Bolt!

Started by CaminoRacer, August 10, 2019, 05:39:57 AM

mzziaz

Yeah, that battery is both weird (small) and pricey. Had to replace ours earlier this year. It never recouperated properly after a pretty deep discharge last winter.
Cuore Sportivo

CaminoRacer

Dealership said it's $350, so I'll go with Advance Auto's for $250
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Rich

how does a discharged 12v prevent the car from starting? there's no starter/engine to turn over

Is there an alternator or how does the 12v get charged?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rich on October 07, 2022, 10:31:38 AM
how does a discharged 12v prevent the car from starting? there's no starter/engine to turn over

Everything but the motor still runs on a 12-volt system.
Ask me why they can't make an integrated step-down voltage regulator that can jump the 12v system off the high voltage batteries, and I will tell you I don't have a clue.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2022, 11:07:27 AM
Ask me why they can't make an integrated step-down voltage regulator that can jump the 12v system off the high voltage batteries, and I will tell you I don't have a clue.

On boats, it's considered better to have a lead battery in addition to a lithium bank. Lead acids can absorb electronics-frying dump loads on BMS shutoff while DC charging. And if you're going to flatten _a_ battery (which destroys lead acid and lithium alike), lead acids are the ones you want to kill. Dunno how much of that applies to EVs though. Certainly weight is less of an issue on boats than it is on cars.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on October 07, 2022, 11:17:19 AM
On boats, it's considered better to have a lead battery in addition to a lithium bank. Lead acids can absorb electronics-frying dump loads on BMS shutoff while DC charging. And if you're going to flatten _a_ battery (which destroys lead acid and lithium alike), lead acids are the ones you want to kill. Dunno how much of that applies to EVs though. Certainly weight is less of an issue on boats than it is on cars.

Electric cars could be better and lighter if ancillary systems ran on higher voltage, but 12vdc systems are so prolific across so many vehicular industries.

Eye of the Tiger

I'm stoned and I just made that up, but it sounds good.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Rich on October 07, 2022, 10:31:38 AM

The 12v battery flips the big relay or whatever to activate the big battery pack system.

The remotes also operate on the 12v system. We couldn't get into the car with the remote, had to use the backup physical key.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on October 07, 2022, 11:54:31 AM
The 12v battery flips the big relay or whatever to activate the big battery pack system.

That checks out. You need something to manage the BMS.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on October 07, 2022, 11:58:22 AM
That checks out. You need something to manage the BMS.

When I have BMS, I use Metamucil.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2022, 11:24:45 AM
Electric cars could be better and lighter if ancillary systems ran on higher voltage, but 12vdc systems are so prolific across so many vehicular industries.

well, you're right.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 07, 2022, 11:07:27 AM

Its actually quite a bit more difficult changing voltages in a DC system. It could be done through the main motor's inverters, but it would be really inefficient.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

I'm a way from home at the moment and I left the Infiniti, with an own-band four-year-old Autozone battery, on a Ctek battery-minder thingy. My understanding is that heat is usually what brings batteries to a premature end.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

CaminoRacer

I got Cross Climate 2s installed today. The old tires still had decent tread on them but not enough to inspire any confidence in light snow or slush.
Now that the car is better prepared, I'm sure it won't snow again all winter.

FoMoJo

I had a set installed on my car a couple of months ago; mainly because I like the tread pattern.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

I love our CrossClimate 1's. Great tires. They perform well in all conditions.

I test drove a Bolt EUV in the same outing as the EV6 and Ioniq5. It's a really great car. Very fun to drive. It's so easy to spin the front wheels. :lol: GM's redesign of the front seats was a great success. I had no issues with the seat width or bolstering.

CaminoRacer

At some point I might try to find newer seats to swap in.

MrH

I need to test drive a Bolt EUV.  If it was AWD and better looking it'd be an even bigger success :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on December 10, 2022, 05:25:24 PM
I love our CrossClimate 1's. Great tires. They perform well in all conditions.

I test drove a Bolt EUV in the same outing as the EV6 and Ioniq5. It's a really great car. Very fun to drive. It's so easy to spin the front wheels. :lol: GM's redesign of the front seats was a great success. I had no issues with the seat width or bolstering.
:hesaid:  I have the 2s on the Infiniti, put them on just over a year ago. It never effing stops raining here (plus the autumn leaf goop, plus the wintery stuff.) They transformed the car - recommended. These will replace the CX5's OEMs when the time comes.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on December 11, 2022, 08:21:50 AM
I need to test drive a Bolt EUV.  If it was AWD and better looking it'd be an even bigger success :lol:

Nah, it'd be much more expensive. Whatever the Bolt EUV is, it nails it. Great car that drives and feels much nicer than the pricetag suggests.

r0tor

I have the CC2s on the Alfa... Work really well year round, minor lack of lateral grip in the summer
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

heelntoe

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 10, 2022, 05:05:21 PM
I got Cross Climate 2s installed today. The old tires still had decent tread on them but not enough to inspire any confidence in light snow or slush.
Now that the car is better prepared, I'm sure it won't snow again all winter.

How do the tyres affect range?
@heelntoe

CaminoRacer

Quote from: heelntoe on December 13, 2022, 03:33:51 PM
How do the tyres affect range?

I didn't expect much reduction since the car had Hankooks on it, not the OEM Michelins. But the range does seem to have taken a small hit. I'm waiting until the tires are broken in a little bit more before I fully judge the difference. I've heard some Bolt owners say the range of any new, non-OEM tire is bad at first and then improves after a few hundred/thousand miles.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on December 11, 2022, 01:05:10 PM
Nah, it'd be much more expensive. Whatever the Bolt EUV is, it nails it. Great car that drives and feels much nicer than the pricetag suggests.

AWD is also much less efficient. There's more of a range hit from AWD than decent tires. I don't see much need for AWD. I've driven to work in my Miata in the snow all week without much issue.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on December 15, 2022, 10:36:04 PM
AWD is also much less efficient. There's more of a range hit from AWD than decent tires. I don't see much need for AWD. I've driven to work in my Miata in the snow all week without much issue.

EV6 LR batt AWD: 274 miles
EV6 LR batt RWD: 310 miles

That's a 12% range reduction. Not the end of the world. But yeah, people have been absolutely fine with FWD for many decades.

CaminoRacer

These wheels looks awesome, I should get some.

Eye of the Tiger

Hou should get ultra light forged 13" wheels, or the smallest that fit over the brakes

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 27, 2023, 12:20:17 PM
Hou should get ultra light forged 13" wheels, or the smallest that fit over the brakes

I looked at getting 16" wheels before I bought the CrossClimate 2s in December. Would probably have better ride quality

MrH

Those do look really good.  I saw that earlier on Reddit.  I like the gold + red combo.

How did the CrossClimates impact range and efficiency? That's probably what I'll go with once these stock tires wear out in a couple years.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 27, 2023, 12:25:24 PM
I looked at getting 16" wheels before I bought the CrossClimate 2s in December. Would probably have better ride quality

I love fat tires. They make all the sense on these crappy public roads. I have convinced more than one person to give up their rubber band tires.