Stealerships gotta steal

Started by r0tor, February 19, 2019, 10:18:33 AM

BimmerM3

Quote from: Lebowski on February 22, 2019, 01:09:23 PM
Of course you should blame yourself when getting ripped off - taking ownership of ones naïveté wrt the inescapable truth that there are skeazy people out there is the only way of guarding against it happening again. I can't wave a magic wand and make skeazeballs disappear, but I can control the way I interact with them.

Still, the rationally correct reacting of blaming oneself when it happens to you is not exactly the same as saying everyone who gets duped is themselves "at fault".

And as I said in my original response to MrH, it's entirely possible to both be a responsible consumer and hold businesses to moral standards. This is not an either/or situation.

I guess you've sort of answered it here, I'll complete that for you - of course it's not feasible to investigate a $100 scam

$100 scam * how many customers? Not to mention that the feasibility would also depend on any fines imposed that go to the investigative body.

and in this case it's also practically infeasible to meet any reasonable burden of proof.

I see you conveniently removed the following part of my post.

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 22, 2019, 12:57:44 PM
But, let's not forget that many Jiffy Lube locations have actually been fined for similar offenses. This isn't some totally out of the blue concern that's completely impossible to prosecute.

California literally has a "Bureau of Automotive Repair" that investigates cases like this, among other things.

shp4man

The California BAR are the regulatory agency of the auto repair industry. They do go after thieves with rigged cars and impose fines.

93JC

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 21, 2019, 12:16:15 PM
(yeah, it's a bit cheesy and they exaggerate/dramatize some stuff a bit, but it's interesting nonetheless)

https://youtu.be/-avpx8UTakI

Ehhhh, it's the CBC! :lol:

Marketplace has been on the CBC for eons. They used to have a pretty good consumer affairs show aimed at kids and teenagers called Street Cents; it's too bad they don't make it anymore.

12,000 RPM

Took my car to the Kia stealership to get a broken stud replaced. They are trustworthy; they saw all the things I knew needed to be fixed and a belt.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs