***Shot and "drove" a Tesla Model 3 today...***

Started by cawimmer430, July 12, 2019, 02:01:52 PM

cawimmer430

Shot some details on this car today, and shooting all the details and the whole car tomorrow. The client gave me a quick tour on how to operate the car, took me for a demonstration drive in the parking garage and then handed the Tesla card to me and let me do my job.

My "driving" was limited to repositioning the car and speeding from sector to sector on the long straightaways in this gigantic parking garage. For what it's worth, the steering feel is pretty good; direct and responsive. The suspension seems to be very stiff, but I couldn't really tell if it was comfort or sports biased due to the environment I was "driving" in.

The acceleration is brutal, very fast and obviously quiet. The silence is unnerving. Later when I drove home I really pushed my car and enjoyed the sound of the internal combustion engine.

Not a fan of the overall design of the car. The front is nice, side and rear are ok. Interior is interesting. I like the minimalism cabin design, I just wish the speedometer was in front of me, not to my right. Interior materials looked nice, but felt a little cheap. The seats were very comfortable, but the leather (or fake leather) felt really weird; not sure how to describe it.

Overall, it did feel nicer to drive than the electric Hyundai Kona I got to test a few weeks ago. It's definitely a fun car and I really enjoyed giving it small bursts of speed - really quick acceleration.

Some snapshots I took of the car before I took detailed photos with my DSLR.

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

The interior does look rather spartan.  Otherwise, exterior is not a bad shape.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Galaxy

Is that a small Champagne bottle in the Tesla? :lol:

Where does one find a clean, empty parking garage. It must cost a fortune to pay people to leave their spots.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Galaxy on July 12, 2019, 02:35:46 PM

Where does one find a clean, empty parking garage. It must cost a fortune to pay people to leave their spots.

Detroit? You just have to pay off the crack heads and clean it up.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

93JC

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 12, 2019, 03:22:43 PM
Where's the shift lever?

It's the small stalk on the steering column; basically works the same as Mercedes-Benz's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHC8TfXtHlg

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on July 12, 2019, 03:30:21 PM
It's the small stalk on the steering column; basically works the same as Mercedes-Benz's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHC8TfXtHlg

I think it's the same part

FoMoJo

That is one huge screen.  I would think that it would be a distraction.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 12, 2019, 02:28:37 PM
The interior does look rather spartan.  Otherwise, exterior is not a bad shape.

I like the minimalist design philosophy here. It somehow suits the car and reinforces that "green" image: no unnecessary extras which require resources to produce.

However, I am not a fan of a central display in which the speed is shown. I want that information in front of my face. ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on July 12, 2019, 02:35:46 PM

Yes, it's part of the business' branding, a kind of Wiedererkennungswert. ;)

This parking garage is fairly new and located in a luxury business-apartment complex along the Leopoldstraße in Munich.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 12, 2019, 03:22:43 PM
Where's the shift lever?

To the right of the steering wheel column. It only has R-P-D (in that order) and some kind of cruise control setting below "D".

www.wimmerfotografie.de

afty

cawimmer430

Shot outdoor photos of and extensively drove the Tesla Model 3 again today.

Some more thoughts on the Tesla Model 3.

It's fun to drive. There is something about the instant, smooth and quiet power delivery. The more you drive it, the quicker you adjust to the silence.

I played around with the screen and it's amazing what features are available here: Internet browser, various computer games (yes, computer games!!!) and for those of you who are into romance, you could set the center screen to show a fire burning in a classic fireplace (with wood burning sound effects!) and suddenly romantic music comes on - Wham! - Never Gonna Dance Again with that legendary and instantly recognizable saxophone solo. It's so useless and brilliant at the same time.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

One thing that really bothered me was the plain-Jane steering wheel ergonomics. Maybe I am spoiled by the AMG-steering wheel in my A250, but that AMG steering wheel feels so good in my hands. The ergonomics and grip are excellent. On the Model 3, the steering wheel has none of that, and I found it a tad slippery. I thought the Model 3 drove really sporty, and the suspension is both capable and comfy. Just needs a sportier steering wheel IMO.

Some snapshots of the AMG steering wheel in my A250 with the lovely grip ergonomics (and feel) to show you what I mean.

Oh, and a snapshot of the lovely G500 which was photographed today.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on July 12, 2019, 06:24:47 PM
That looks just like mine. :D

Nice car and wheels! Are those after-market or from Tesla?  :ohyeah:

Next weekend this business I am shooting for will get a Tesla Model 3 Performance - I look forward to that thing.  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on July 12, 2019, 03:46:49 PM

I think it’s the same part

Functions pretty much the same, but the parts are clearly not the same.

afty

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 13, 2019, 10:30:19 AM

Nice car and wheels! Are those after-market or from Tesla?  :ohyeah:

Next weekend this business I am shooting for will get a Tesla Model 3 Performance - I look forward to that thing.  :rockon:
Thanks!  Wheels are the stock 18"with the aero hubcaps removed.  Surprisingly there are some nice looking wheels underneath.  Here's how they look with the hubcaps on:

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on July 13, 2019, 12:13:24 PM
Functions pretty much the same, but the parts are clearly not the same.

Looks like they changed it for the Model 3; the S and X have (had) MB gear selectors since introduction.

cawimmer430

Quote from: afty on July 13, 2019, 05:36:02 PM
Thanks!  Wheels are the stock 18"with the aero hubcaps removed.  Surprisingly there are some nice looking wheels underneath.  Here's how they look with the hubcaps on:

:ohyeah:

Can't wait to try the Model 3 Performance next weekend.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 13, 2019, 10:27:41 AM
Shot outdoor photos of and extensively drove the Tesla Model 3 again today.

Some more thoughts on the Tesla Model 3.

It's fun to drive. There is something about the instant, smooth and quiet power delivery. The more you drive it, the quicker you adjust to the silence.

I played around with the screen and it's amazing what features are available here: Internet browser, various computer games (yes, computer games!!!) and for those of you who are into romance, you could set the center screen to show a fire burning in a classic fireplace (with wood burning sound effects!) and suddenly romantic music comes on - Wham! - Never Gonna Dance Again with that legendary and instantly recognizable saxophone solo. It's so useless and brilliant at the same time.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

One thing that really bothered me was the plain-Jane steering wheel ergonomics. Maybe I am spoiled by the AMG-steering wheel in my A250, but that AMG steering wheel feels so good in my hands. The ergonomics and grip are excellent. On the Model 3, the steering wheel has none of that, and I found it a tad slippery. I thought the Model 3 drove really sporty, and the suspension is both capable and comfy. Just needs a sportier steering wheel IMO.

Some snapshots of the AMG steering wheel in my A250 with the lovely grip ergonomics (and feel) to show you what I mean.

Sounds like you're getting hooked on electric. :lol:

veeman

When you said hubcaps I thought it strange that a Tesla would come standard with hubcaps which I think of usually as a cheap econocar thing in modern cars.  By googling, the hubcaps were specifically designed to increase efficiency/range.  That's cool.

cawimmer430

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 14, 2019, 10:29:14 AM
Sounds like you're getting hooked on electric. :lol:

The performance/acceleration is indeed fun and spectacular.

A small electric car would be great for the city. Some of my projects take place nearby so taking my ICE-powered car means the engine/oil won't warm up, and I have a particulate filter which needs extreme heat to regenerate. This is why for projects in the area I always drive around a bit beforehand and add the acquired mileage as a business expense.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

afty

Quote from: veeman on July 14, 2019, 10:30:33 AM
When you said hubcaps I thought it strange that a Tesla would come standard with hubcaps which I think of usually as a cheap econocar thing in modern cars.  By googling, the hubcaps were specifically designed to increase efficiency/range.  That's cool.
Yeah, it's pretty neat.  I usually keep mine off because the hubcaps look terrible, but I put them back on for long trips when I need maximum range.

giant_mtb

Yeah, they're like those aero-efficient wheels that some Priuses have.

Eye of the Tiger

Hmm ... look at those wheel covers. It must be an electric car!

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: veeman on July 14, 2019, 10:30:33 AM

Formula 1 used hubcaps in the mid to late 2000s to reduce drag. They were banned because the big teams were spending millions of dollars to turn them into downforce generating devices.