All-New 2019 Mazda3 Looks Sleek Inside And Out In Best Photos Yet

Started by cawimmer430, November 13, 2018, 05:16:48 PM

Laconian

But seriously, how cool would a SkyActive-X I6 be? If they could manage to combine high specific output and high 20's combined fuel economy... that would be amazing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 10, 2019, 09:50:43 PM
But seriously, how cool would a SkyActive-X I6 be? If they could manage to combine high specific output and high 20's combined fuel economy... that would be amazing.

It would be 1.5X as good as the 4 cylinder, but with a bonus +100 buttery smoothness
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Stick shift
6MT
I6 HCCI

Sporty will say there's no market, but I'd hit that :mrcool:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on May 10, 2019, 10:00:08 PM
Stick shift
6MT
I6 HCCI

+ transverse mount FWD biased AWD.  :muffin:

r0tor

Quote from: Laconian on May 10, 2019, 10:00:08 PM
Stick shift
6MT
I6 HCCI

Just don't let sporty drive it... Cause he will hit something
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

We don't even know what the X 4 popper does. Their hesitance gives me pause.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on May 11, 2019, 09:50:40 AM
We don't even know what the X 4 popper does. Their hesitance gives me pause.

It is combustion magic :huh:

MX793

There's still no planned release date for SkyAtiv-X in America.  Baby steps.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Payman

Someone at work has a new Mazda3, in white. Looks friggin fantastic.  :wub:

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on June 25, 2019, 05:42:57 PM
Definitely the right Mazda colour.  Needs black mirrors though.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

giant_mtb

Tell them to get some IronX, stat.  They'll need it after next winter.

Payman

The Mazda3 pics really don't do it justice. I wish the Miata had that front end. Really sleek looking.

BimmerM3

Quote from: Rockraven on June 25, 2019, 05:42:57 PM

That whole rear quarter panel/C pillar thing still looks absolutely awful to me.

Xer0

C&D just compared the Mazda3 hatch with the Golf, both in manuals, and the Mazda won:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a28254044/2019-mazda-3-vs-2019-volkswagen-golf/

The obvious omission of the Civic hatch seems like stacking the deck in favor of the Mazda because it didn't sound like they were too amazed by it and lamented the lack of sportiness and how cramped it is.  They even added the comparison to the GTI at the end for the same amount of money.  After initial positive first drive reviews, maybe my criticism was more right than wrong.

12,000 RPM

VW really neutered the Golf in the swap from the 1.8T to the 1.4T. I've driven VWs with both engines and it's a very noticeable difference. The 1.8T is a turbine, the 1.4T is a food processor.

Civic would be my pick in this class as well. I've seen 0-60s from teh 1.5T as low as 6.4s with the CVT. Inside it's a class bigger than these cars and I'm pretty sure it's cheaper similarly equipped. I think all the Civics besides the Si/R come with Honda Sense too.

HurricaneSteve

So from what I can remember, in the past few years they picked the 3 over the Golf, Civic over the Golf and 3, and the GTI over the Si. They have also stated many times that the Golf is perhaps the perfect hatchback and is 90% of the GTI. The biggest detriment to the 3 in the past was its lack of refinement, something they rectified this go around (exceeding the class leading Golf according to this comparo) while toning down the sportiness.

What I'd like to know is where do these cars rank in terms of sport and also where they rank in refinement/comfort? The Golf was considered the class leader before because of its balance but according to C&D doesn't the 3 beat it now? From what I can tell, reviews for the 3 seem to indicate while it's lost a bit of its edge, it's still a very good drive (American, Canadian and European reviewers all seem to state this) while upping the NVH reduction and comfort considerably. I do think though that the Si is a tremendous value and would select it if I was looking for a performance daily under 30K.

Quote from: Xer0 on July 02, 2019, 10:17:54 AM
C&D just compared the Mazda3 hatch with the Golf, both in manuals, and the Mazda won:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a28254044/2019-mazda-3-vs-2019-volkswagen-golf/

The obvious omission of the Civic hatch seems like stacking the deck in favor of the Mazda because it didn't sound like they were too amazed by it and lamented the lack of sportiness and how cramped it is.  They even added the comparison to the GTI at the end for the same amount of money.  After initial positive first drive reviews, maybe my criticism was more right than wrong.

Laconian

It's really a shame the 3 hatch gave up so much rear legroom.

93JC

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 02, 2019, 10:31:33 AM
Civic would be my pick in this class as well. I've seen 0-60s from teh 1.5T as low as 6.4s with the CVT. Inside it's a class bigger than these cars and I'm pretty sure it's cheaper similarly equipped. I think all the Civics besides the Si/R come with Honda Sense too.

Quote from: 93JC on January 24, 2019, 07:50:32 PM

Civic Touring sedan as an example:

174 hp, CVT, Bluetooth, CarPlay/Android Auto, all the Honda lane-keeping/blindspot monitoring safety stuff, 10-speaker stereo w/ SiriusXM, 7" touchcreen, satnav, LED automatic headlights, moonroof, remote start, heated mirrors, heated leather seats, power front seats (8-way driver's, 4-way passenger's), rain-sensing wipers, for $27,300.

A "Premium" package 3 sedan, by comparison: 186 hp, 6-speed automatic, Bluetooth, CarPlay/Android Auto, all the Mazda lane-keeping/blindspot monitoring safety stuff, 12-speaker stereo w/ SiriusXM, 8.8" touchscreen, satnav, LED auto headlights (and LED taillights), sunroof, heated mirrors, heated leather seats, 10-way power driver's seat, rain-sensing wipers, heads-up display, blah blah blah, for $26,500.

2o6

I feel like real world transaction prices for the Honda will be lower. My local Honda dealer is offering specials etc on the Civic.

More importantly, you can get lower trimmed Civics in the US, but you can't in the Mazda 3. I see a lot of Civic LX's and Sports

Didn't know they now have a new base trim that's about ~ $1000 more than the Honda. Yet and still, my first point still stands.

HurricaneSteve

What kind of specials? In my experience, when I inquire about a Mazda, they generally give me a price that's at least 3 grand off of sticker and sometimes more (last one I was quoted was 32.5K on a CX-5 GTR). I thought it was Honda that was usually stingy with incentives?

Quote from: 2o6 on July 02, 2019, 01:30:55 PM
I feel like real world transaction prices for the Honda will be lower. My local Honda dealer is offering specials etc on the Civic.

More importantly, you can get lower trimmed Civics in the US, but you can't in the Mazda 3. I see a lot of Civic LX's and Sports

Didn't know they now have a new base trim that's about ~ $1000 more than the Honda. Yet and still, my first point still stands.

12,000 RPM

YEa Civics still move fast so no dice on discounts there. Mazda sales by comparison are in freefall so they will play ball.

BimmerM3

Quote from: 2o6 on July 02, 2019, 01:30:55 PM

The sedan-only trim for $21k? That was announced with the rest of the pricing.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2019-mazda3-leading-mazda-into-a-bold-new-era/

Still, a base Civic sedan is $19.5k. $1500 is not entirely trivial at that price point. Plus, I don't think the base 3 comes with the automation stuff, while the base Civic does.

2o6

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 02, 2019, 01:57:29 PM

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/2019-mazda3-leading-mazda-into-a-bold-new-era/

Still, a base Civic sedan is $19.5k. $1500 is not entirely trivial at that price point. Plus, I don't think the base 3 comes with the automation stuff, while the base Civic does.

Not to mention, a lot of people lease. Honda is offering a $179 lease special in my area.

HurricaneSteve

That's with the manual. With an automatic it goes up another $800 (still cheaper by about $700-$800). The 2.5L is more comparable to the 1.5T which begins at $23,400. The hatch on the other hand is significantly cheaper versus the 3 which begins at $23,600.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on July 02, 2019, 01:57:29 PM

MrH

I really like the looks of the 3.  Interior especially.

If they put the 2.5T in it, I'm buying one as a daily driver.  If they put the 2.5T with AWD and a 6-speed manual, I'm putting down a deposit day 1 :lol:

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

Mazda will make another moon shot engine before making an AWD manual transmission. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of the manual in the 3 altogether in a few years.

MrH

I'd be ok with the auto, awd, and 2.5T.

I'm not a fan of the current turd in there.  I've been spoiled by the Accord's 2.0T.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I don't even know that the 2.5T would match. At least not until they get a new auto box

But yes, ample low/midrange is great. The older I get the less I like having to rev engines out. It's nice if it's just an option vs a necessity, at least on the street

Xer0

Quote from: MrH on July 03, 2019, 07:47:37 AM
I'd be ok with the auto, awd, and 2.5T.

I'm not a fan of the current turd in there.  I've been spoiled by the Accord's 2.0T.

The 2.0T in the Accord is way way different than the Mazda 2.5T though.  The Accord's engine still kinda revs and pulls to redline.  The Mazda engine just gives you power, doesn't really rev, and falls on its face after like 4K RPM.  That 2.0 Honda mill is pretty sweet, it just doesn't sound the best  :lol:

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 03, 2019, 08:05:04 AM
I don't even know that the 2.5T would match. At least not until they get a new auto box

But yes, ample low/midrange is great. The older I get the less I like having to rev engines out. It's nice if it's just an option vs a necessity, at least on the street

Not match as in not fit the current transmission?  Yeah, I don't know.  They have it working in the CX-5 and CX-9.  Is the auto in the Mazda3 based off the autos in those two cars?

Quote from: Xer0 on July 03, 2019, 08:19:49 AM
The 2.0T in the Accord is way way different than the Mazda 2.5T though.  The Accord's engine still kinda revs and pulls to redline.  The Mazda engine just gives you power, doesn't really rev, and falls on its face after like 4K RPM.  That 2.0 Honda mill is pretty sweet, it just doesn't sound the best  :lol:

Meh, it doesn't rev much and you don't get a lot extra out of it by revving.  Horsepower is relatively flat from mid range to the top end.  It does a great job of giving you a punch from down low when you floor it and putting the power down.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited