My Z3

Started by SJ_GTI, July 25, 2019, 07:10:04 AM

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 22, 2021, 07:18:55 AM
Bump...

Got a good reminder that the anniversery is up because I had to take it through inspection.  :lol:

Everything is good. No issues in 2 years of ownership and it went through NJ inspection with no issues. Super happy with the car and hoping to keep it the rest of my life.  :ohyeah:

:rockon:  :thumbsup:

Saw one in the parking lot 35min ago, love them!
Will

SJ_GTI

As an aside, as of lunchtime the odometer was up to 27,381, so running at about 1500 miles a year so far.

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 22, 2021, 01:04:24 PM
As an aside, as of lunchtime the odometer was up to 27,381, so running at about 1500 miles a year so far.

:wtf:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on July 23, 2021, 07:10:54 AM
:wtf:

:huh:

I live close to work, so I don't put that many miles on my car. I think I've put about ~4000 miles on my Golf in the last year. It will be five years old next week and I am a bit under 25,000 miles total.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 23, 2021, 07:46:37 AM

I live close to work, so I don't put that many miles on my car. I think I've put about ~4000 miles on my Golf in the last year. It will be five years old next week and I am a bit under 25,000 miles total.
Time for some track time in the Z3.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: FoMoJo on July 23, 2021, 09:40:14 AM
Time for some track time in the Z3.

Or at least weekend drives!!
Will

MrH

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 23, 2021, 07:46:37 AM

Wow, wild.  You barely drive.  You should just get a golf cart to roam around in :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MrH on July 26, 2021, 07:27:13 AM
Wow, wild.  You barely drive.  You should just get a golf cart to roam around in :lol:

Apart from that the short work commute, my family also lives really close. They are about ~7 miles away (opposite direction from work) and, currently, both my younger brothers, my dad, and my mom all live within walking distance to each other in the same neighborhood. So even when I go to visit family I usually just park at one house and then walk over to the others to say hi.  :lol:

Speaking of gold carts, that seems to be a bit of a trend with families in my neighborhood. I see groups of kids riding around all the time. I presume they are going between each others' houses. The nearest golf course is about a mile away as the crow flies, but you would have to drive ~3-4 miles to get there (no direct path).

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 26, 2021, 07:39:57 AM
Apart from that the short work commute, my family also lives really close. They are about ~7 miles away (opposite direction from work) and, currently, both my younger brothers, my dad, and my mom all live within walking distance to each other in the same neighborhood. So even when I go to visit family I usually just park at one house and then walk over to the others to say hi.  :lol:

Speaking of gold carts, that seems to be a bit of a trend with families in my neighborhood. I see groups of kids riding around all the time. I presume they are going between each others' houses. The nearest golf course is about a mile away as the crow flies, but you would have to drive ~3-4 miles to get there (no direct path).

Golf carts have always been big in the south- and the kids that can't drive yet are often the biggest users.
Will

JWC

My town was under a lot of pressure to allow golf carts on the streets....and finally passed a ordinance allowing them as long as they had headlamps, wipers, and a rear utility reflector. This happened after the police stopped my old boss (owner of the business) at the Ford dealership was pulled over several times while driving his Th!nk Neighbor in town.

You still need a driver's license.

SJ_GTI

Bump...

Still have the Z3, still running about ~1500 miles per year. It is just under 29k right now. It should break the 30k mark sometime next year.

Haven't had any mechanical issues in the last year and it is still fun to drive. Sometimes I'll decide to "run errands" on a nice weekend day just as an excuse to drive it around.

MrH

1,500 miles a year?!?
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

CALL_911

Honestly I probably put less than that on my S2000

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Eye of the Tiger

I put more miles than that on my tool cart.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 05, 2022, 05:40:30 AM
I put more miles than that on my tool cart.

You need to motorize that bich.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Little bit of an update. A couple weeks ago my Z3 wouldn't start, battery was dead. I tried jump starting it last week when it got warm out but it still couldn't start (even though the accessories would then at least be powered). I thought maybe it was something worse than just a dead battery. Anyway I had it towed to a mechanic but it did indeed just turn out to be a dead battery that just couldn't hold any charge. So kind of irritating but at least it wasn't expensive. This is actually the first (sort of) mechanical issue I've had with the car since initial purchase and getting it prepped so pretty happy about how it has gone so far. Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.

AutobahnSHO

Glad that was easy!
Will

r0tor

I've had tons of issues trying to keep a healthy battery in my not very often used Mazda.  On my third different manufacturer battery charger
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 11, 2023, 06:00:25 AM
I've had tons of issues trying to keep a healthy battery in my not very often used Mazda.  On my third different manufacturer battery charger

Optima Yellowtop.

r0tor

That's probably my next try... Been trying to keep Optima Red top alive with trickle charging with rather poor amounts of success
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 11, 2023, 08:54:06 AM
That's probably my next try... Been trying to keep Optima Red top alive with trickle charging with rather poor amounts of success

An expensive try, but perhaps cheaper than continuing to buy different trickle chargers...sorta surprised that hasn't worked, though. :hmm:

CaminoRacer

My Optima red top + Optima trickle charger has worked great in the El Camino, but I'm guessing the battery drain is a lot higher on a newer Mazda with more electronics, plus wankels are harder to start from what I've heard.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

SJ_GTI

So for these trickle chargers, at what point is it worth it to have one? In the Spring/Summer/Fall I am driving my BMW 1-2 times a week (sometimes more). In the winter is when it can sit for weeks at a time though. I'll only take it out if it is over 45F since it has summer tires. In a mild winter it will still get driven pretty often.

CaminoRacer

If you don't notice any slow cranking, it's fine.

The El Camino has a mechanical fuel pump so it can take a few cranks just to get fuel into the carb after it's sat dry for a couple of months. So it's nice to have the battery at 100% then.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

giant_mtb

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. If it starts fine when you drive it, the battery's fine. No charger needed.

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 11, 2023, 09:34:50 AM
So for these trickle chargers, at what point is it worth it to have one? In the Spring/Summer/Fall I am driving my BMW 1-2 times a week (sometimes more). In the winter is when it can sit for weeks at a time though. I'll only take it out if it is over 45F since it has summer tires. In a mild winter it will still get driven pretty often.

I thought that keeping the voltage good will increase the lifespan of the onboard computers... But I just seem to kill the battery every couple years doing it

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

giant_mtb

Quote from: r0tor on April 11, 2023, 10:50:38 AM
I thought that keeping the voltage good will increase the lifespan of the onboard computers... But I just seem to kill the battery every couple years doing it

Could always just make a habit of starting it and letting it run every week or two for 15-20 minutes.

SJ_GTI

Took my Z3 through inspection yesterday, so it was a reminder that I have had the car for another year. SO far 4 years is no major issues. The dead battery earlier this year has been the only issue since getting it initially checked out.

Car still drives great. Love the power delivery from the I6. Even though it is slower than my Golf I prefer the linear power delivery. The engine is so smooth. It feels just as comfortable at 6k RPM's as it does at 2k RPM's. I love the way it sounds at high revs so I am running it up to red line pretty often when I do drive it.

That being said, living so close to work and having two cars means I don't put a lot of miles on either car. The Z3 is at 29304 miles as of this morning.