Expedition Pics and Info

Started by TBR, January 27, 2006, 12:24:34 PM

ifcar

It looks great. Interior was an expected improvement, glad to hear about the new seats as well. Redesigned exterior is much nicer than the Explorer's, though the front looks a bit much like a sharpened Edge.  

Tom

saxonyron

Looks real good.  I like the elongated one - the extra 14" is much needed.  When I plant my 5 kids in my current Expediter, there's hardly any room for luggage.  This is kind of funny, though.  I'm 6'7" and have room to do a Texas 2 step while driving, but yet their information says:

"The driver?s seat?s rearward track travel was increased by 20 millimeters to accommodate drivers from 4 feet, 11 inches up to 6 feet, 4 inches."

With almost another inch of travel, they should accomodate 7 footers in that ride!

2013 Audi A6 3.0T   
2007 Audi A6 3.2           
2010 GMC Yukon XL SLT 5.3 V8

The problem is not that people are taxed too little, the problem is that government spends too much.
-- Ronald Reagan

Catman

After looking at that mess of an IRS it's a pleasure to climb under my Toyota and see that solid axle. ;)  

Tom

QuoteAfter looking at that mess of an IRS it's a pleasure to climb under my Toyota and see that solid axle. ;)
:rockon:

But you should get rid of them running boards!

Catman

QuoteAfter looking at that mess of an IRS it's a pleasure to climb under my Toyota and see that solid axle. ;)

Well, my three year old uses them believe it or not. ;)  

Raza

What's the big deal about solid axles?  Good for offroading, right?

Like an Expedition will ever see a dirt road, even.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

I never had the luxury of running boards when I was a lad.  They make it so easy for kids these days :nono:  

Catman

QuoteWhat's the big deal about solid axles?  Good for offroading, right?

I like it because it's simple in comparison.  It rides well enough as is so I don't see much of an advantage adding all those moving parts.  However, I'd be surprised if the 07 Sequoia doesn't have IRS.

Catman

I never had the luxury of running boards when I was a lad.  They make it so easy for kids these days :nono:
:lol:

Raza

QuoteWhat's the big deal about solid axles?  Good for offroading, right?

I like it because it's simple in comparison.  It rides well enough as is so I don't see much of an advantage adding all those moving parts.  However, I'd be surprised if the 07 Sequoia doesn't have IRS.
But the main purpose is for offroading correct?  Either that, or drag racing, but I don't see many Expedition owners doing that either.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tom

QuoteWhat's the big deal about solid axles?  Good for offroading, right?

Solid axles : IRS = Chuck Norris : keanu reeves

Catman

QuoteWhat's the big deal about solid axles?? Good for offroading, right?

But the main purpose is for offroading correct?  Either that, or drag racing, but I don't see many Expedition owners doing that either.
Yeah, a solid axle is better off road but that's not the only advantage in my opinion.  Like I said, I like its simplicity and durability.

Raza

You're talking about SUVs specifically, eh?

Still.  These won't be used offroad.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tom

QuoteWhat's the big deal about solid axles?? Good for offroading, right?

Nah, you're right.  It's going for comfort most importantly to meet the need of most buyers.

TBR

A well set-up solid axle is actually better for drag racing. Actually, all kinds of racing I believe.

so cal cookie

I like it.  I think it looks a little better than the new GM SUVs.  

My only complaint with Fords is their Tritons don't sound quite right.  They don't have the same growl that GM's Vortecs do, or even Toyota's I-force.  

TBR

I agree, even the "mighty" V10 sounds bad.

Raza

A well set-up solid axle is actually better for drag racing. Actually, all kinds of racing I believe.
That's what I meant (I was alluding to the Mustang's live rear axle).  

But as far as circuit racing, I don't think it's better.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Nah, you're right.  It's going for comfort most importantly to meet the need of most buyers.
Right.  I want every car to weigh 1500 pounds, be stickshift only, and have 2 seats and a removeable top, but that just can't happen.  If this car were a Jeep, I too would be outraged (maybe), but it's a Ford Expedition.  Not much offroading on the way to soccer practice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Can't seem to read tonight. And a solid axle may not be be better in real racing, but I don't think it is really any worse (and they are definitely more durable).

Raza

Can't seem to read tonight. And a solid axle may not be be better in real racing, but I don't think it is really any worse (and they are definitely more durable).
It is more durable and better for drag racing, but as I recall, everyone made a fuss about the Mustang, since solid axle cars just don't handle as well as IRS cars.  Also, as I recall, that's one of the reasons that the last generation SVT Cobra was IRS.  Now, I'm not saying a live axle can't be set up for proper handling (they say Hau Thui Tang, or however you spell his name, my sincerest apologies, has done it well) but it seems fairly hard to do.  On another note, an engineering student friend of mine told me that it's fairly simple to fix the problem with Macpherson struts.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Submariner

'Troll.  :rolleyes:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Car Zeus

Expedition looks bland to me, nothing new on design.

Atomic

the interior looks far better! i'm trying sooo hard to like the exterior, but i cannot look past the "add on" grille! i do like this vehicle far better than the 2007 gm suv's, though!

Catman

'Troll.  :rolleyes:
:P  

Catman

I actually like the front though I'm not sure if it's actually improvement or just different.  There's something about the overall shape that's always seemed to look weird to me though I can't really point it out.  Maybe the rear overhang area...it looks so huge that it's odd. :blink:  

TBR

Keep in mind that there is still a regular length version with a normal looking overhang.