The last Beetle.

Started by shp4man, July 10, 2019, 08:10:06 AM

shp4man

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/vw-beetle-production-halted-vw-beetle-goes-extinct-as-last-one-rolls-off-assembly-line-in-mexico/

The real Beetle production ended in 2003, this was the last "new" Beetle.
The original air cooled version was a great little car, I've owned six of them. They are at heart, a 1930's car and not really compatible with today's traffic insanity.
Maybe I'll  build/restore just one more one of these days.  ;)

FoMoJo

I've always respected the general intent of them, but I never really liked them.  A friend had one and always insisted that I drive whenever a group of us were commuting.  Painful acceleration and horrible sound.  Maybe it was having four large people crammed into it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

Two years ago I had a shoot with this 1962 Volkswagen 1200 Export Model 63. What a lovely car. I got to ride in it. Up front it was very roomy, the seats were soft and comfortable (not supportive) and the engine, which made under 40-horsepower, felt pretty lively with two occupants (me and the owner) inside - in a hilly type of terrain.

Everywhere we drove, people kept coming up to us to take snapshots of the car. It's a crowd pleaser.  :praise:

FULL ALBUM: https://www.facebook.com/pg/wimmerfotografie/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2003808772972068
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

veeman

I liked my former 2013 VW Beetle. Great room in the front passenger compartment because of its domed roof.  Plenty of room in the back for kids.  Hatchback functionality of the trunk.  Loved the frameless windows and interior styling. The Golf is clearly better as a family car but as a single person commuter car, it's great. Problem is it's an economy car but priced a bit higher and the "new beetle" styling was a bit too feminine.  The later styling change fixed this and it looked great but it was too late. 

shp4man

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 10, 2019, 12:22:33 PM
Two years ago I had a shoot with this 1962 Volkswagen 1200 Export Model 63. What a lovely car. I got to ride in it. Up front it was very roomy, the seats were soft and comfortable (not supportive) and the engine, which made under 40-horsepower, felt pretty lively with two occupants (me and the owner) inside - in a hilly type of terrain.

Everywhere we drove, people kept coming up to us to take snapshots of the car. It's a crowd pleaser.  :praise:

FULL ALBUM: https://www.facebook.com/pg/wimmerfotografie/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2003808772972068

Nice shots, Wimmer.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie