Today's Shoot: Lexus LFA Nürburgring Edition

Started by cawimmer430, February 26, 2019, 11:05:08 AM

cawimmer430

Long story short, this is a Citroën-Toyota/Lexus business that went bankrupt. All of their cars are being auctioned off.

I was hired to take good photos of only the LFAs - the dealership had five of these things, four regular ones and one Nürburgring Edition that was signed by Akio Toyoda himself (in Japanese). This is one out of only fifty made. The cars were opened for me so I could also take interior photos with lighting etc., but they couldn't be started. In case of the LFA Nürburgring Edition it wouldn't start (possible dead battery).

Some snapshots of the highlight shoot with the LFA Nürburgring Edition. I also sat inside it, and the driver's seat was pretty much pushed back all the way - this thing is cramped (I am 6'4"). Outward vision is awful, so this thing is difficult to drive in a busy [European] city environment with a lot of asshole cyclists etc. Cool car, though. I wish they could have started that V10.

These four LFAs were simply [snap]shot using a polarizer-rotation (and later blend-in-Photoshop) style, nothing special in terms of photography.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

God damn, I love this car.  Its so in your face and apologetically Japanese, plus it sounds fantastic.

BimmerM3

I wonder if the fact that they ordered five copies of a $400k+ vehicle that they couldn't sell has anything to do with why they went bankrupt. :hmm:

RomanChariot

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 26, 2019, 11:05:08 AM
Long story short, this is a Citroën-Toyota/Lexus business that went bankrupt. All of their cars are being auctioned off.

I was hired to take good photos of only the LFAs - the dealership had five of these things, four regular ones and one Nürburgring Edition that was signed by Akio Toyoda himself (in Japanese). This is one out of only fifty made. The cars were opened for me so I could also take interior photos with lighting etc., but they couldn't be started. In case of the LFA Nürburgring Edition it wouldn't start (possible dead battery).

Some snapshots of the highlight shoot with the LFA Nürburgring Edition. I also sat inside it, and the driver's seat was pretty much pushed back all the way - this thing is cramped (I am 6'4"). Outward vision is awful, so this thing is difficult to drive in a busy [European] city environment with a lot of asshole cyclists etc. Cool car, though. I wish they could have started that V10.

I know you got excited looking at that engine but you should have cleaned off the engine cover before you took the picture.  :devil:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on February 26, 2019, 11:07:46 AM
God damn, I love this car.  Its so in your face and apologetically Japanese, plus it sounds fantastic.

Personally I'm not a fan of the design, but it's definitely a looker and attention-grabber.  :ohyeah:

Also, funny story. I was told I had to photograph five Lexus sports cars. I assumed it was the RC or LC. When I arrived and saw these LFAs I didn't realize they were LFAs; I thought they were LCs! :lol:

Only after a few minutes, and only after someone told me that they have V10s, did it occur to me, "Oh f*ck, this is the LFA!!!" Goes to show how much I know about Lexus.  :lol:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: BimmerM3 on February 26, 2019, 11:09:06 AM
I wonder if the fact that they ordered five copies of a $400k+ vehicle that they couldn't sell has anything to do with why they went bankrupt. :hmm:

I was wondering that myself. I don't know why they went bankrupt, and I didn't want to ask. There were some employees around and the last thing you want to do is ask them why their employer messed up and remind them that they will soon be out of a job.  :frown:

Supposedly the four regular LFAs are getting auctioned off starting at 230,000 Euros. The LFA Nürburging Edition is "only" starting at 250,000 Euros, so I was told. And keep in mind the latter has an original signature from Mr. Akio Toyoda himself! I would think that counts for something!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: RomanChariot on February 26, 2019, 11:25:22 AM
I know you got excited looking at that engine but you should have cleaned off the engine cover before you took the picture.  :devil:

Believe me, that's standard operating procedure. And the shots I posted in here are unedited smartphone snapshots.  :ohyeah:

Also, the steering wheel is not straight - but the car wouldn't start so we couldn't change it. The engine and cockpit photos I took with my camera and lighting gear are nothing special. But the exterior shots... wait until I am done editing them!  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

MrH

This car will forever be special to me. I was at the Nurburgring the weekend it debuted in race car form. I woke up to the sound of it doing test labs. Probably the best sounding car ever.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

$400K tho..................................

That V10 is special. But the LC might have more presence. Maybe they can bring back the V10.... at a $200K discount :lol:
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

Wowowow...the LFA looks so good and I've never seen one of them, let alone five in one place. That's awesome. I'm jealous.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.