Stealerships gotta steal

Started by r0tor, February 19, 2019, 10:18:33 AM

Soup DeVille

I still say mark your filters, to eliminate doubt.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

You know where I go for the past few years for an oil change? My local Walmart. I bring the car in, they change the oil (Pennzoil) and filter while I shop, and for about $38, I'm on my way. I do it every 3-4 months.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2019, 03:24:58 PM
You know where I go for the past few years for an oil change? My local Walmart. I bring the car in, they change the oil (Pennzoil) and filter while I shop, and for about $38, I'm on my way. I do it every 3-4 months.

I do it at the shop. It costs me ~$30 and a 6-pack.  Sometimes I even get a free car wash! :rockon:

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 19, 2019, 03:46:58 PM
I do it at the shop. It costs me ~$30 and a 6-pack.  Sometimes I even get a free car wash! :rockon:

I gave up doing my own. The cost of oil, filter, the mess, bringing the oil in for disposal, and my time... fuck it. Walmart can do it while I'm shopping. I do my own brakes and the other Sunday mechanic stuff though.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2019, 03:50:08 PM
I gave up doing my own. The cost of oil, filter, the mess, bringing the oil in for disposal, and my time... fuck it. Walmart can do it while I'm shopping. I do my own brakes and the other Sunday mechanic stuff though.
I gave up doing it myself when it was too damned hard crawling under the car to remove the filter and drain plug.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 19, 2019, 03:55:03 PM
I gave up doing it myself when it was too damned hard crawling under the car to remove the filter and drain plug.

That too.  :lol:

shp4man

If I took my old truck into an oil change place:

They wouldn't have a filter
They'd have to ask me how many quarts it takes
When asked if they did the lube job, they'd say "Huh?"
They'd probably kill somebody- no clutch safety switch
Where's reverse?
Dude, 1st gear is like reeaaaly low, huh?

So I do it myself.   :lol:

r0tor

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 19, 2019, 03:11:45 PM
That looks like a demonstration area to show what happens to filters over time. I don't doubt that they tried to stick it to your wife but I don't think this picture is the smoking gun.

She pointed to 2 of them as being what she was shown that were from our Jeep
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Just get an oil drum. And then pour it down your nearest storm drain (just kidding don't do that)
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2019, 02:49:31 PM
Brought my son's Pontiac G5 to Canadian Tire for an oil change, Rick the manager is a friend of mine. He got one of the kids to do it, and afterwards I asked to see the old oil filter. He fished a standard screw-on type out of the trash, and I said that wasn't it. I told Rick, and he rolled his eyes. The G5 (and Cobalt) use an element filter. The kid was made to redo the work, and it was done for free. The idiot couldn't find the oil filter, so he didn't bother to ask or change it.

BimmerM3

Quote from: JWC on February 19, 2019, 02:01:27 PM
One problem I have with working at dealerships is having to sell such stuff. I sold service by the factory manual....not some crap made up by Wynn's.

My manager always tried to get me to do similar stuff when I worked in fast food (i.e. "Welcome! Would you like to try our NEW [insert food item]???") . They called it "suggestive selling." I always refused other than, "would you like a meal or just the entree?" because half the time the customer really did want the meal and just didn't say it, so I considered it to be a legitimate question.

Payman

Quote from: 93JC on February 19, 2019, 04:11:57 PM

Are you clapping because I was able to put Rick and rolled in the same sentence?  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

The army DIY garage is so awesome!!
Will

Payman

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 19, 2019, 06:19:40 PM
The army DIY garage is so awesome!!

Yeah we have an auto club on base with hoists. Handy for the bigger jobs but I haven't made use of it in a few years.

93JC

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2019, 04:24:23 PM
Are you clapping because I was able to put Rick and rolled in the same sentence?  :lol:

No, just the story in general of a kid showing you a spin-on filter when the car takes a cartridge. Don't get cocky, kid.

SJ_GTI

I do my own currently because its easier to do it in my garage rather than driver somewhere else to do it. Plus I can do other things (listen to podcasts or music) while I am doing it. But yeah I agree it isn't much of a money saver (unless you also hussle to always get your oil on sale, which I don't always do).

12,000 RPM

I just don't trust those super fast lube places, due to shit exactly like this. If anyone is going to lunch my engine, it's gonna be may
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on February 19, 2019, 03:24:58 PM

I'll just say that I worked at a Walmart Tirenloob for a few months, and I quit because they were so incompetent. The number of new engines they had to buy for screw ups just had to kill any profits. There was no dishonesty, just stupidity.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MrH

The Accord I take in to a dealership. S2000 I usually do myself.

My wife takes her to the Hyundai dealership.  They treat her really well there, so I'm good with it.  That's the only thing I like about her car: the service at the dealership is really good.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FoMoJo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 20, 2019, 07:30:46 AM
I'll just say that I worked at a Walmart Tirenloob for a few months, and I quit because they were so incompetent. The number of new engines they had to buy for screw ups just had to kill any profits. There was no dishonesty, just stupidity.
My reason for avoiding quick lube places was that too many drain plugs got stripped.  It doesn't need to be tightened with something equivalent to a breaker bar. :nutty:

Living in a small town, I found a local mechanic who I could trust.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: FoMoJo on February 20, 2019, 07:39:36 AM
My reason for avoiding quick lube places was that too many drain plugs got stripped.  It doesn't need to be tightened with something equivalent to a breaker bar. :nutty:

Living in a small town, I found a local mechanic who I could trust.

Don't get me started on the wheel studs and lug nuts. All yoi have to do is start the threads by hand, and use the right size socket.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Check your premise. It is immoral for a business not to try to maximize return off every customer. If your wife fell for it, that's her fault; she needs to educate herself or do the work herself. That is how the market works. A business exists to make a profit—that is the most moral and logical end to any existence as profit is the only morality—and your wife and other customers like her exist to feed businesses what they need. Simple. It's your wife's fault for not knowing better.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

I don't actually disagree with that.  I tell my wife don't agree to any charge outside of the oil change.  If she's confused, she just calls me :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Galaxy

A german auto mag does periodic tests of dealerships with prepped cars. It is not that unusual to find dealerships charging for something like windshield wiper fluid, even though the cars gets sent in with tanks filled to the brim.

BimmerM3

Quote from: MrH on February 20, 2019, 08:26:31 AM
I don't actually disagree with that.  I tell my wife don't agree to any charge outside of the oil change.  If she's confused, she just calls me :huh:

Being an intelligent consumer and holding businesses to reasonable moral standards are not mutually exclusive.

If you really believe that business are morally obligated to attempt to fuck over unsuspecting customers, then you're what's wrong with this country and much of the world.

FoMoJo

Quote from: MrH on February 20, 2019, 08:26:31 AM
Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 20, 2019, 09:45:05 AM
Being an intelligent consumer and holding businesses to reasonable moral standards are not mutually exclusive.

If you really believe that business are morally obligated to attempt to fuck over unsuspecting customers, then you're what's wrong with this country and much of the world.
Although businesses are required to make money, too many have forgotten that integrity is/was an important aspect of capitalist ventures.  Too much greed has infiltrated the system over the past few decades.

CaminoRacer

Yeah, free market doesn't mean free from morality or ethics.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Well, it does; but it doesn't mean free from consequences.

Being caught trying to steal from customers is bad for business. People will freely choose not to patronize a business with a reputation of ripping customers off.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 20, 2019, 09:55:53 AM
Well, it does; but it doesn't mean free from consequences.

Being caught trying to steal from customers is bad for business. People will freely choose not to patronize a business with a reputation of ripping customers off.

Many bad shops manage to stay in business due to lack of information on the consumer's end. The BBB is an attempt to solve that, but not very good.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Speed_Racer

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 20, 2019, 09:58:20 AM
Many bad shops manage to stay in business due to lack of information on the consumer's end. The BBB is an attempt to solve that, but not very good.

More recently, the internet has helped shift power to the consumer for better or worse. Yelp, Google reviews, twitter. Consumer problems/issues that companies could in the past brush under the rug are now easy to bring to public knowledge.