Bolt!

Started by CaminoRacer, August 10, 2019, 05:39:57 AM

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on August 02, 2021, 11:57:14 AM
They're buying back my brother's Bolt at full MSRP. He gets to keep the tax credit, of course. His three years and 80,000 miles of driving were free.
Is this because of the Bolt's asslpodin' battery thing?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: Morris Minor on August 02, 2021, 01:06:02 PM
Is this because of the Bolt's asslpodin' battery thing?

Yep.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

NomisR

They're buying back my brother's Bolt at full MSRP. He gets to keep the tax credit, of course. His three years and 80,000 miles of driving were free.

I haven't gotten anything, but then again, my car's a lease..2 more months to go. 

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on August 02, 2021, 04:59:06 PM
I haven't gotten anything, but then again, my car's a lease..2 more months to go. 

He had to ask the dealer to get the ball rolling.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

LOL This is awesome
Will

CaminoRacer

https://electrek.co/2021/08/16/exclusive-gm-to-replace-all-battery-modules-in-some-bolts-to-avoid-chevy-bolt-fires/

New batteries!!!

But it looks like early 2019 models are the priority, so our 2017 probably won't get a replacement any time soon. All the batteries that are replaced will be sent to GM/LG and they'll continue to look for a way to detect the issue at dealerships, to try to avoid replacing all of the batteries. So it's possible that they will be able to detect the issue before mine gets automatically replaced. We shall see. Our car has like 8% degradation after 92k miles (so full charge might show 215-220 miles instead of 236) which is pretty acceptable IMO.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

mzziaz

Quote from: CaminoRacer on August 16, 2021, 08:54:34 PM
https://electrek.co/2021/08/16/exclusive-gm-to-replace-all-battery-modules-in-some-bolts-to-avoid-chevy-bolt-fires/

New batteries!!!

But it looks like early 2019 models are the priority, so our 2017 probably won't get a replacement any time soon. All the batteries that are replaced will be sent to GM/LG and they'll continue to look for a way to detect the issue at dealerships, to try to avoid replacing all of the batteries. So it's possible that they will be able to detect the issue before mine gets automatically replaced. We shall see. Our car has like 8% degradation after 92k miles (so full charge might show 215-220 miles instead of 236) which is pretty acceptable IMO.

We are getting new batteries as well on the Opel Ampera-E. New batteries will even be 8% larger than the original and come with full warranty, so we are pretty pleased. We've driven it 137k kms
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

ALL Bolts have now been recalled, including 2020-2022 models. Not sure which batteries they will be using to replace the old ones now... Originally we all thought they'd just use 2022 Bolt batteries for the 2017-2019 recalled ones.

MrH

Interesting.  There were 3 Bolts out front of the local Chevy dealership that were gone by Saturday.  I thought maybe they had a fire sale (get it?! ba dum cha!) and sold all 3.  I'm guessing they just pulled them instead
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CaminoRacer

They should be on a stop sale order at Chevy dealerships again. Unless they sold them right before the latest stop sale.

I got my recall/battery replacement letter in the mail from GM, but it's the "we'll let you know when we have the parts available" letter. Higher priority VINs got a different letter.

CaminoRacer

Renamed the thread, because it is no longer "new car time", I've had this car for 2 years.

The car has had a rattle for over a year. It has been coming from the front suspension or steering column area when driving over bumps. Kind of unsettling to have your steering components rattle, makes you worry that a wheel will fall off or something. I've searched on the Bolt forums a few times, and one time I saw someone say that the steering column bolts behind the brake pedal can be the culprit. I checked them a couple of months ago and they weren't loose. But neither were the tie rods or ball joints, and the CV axles don't have torn boots or anything.

Yesterday I did a test, and just wiggled the steering wheel in the driveway and listening to the steering column. While the bolts weren't loose, apparently they weren't quite tight enough. I torqued them to 43 lb/ft and the noise went away.  :dance:

ChrisV

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/gm-says-chevrolet-bolt-ev-battery-production-resumes-2021-09-20/

QuoteWASHINGTON, Sept 20 (Reuters) - General Motors Co (GM.N) said on Monday that battery production has resumed for its recalled Chevrolet Bolt electric vehicle and that battery replacements will begin next month.

GM said battery supplier LG (003550.KS) battery plants in Holland and Hazel Park, Michigan, have resumed production and LG is adding capacity to provide more battery cells to GM.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

Where are they hiding a battery factory in Hazel Park? I can't even think of a place a decent sized factory might be.

edit; oh, its where the horse track used to be...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 20, 2021, 03:29:16 PM
Where are they hiding a battery factory in Hazel Park? I can't even think of a place a decent sized factory might be.

edit; oh, its where the horse track used to be...

I think it's just battery assembly in Michigan, the cells are still made in Korea from what I've seen

CaminoRacer

Supply chain is apparently struggling to keep Bolt cabin air filters in stock. Oh no! How will I stick to the maintenance schedule?!

Good news though - I called the local dealership and they have ordered a new battery for the recall. Might be a couple of months until it's delivered, but I'm in line. The car has 95k miles on it and the current battery has <10% degredation. A new battery will help this car last another like 150-200k miles easy. Plus range gets a boost to 259 miles, for free.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2021, 02:35:10 PM
Supply chain is apparently struggling to keep Bolt cabin air filters in stock. Oh no! How will I stick to the maintenance schedule?!

Good news though - I called the local dealership and they have ordered a new battery for the recall. Might be a couple of months until it's delivered, but I'm in line. The car has 95k miles on it and the current battery has <10% degredation. A new battery will help this car last another like 150-200k miles easy. Plus range gets a boost to 259 miles, for free.

We keep running out of oil filters at work. Supply chain needs grease.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 07, 2021, 02:41:58 PM
We keep running out of oil filters at work. Supply chain needs grease.

I bet all the ones for Bolts are out of stock.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2021, 02:47:38 PM
I bet all the ones for Bolts are out of stock.

Yeah, we can't even get the oil
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 07, 2021, 02:35:10 PM

Niiiiice!
Will

ChrisV

Bolt batteries are filling up the dealerships and cars are getting repaired at a very rapid rate.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Soup DeVille

Which is good and bad; Its good they're getting fixed.

Its bad there was never a point where one could have picked up a Bolt for pocket change.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

mzziaz

Nooooo! We were hoping we would drive the car well past 100k miles before any battery change
Cuore Sportivo

Soup DeVille

Quote from: mzziaz on December 22, 2021, 07:54:59 AM
Nooooo! We were hoping we would drive the car well past 100k miles before any battery change

Do you have one of the recalled batteries?

CaminoRacer

You could probably wait a few more months if you want. Just don't call the dealership until you want to.

My battery got delivered, so we have an appointment for Dec 28th to do the swap.

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 22, 2021, 08:51:24 AM
Do you have one of the recalled batteries?

Yes. We have a 2017 Opel Ampera-E
Cuore Sportivo

mzziaz

We haven't had any contact with the dealership, not even to collect the monthly compensations.
Cuore Sportivo

Morris Minor

Deep dive into the guts of Bolts for owners interested.

https://youtu.be/r37nqfnV9EU
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

NomisR

Quote from: mzziaz on December 22, 2021, 07:54:59 AM

I'd be worried about it catching on fire at home.

mzziaz

Quote from: NomisR on December 23, 2021, 10:58:50 AM
I'd be worried about it catching on fire at home.

The risk of a fire is pretty small. I don't think there has been a single fire yet in Norway. Also, the car is parked in a separate garage located well away from the house.
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

Quote from: mzziaz on December 23, 2021, 11:59:02 PM
The risk of a fire is pretty small. I don't think there has been a single fire yet in Norway. Also, the car is parked in a separate garage located well away from the house.

That's good.

I'm in a row of 6 townhouses, so the financial risk of a fire is big $$. I'm not worried about our car, but we'll get the battery replaced next week anyway.