Weekend with a poverty spec 2017 BMW 116i F20 (Pics & Review)

Started by cawimmer430, April 12, 2019, 10:59:24 AM

cawimmer430

A car magazine dropped off a facelifted 2017 BMW 116i F20 6-speed manual at my place. I will be taking shots for a "Buyer's Guide" to the F20 1-Series. I was hoping that this 1er had the B18B15 3-cylinder turbo engine, which I wanted to experience. Instead it has a conventional 4-cylinder turbo motor, the N13B16.

This is my first time behind the wheel of the current 1-Series, and the last Rear-Wheel-Drive 1er before the arrival of the FWD F52 models. As a former 1-Series' owner (E87 5-Door), I was eager to try the direct descendant, the F20, and my impressions aren't very good, especially in terms of driving feel.

But first some specs, which are as follows:

Engine: 1598cc 4-cylinder inline turbocharged gasoline
Power: 136-horsepower @ 4000-6000 RPM
Torque: 220 Nm @ 1250-4000 RPM
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Layout: Front Engine / Rear-Wheel-Drive
0-100 km/h: 8.5 seconds
Top Speed: 210 km/h

Essentially, the 116i F20 has similar performance to my ex-118i E87; in fact it's slightly quicker on paper. But to be honest, I prefer the way my old E87 drove compared to the current F20.

Quick impressions: interior is well-made but obviously of entry-level premium car quality. Nothing that will blow you away, but sufficiently pleasing in feel and appearance. Interior room for the front occupants is decent (my E87 felt roomier, though), rear seat space is awful and the trunk is decent.

Now, the first thing you notice when you drive this thing is the somewhat indirect steering feel. WHAT!? Yeah. What happened, BMW!? The steering feedback in my 118i was so damn good. In fact it was perfect. The perfect, absolutely perfect, balance between sport and everyday driving requirements. Precise feedback and a quick response when you wanted to drive sporty, but also capable of functioning for normal comfortable driving. In the F20 it's just very indirect. It's not vague or lifeless, but it feels so much less direct and responsive than what I was used to in my old E87 118i. Is this the famous electric steering which everyone has been complaining about in modern BMWs?

The engine is relatively smooth and also quiet (even at higher speeds). It's zippy in a city environment. On rural roads and on the Autobahn the motor does feel a little too relaxed. I wouldn't call it underpowered, it's just a lazy-revving and lazy-feeling engine. It's completely sufficient for everyday driving, but it doesn't feel or sound sporty at all. Maybe the transmission gearing also has a part to do with it. The turbo and torque surge are enjoyable, however, when you floor it.

Start-Stop is incredibly annoying. Thankfully it can be turned off. Why is it annoying? Mainly because of the way the engine shuts off. The engine switches off with a hefty shake in which you can literally feel all four pistons coming to a standstill - literally. It's just really annoying. Restarts are smoother. On the plus side, fuel economy was really good, even without the use of start-stop and often driving a little in higher RPM ranges. According to the trip readout, I was averaging 6.9 L / 100 km, which isn't bad at all.

There's some more bad news and it concerns the transmission. My experience with manual transmission BMWs is rare, but the 6-speed manual transmission isn't very precise. In fact I don't consider it to be fun to use. Clutch feedback is decent, but in combination with the imprecise and rubbery shift patterns and the rather lazy engine, the 116i F20 really doesn't stand out or impress or provide - at least to me - any sort of driving pleasure. In fact I'd argue with anyone that my old 118i E87, despite having a 6-speed AUTOMATIC transmission, drove so much better and was more fun to drive.

Handling was excellent. Yes, I know this sounds contradictory from what I've reported so far about the steering feedback. It boils down to this; despite the rather indirect steering feedback, you could actually feel that the car was well-balanced, both in terms of weight distribution and the way it confidently cornered. The steering feedback may not be what we're used to from BMW, but the suspension sure does make up for that in some ways. Incidentally, this car had a SPORT, COMFORT and ECO-PRO switch (no idea if this is standard or optional). I did not detect a change in suspension or steering response when I changed the mode from COMFORT to SPORT.

The maximum speed I drove on the Autobahn was a little over 160 km/h (100 mph), and as expected the car was well-planted and felt solid and safe. Engine noise in 6th gear was pleasantly low and not intrusive. While the car clearly can reach higher speeds, its lack of sporty feel convinced me to take it easy and just cruise  rather than attempt to push it to its limits.

Interior ergonomics are still good, a BMW hallmark, and the A/C and Infotainment controls are self-explanatory and easy to master, even if they were completely different in my ex-118i E87 (whose only infotainment system was a radio!). Radio reception and sound quality were excellent and good, respectively, and the system was easy to use and comprehend. I didn't play around with the navigation and other infotainment features.

The verdict? A surprisingly underwhelming driving experience if I am being honest. I wanted to like the 116i F20, but it just didn't feel very special. And neither did it feel very sporty as we'd expect from BMW.

Perhaps the more powerful models are more engaging and more fun. I definitely expect them to be. But to be completely honest, I feel that directly compared to my old 118i E87, a car from 2007 (!!!), the older car was sharper and simply more fun to drive (despite the automatic transmission).

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Someone is not going to like this...............

But my experience in an F30 328i was very similar. I also wasn't very impressed by the interior.

The F-chassis era was a step back for the brand.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

r0tor

I love bmws... Just can't get myself to love anything in the F generation
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

2o6

Sometimes I think y'all exaggerate a lot. I don't think the F chassis cars are anywhere near as bad as y'all say they are.

I think hyperbolic statement like this is what does in the internet, and IMO sporty cars as a whole.

r0tor

It not all that bad for an average driver.... sort of falls apart though once it's pushed and you understand what a good chassis should feel like
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

2o6

Compared to an older model? Maybe so.

Compared to the vast majority of cars on the market? That's a fallacy.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on April 12, 2019, 01:08:25 PM
Sometimes I think y'all exaggerate a lot. I don't think the F chassis cars are anywhere near as bad as y'all say they are.

As a standalone car, it drives pretty competently. No argument from me there.  ;)

But compared against its predecessor, the E87, which I owned for eleven years, it just felt less capable and less fun. The rather indirect steering feedback was the biggest culprit for me. Its suspension was similar to my old 118i but felt a tad softer (even in SPORT mode I could detect no difference). I actually think this 116i would be a more interesting drive with the 8-speed automatic, as the 6-speed was so rubbery.

It's not a bad car, but when you drove its predecessor for over ten years you kinda notice how soft the current model is.  ;)

I am sure that the higher end models like the 135i etc. are probably an improvement over the 1st generation 1er sports models.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 12, 2019, 02:24:54 PM
Its suspension was similar to my old 118i but felt a tad softer (even in SPORT mode I could detect no difference).

If it was a "poverty spec" model, I doubt it had adjustable dampers.  Sport mode probably just changed the accelerator mapping so the car felt more responsive, increased steering effort (because harder steering is sportier!), altered the amount of slip and slide before the ESP/TCS step in, and increased the volume of the fake engine noise coming through the speakers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 12, 2019, 02:24:54 PM
But compared against its predecessor, the E87, which I owned for eleven years, it just felt less capable and less fun. The rather indirect steering feedback was the biggest culprit for me. Its suspension was similar to my old 118i but felt a tad softer (even in SPORT mode I could detect no difference). I actually think this 116i would be a more interesting drive with the 8-speed automatic, as the 6-speed was so rubbery.
Maybe it has a twist beam? :huh: :hmm:.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

MexicoCityM3

Weird that your 116i is a 4 pot. We get (got until very recently) the F30 318i here and that car has the 3 cylinder.

Regarding your comments about the transmission, I think it is true of most BMW manuals that they can feel rubbery and long-throwish at normal speeds. They come into their own when driven very hard however in my experience.

As to all the comments about F chassis compared to E chassis 3 & 1 series yeah I think it's overblown. But I'd agree that the newer cars are a small step down in dynamics. Also, they are more dependent on spec than ever. E46s all drove well. E90s most drove well. F30s only drive well when properly specced. That's a bit unfortunate but if you know what to get you can still get a very good driving BMW.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on April 12, 2019, 03:06:00 PM
If it was a "poverty spec" model, I doubt it had adjustable dampers.  Sport mode probably just changed the accelerator mapping so the car felt more responsive, increased steering effort (because harder steering is sportier!), altered the amount of slip and slide before the ESP/TCS step in, and increased the volume of the fake engine noise coming through the speakers.

I think you have an excellent point there. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 12, 2019, 04:00:06 PM
Maybe it has a twist beam? :huh: :hmm:.

No idea.

It does not drive bad, but I have a direct frame of reference to the predecessor model and I find the older model to be more satisfying to drive in every way possible, even with an automatic transmission. ;)

Drove the car again today and this further reinforced my opinion: the E87 > F20.  :mrcool:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 12, 2019, 05:11:32 PM
Weird that your 116i is a 4 pot. We get (got until very recently) the F30 318i here and that car has the 3 cylinder.

Regarding your comments about the transmission, I think it is true of most BMW manuals that they can feel rubbery and long-throwish at normal speeds. They come into their own when driven very hard however in my experience.

As to all the comments about F chassis compared to E chassis 3 & 1 series yeah I think it's overblown. But I'd agree that the newer cars are a small step down in dynamics. Also, they are more dependent on spec than ever. E46s all drove well. E90s most drove well. F30s only drive well when properly specced. That's a bit unfortunate but if you know what to get you can still get a very good driving BMW.

I wonder if the 3-cylinder is more lively and peppy than the 4-cylinder. I drove the 116i again today and it's rather relaxed and "slow" on the Autobahn. My 118i with the 6-speed automatic and 143-horsepower (non-turbo) felt more lively and quicker.

Again, I suspect that the top-end-models like the 125i or 135i and M2 are better than their older E87 counterparts.  :cheers:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

shp4man

Wimmer, saw an ad today on American TV about young people asking Mercedes to do things they want. I'm thinking MB wants a piece of the millennial car buyers cash.
Kind of fits with the Sprinter van thing.
They want to become a mainstream manufacturer as apposed to a luxury brand. How do you feel about that?   

12,000 RPM

I know you asked Wimmer, but I think it's a mistake for MB to push downmarket in the US

It's like the old lock and key analogy... who wants a lock that will open for any key? Exclusivity still matters. MB is selling Chinese clone grade versions of its own cars.

cawimmer430

Quote from: shp4man on April 14, 2019, 11:39:12 AM
Wimmer, saw an ad today on American TV about young people asking Mercedes to do things they want. I'm thinking MB wants a piece of the millennial car buyers cash.
Kind of fits with the Sprinter van thing.
They want to become a mainstream manufacturer as apposed to a luxury brand. How do you feel about that?   

I think this the natural progression of luxury brands in this day and age. Because how do you survive in a market in which the next generation of buyers are becoming more and more less enthusiastic about cars in general, and don't view the automobile as a status symbol anymore? You are forced to evolve your products and your branding. Mercedes-Benz may as well produce smartphones or some kind of iPad-thingy given the disinterest in cars from the Snowflake Generation.

In regards to going "downmarket", it's nothing new when you think about it. The brand has always evolved their products to resonate with the "Zeitgeist" of a specific period. The W201 "190-Series Baby Benz" of the 1980s, the funky 1st generation A-Class of the mid-1990s, the all-out younger buyer assault with the CLA, GLA etc. in the 2010s.

Personally, I have no issue with the brand going downmarket and offering entry-level premium cars, which may be considered "mainstream" by some. As long as they offer a high degree of technological superiority, performance and features that set them apart from your typical mainstream cars (which have made life difficult for all luxury brands by moving upmarket), then all is good.

So with the appearance of the new technologically advanced and impressive "downmarket" cars from the brand - the W177 A-Class, the new X118 CLA-Class and the new W247 B-Class - consumers now have a choice of "downmarket" (I prefer to call them entry-level premium cars) vehicles that are loaded with the latest technology and innovation. That, and other typical Mercedes' core qualities present a solid argument as to why one could consider buying one.

Just some thoughts. ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Xer0

Let this be a lesson; if you want a nice car, don't be poor.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on April 14, 2019, 11:31:53 PM
Let this be a lesson; if you want a nice car, don't be poor.

Ironically I think the car would drive better with the 8-speed automatic. The 6-speed manual is rubbery as hell and not ideal for speed-shifting. The motor is zippy in the city, somewhat lazy on the Autobahn but I have a hunch it would work better with the A/T.

In terms of options I don't really miss anything. It has heated seats, a decent infotainment system and its 360-degree visibility outward is excellent, so you don't really need a 360-degree parking camera. If I were to get this car I'd spec it with an 8-speed automatic, some nicer wheels and trim level and that would be it.

I'd still take the old E87 1er over the F20. My ex-118i was a simple car but man, it drove so good. Perfectly balanced steering, suspension, weight balance and a responsive N/A engine. It was a joy to drive, more fun than the F20.

One thing that really astonishes me is that Start-Stop, which is turned on by default, already turns off the engine shortly after start-up - when the engine and oil have not yet warmed up! What the...!? On my A250, Start-Stop (which I never really use but one time forgot to turn off) will only take effect after the engine AND oil have reached their optimal temperature. I don't like Start-Stop, which I view as a problem for engine durability.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

12,000 RPM

I'm surprised they can offer the ZF8 in something so cheap. Must be decontented and downspecced to all hell

cawimmer430

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on April 15, 2019, 04:56:47 AM
I'm surprised they can offer the ZF8 in something so cheap. Must be decontented and downspecced to all hell

Most F20s I see parked on the road have an A/T. Purely from observation, about 6 out of 10 F20s have an A/T.

www.wimmerfotografie.de