was perfect for the city. Copious torq
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Lol. My wife drove Impreza almost exclusively for 8 years. When we got Odyssey (2015) she was "WOW SO MUCH POWER" and still talks about it lol.
Will

MrH

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 04, 2019, 06:14:22 PM
I've driven enough crappy rentals that I thought I knew what slow was. Nope.

You get acclimated to your daily driver's power really quick too.  Everything felt fast when I was driving the 4Runner.  Now everything feels so slow.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

giant_mtb

Everything that isn't a pickup or an older BOF SUV feels like racecar compared to Taco.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2019, 08:08:45 AM
Everything that isn't a pickup or an older BOF SUV feels like racecar compared to Taco.

True. Even Dakota feels like race truck compared to Ranger/GMC. Rack n pinion sterring.

BimmerM3

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 05, 2019, 08:08:45 AM

Not a Crosstrek. At least not in a straight line.

CaminoRacer

I used to think my 4 cylinder Mazda6 was decently zippy. After driving the El Camino daily for a couple of years, anything with less than ~250 hp feels dog slow. Especially on the freeway.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 05, 2019, 09:32:59 AM
I used to think my 4 cylinder Mazda6 was decently zippy. After driving the El Camino daily for a couple of years, anything with less than ~250 hp feels dog slow. Especially on the freeway.
Torque is king.  I remember medium/big blocks of the '60s cruising up and down hills never slowing an iota without having to nudge the gas pedal or shifting down.  These little putt-putt motors have the transmission tripping through gears even on the smallest incline.  Of course, back then, we were getting about 12 mpg.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

BimmerM3

I drive an S2000. I don't mind high revs. The Crosstrek is slow even at higher revs.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BimmerM3

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 05, 2019, 09:47:16 AM
Torque is king.  I remember medium/big blocks of the '60s cruising up and down hills never slowing an iota without having to nudge the gas pedal or shifting down.  These little putt-putt motors have the transmission tripping through gears even on the smallest incline.  Of course, back then, we were getting about 12 mpg.

Especially when you don't have overdrive, so you're cruising at 3000-3300 rpm on the highway making GOBS of torque.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV