Stealerships gotta steal

Started by r0tor, February 19, 2019, 10:18:33 AM

r0tor

... Just venting...

I've taken the JGC to the dealer for simple maintenance for 9 years now without too much of an issue.  Send the wife to the dealer with the JGC for an oil change and they con her into doing an engine and cabin filter change.  They convinced her by showing her the disgustingly dirty filters that "came from our JGC" .  Then charged a full hour ~$100 in labor for 2 tasks that would take about 5 minutes behind.  They also then tried to schedule her for an "emergency needed" coolant flush and tyranny oil change for a ridiculous amount of money.

I tried not to direct anger too her... But I know if changed these fucking filters before myself and I asked WTF would they pull the filters doing an oil change.

While taking my Giulia in for an inspection in the adjoining building I stopped in and found a wide selection of dirty ass filters that were used to on my wife... which the service manager obviously refuses to admit.  Also, just about the exact same story happened to her with her Focus at the Ford dealer.

Conning woman for money is just so fucking outrageous and why our dealership model in the US should burn in hell.

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

shp4man

What is a JGC, what year is it and how many miles are on it?

Payman

Quote from: shp4man on February 19, 2019, 10:27:06 AM
What is a JGC, what year is it and how many miles are on it?

Check his sig (except mileage).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2019, 10:18:33 AM
... Just venting...

Conning woman for money is just so fucking outrageous and why our dealership model in the US should burn in hell.

Jerks!!!  :heated:
Will

2o6

I mean most dealerships reccomend cabin air filter and engine air filters at oil changes

I get reccomended one every time, but I decline because of the huge markup on the parts themselves.

Speed_Racer

Every time my GF takes her Mazda3 in for an oil change, she calls me worried because they give her a list of "super urgent maintenance" that needs to be done. It's fine, I have her get the list then either I do it myself or tell her it's premature according to the maintenance schedule. But she shouldn't have to be made to feel stressed with every oil change.

When I took my car there for an oil change they didn't recommend anything.  :huh:

Soup DeVille

There is absolutely no reason for them to keep around used, dirty filters other than to show them to people as part of a scam. If they had an assortment of them, that is 100% absolutely what they are doing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Speed_Racer on February 19, 2019, 11:52:15 AM
Every time my GF takes her Mazda3 in for an oil change, she calls me worried because they give her a list of "super urgent maintenance" that needs to be done. It's fine, I have her get the list then either I do it myself or tell her it's premature according to the maintenance schedule. But she shouldn't have to be made to feel stressed with every oil change.

When I took my car there for an oil change they didn't recommend anything.  :huh:

I enjoy when they give me the list of maintenance needed. I decline all of it and then review which ones I might do myself.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

12,000 RPM

For some reason dealerships don't push back on me.

Shit like this is exactly why I do all our maintenance. Between getting dropped off and either getting a loaner or waiting for a shuttle I save time.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 19, 2019, 11:52:18 AM
There is absolutely no reason for them to keep around used, dirty filters other than to show them to people as part of a scam. If they had an assortment of them, that is 100% absolutely what they are doing.

I have a pic if I could remember what free image hosting site works anymore
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Oh, forgot...

And to make things worse the fucktard didn't install the cabin filter correctly and I had to reinstall it because the damn thing was whistling like crazy

shp4man

There is a recommended maintenance schedule for your car, it usually came with or is part of the owners manual.
It's really a common sense thing. Ever had the filters changed? Live on.a dirt road ? Drive like a fucking maniac?  :lol:
That sort of thing.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

93JC

I stopped taking my Mazda 3 to the stealership for maintenance after the prices got too high and they started pulling the dirty filter/fluids scam. Wanted to sell me $500 in fluid flushes; no thanks. I never went there again for fear they'd fuck with my car.

EDIT: Oh, and the best part was the engine air filter they claimed needed replacing. It had admittedly been a while since I'd changed it, but I declined and when I checked afterward they'd clearly shown me a different filter.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2019, 12:46:29 PM
Oh, forgot...

And to make things worse the fucktard didn't install the cabin filter correctly and I had to reinstall it because the damn thing was whistling like crazy

Get a silver sharpie. Right the replacement date and your initials on the edge of the filter itself. Next time she goes for an oil change, remind her about the sharpie.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: shp4man on February 19, 2019, 12:48:27 PM
There is a recommended maintenance schedule for your car, it usually came with or is part of the owners manual.
It's really a common sense thing. Ever had the filters changed? Live on.a dirt road ? Drive like a fucking maniac?  :lol:
That sort of thing.

Why would they keep a bunch pf dirty filters around?

r0tor

Xer0

I feel like there is a sliding scale of how much dealerships will haggle you with this stuff depending on what type of car you drive.  The more niche and specific it is, the less likely they are to bother since the owner probably is more aware of what's going on.  But if you drive the average fleet/lease special, they probably think you don't know any better so just try to up-sell you on everything. 

shp4man

Usually, the lowest skilled techs in the shop do stuff like flushes and filters. I personally hate having to do that kind of shit.

JWC

LOL.....I take the Honda to the Honda dealership....and they try to talk me out of the oil change and rotate. The last time it showed 60% oil life left. "You sure you want to service it this soon?". Yep, I give the engine a birthday....it's been a year since the last service.

I guess I'm just lucky.

JWC

Quote from: shp4man on February 19, 2019, 01:05:02 PM
Usually, the lowest skilled techs in the shop do stuff like flushes and filters. I personally hate having to do that kind of shit.

One problem I have with working at dealerships is having to sell such stuff. I sold service by the factory manual....not some crap made up by Wynn's.

r0tor

Quote from: JWC on February 19, 2019, 02:00:22 PM
LOL.....I take the Honda to the Honda dealership....and they try to talk me out of the oil change and rotate. The last time it showed 60% oil life left. "You sure you want to service it this soon?". Yep, I give the engine a birthday....it's been a year since the last service.

I guess I'm just lucky.

Ask the wife to take it alone next time and see if there is a difference ... I never had a problem either

r0tor

Another thing the wife use to be the victim of from the Ford dealer was making the oil change sticker only 3000 additional miles when the real interval was over double that.

Payman

Brought my son's Pontiac G5 to Canadian Tire for an oil change, Rick the manager is a friend of mine. He got one of the kids to do it, and afterwards I asked to see the old oil filter. He fished a standard screw-on type out of the trash, and I said that wasn't it. I told Rick, and he rolled his eyes. The G5 (and Cobalt) use an element filter. The kid was made to redo the work, and it was done for free. The idiot couldn't find the oil filter, so he didn't bother to ask or change it.

JWC

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2019, 02:44:21 PM
Another thing the wife use to be the victim of from the Ford dealer was making the oil change sticker only 3000 additional miles when the real interval was over double that.

That's is still considered the standard by many shops...and customers. One of my co-workers complained his dealership tries to stretch his oil changes past 3,000 miles.....just to get money out of him later when something goes wrong. I tried to tell him the vehicle's oil life index computes the miles reliably, but he says he will stick to 3K oil changes.

GoCougs

Quote from: JWC on February 19, 2019, 02:00:22 PM

I guess I'm just lucky.

My Honda dealership was the exact same - no BS - just sticking to the schedule in the manual.

GoCougs

As to the wider issue, perhaps they target women, but IME, they target me too.

ALWAYS and ONLY ever follow what the owner's manual says. No, long intervals isn't because they want engines or transmissions to wear out. No, synthetic oil is not better. NO. NO. NO.

Whenever a dealer "recommends" something ask if that is the scheduled interval. If not, tell them to follow ALWAYS and ONLY the interviews noted in the owner's manual.

ALWAYS and ONLY.

RomanChariot

Quote from: r0tor on February 19, 2019, 01:01:06 PM

That looks like a demonstration area to show what happens to filters over time. I don't doubt that they tried to stick it to your wife but I don't think this picture is the smoking gun.

Payman

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 19, 2019, 03:11:45 PM
That looks like a demonstration area to show what happens to filters over time. I don't doubt that they tried to stick it to your wife but I don't think this picture is the smoking gun.

Yeah that's what I see too. Was your wife actually shown one of these filters to pass off as coming from your vehicle?