If Toyota Were To Revive The MR2, It’d Rather Do It With Porsche

Started by cawimmer430, August 25, 2019, 04:34:22 AM

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 03, 2019, 10:13:25 AM
CUVs are faster and handle better than sports cars in the 70s. Back then you had to get a sports car if you wanted decent speed and handling. It was either a floaty boat or a 2 door sports car/coupe. Now you can have your cake and eat it too.
While that's true, they're pretty soulless.  With better tires, suspension and more tractable power you can cover the same road faster, more comfortable and with less involvement with just one finger on the wheel.  A proper roadster and it would be thrilling.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Payman

Toyota has entered into some kind of partnership with Suzuki. If it's anything to do with this, I'll be very interested.  :hmm:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on September 03, 2019, 01:10:04 PM
While that's true, they're pretty soulless.  With better tires, suspension and more tractable power you can cover the same road faster, more comfortable and with less involvement with just one finger on the wheel.  A proper roadster and it would be thrilling.
Why not both?

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

NomisR

They need to make 4 door convertibles with suicide doors again.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 03, 2019, 05:08:49 AM
One day we will have an honest + judgment free discussion about why consumers have moved away from sports cars and coupes

It's most likely economic in nature. People can't afford to have multiple cars anymore, so the market of cars that can't do more things that just look good and be fun has dwindled because there isn't enough demand for it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 03, 2019, 10:13:25 AM
CUVs are faster and handle better than sports cars in the 70s. Back then you had to get a sports car if you wanted decent speed and handling. It was either a floaty boat or a 2 door sports car/coupe. Now you can have your cake and eat it too.

But those are just numbers. The new cake is cake, sure, but it doesn't taste good.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 03, 2019, 04:36:03 PM
Why not both?

My brother came home one day, with a confused look on his face, as he tried to describe to me what he saw. It was a Nissan SUV, but it was a convertible. He had no idea this existed and its existence pierced his understanding of reality.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Payman

Nissan: Nothing is more hilariously douchy as our Milano Convertible.
Hyundai: Hold my beer.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on September 07, 2019, 07:54:12 AM

Is that a real thing? I thought it was a Photoshop job. :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: Rockraven on September 07, 2019, 07:54:12 AM

It's like the party barge of cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 07, 2019, 07:57:57 AM
Is that a real thing? I thought it was a Photoshop job. :mask:

I cannot see anywhere a roof could fold up or hide.

Maybe a removable hard-top like old school?

https://binderbulletin.scoutparts.com/album.php?albumid=18&attachmentid=1265

or
Will