EV road tax

Started by CaminoRacer, January 15, 2020, 07:45:35 PM

giant_mtb

Quote from: Laconian on January 16, 2020, 03:04:45 PM
That's the problem with private solutions though, there isn't enough demand in lesser populated areas to support the construction and maintenance of the infrastructure. Companies would rather just not bother if they were left to their own devices. Only USPS serves the folks way out in the boonies. UPS and FedEx refuse. Getting rural residents electrified and connected to phone service required regulation.

And this is Utah we are talking about, which is extremely rural.

I've delivered packages for FedEx as far as ~120 miles from the Marquette hub.  Granted, that was through a contractor that takes care of the rural routes, but they were FedEx packages nonetheless.

Morris Minor

Governments aren't going to let revenues disappear because people move on from the activities that are being taxed. You see it now in retail sales: brick & mortar store sales numbers have just been eclipsed by online stores. So states move on as well... and tax online sales.

Same will happen with EVs. The near-free ride window early adopters have had is closing... and states are going to find a way to make up the lost revenue from declining gas taxes.
Maybe separately meter EV chargers and tax the juice you use. The more you drive the more you pay. Where you charge the car, and where you drive it, is your business.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Raza

Quote from: r0tor on January 16, 2020, 06:28:23 PM
PA has the highest gas tax in the country and some of the worst roads.   The gas tax revenue gets diverted to pretty much everything except roads/bridges.

The PA Turnpike prices have become absolutely ridiculous.  It's horribly in debt and somehow legislaters passed laws that force them to contribute like $800 million a year to the state police despite being trillions in debt.

It's close to fucking $40 every time I go to Pittsburgh...each way!  Although, I will say the Turnpike itself is generally in good condition.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on January 17, 2020, 11:46:33 AM
It's close to fucking $40 every time I go to Pittsburgh...each way!  Although, I will say the Turnpike itself is generally in good condition.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

That's what you get for going to Pittsburgh.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

NomisR

Gas tax alone I think PA wins, but gas + sales, CA is #1, and will be more once cap and trade begins..

SJ_GTI

I think NJ has mostly been the opposite...using general funds to cover the deficit between spending on roads and the gas taxes. They raised the tax a little a couple years ago but I still think they use general funds for roads.

RomanChariot

I abhor toll roads so about 8 years ago while traveling from New York City to Cherry Hill, NJ I set the navigation to avoid toll roads. I don't remember for sure what road it put me on but I recall it being a concrete road that had been patched heavily with asphalt. The asphalt had been laid down in such a manner that I wonder if it hadn't been crapped out of a elephant as it crossed the road. The effect was such that it felt like I was hitting a speed bump about every 50 feet going down the road. On the way back I paid the tolls on the freeway. I guess if you let every other road go to pot people are much more willing to shell out the toll money.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 17, 2020, 02:26:25 PM
I think NJ has mostly been the opposite...using general funds to cover the deficit between spending on roads and the gas taxes. They raised the tax a little a couple years ago but I still think they use general funds for roads.

I applaud that. Although gas tax should just be raised to cover it all, assuming that the budget isn't going straight into someone's pockets.

I've learned that I'm just not a fan of the Utah state legislature. They're always meddling in stuff and think they know better than everyone else.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 17, 2020, 02:42:27 PM
I applaud that. Although gas tax should just be raised to cover it all, assuming that the budget isn't going straight into someone's pockets.

I've learned that I'm just not a fan of the Utah state legislature. They're always meddling in stuff and think they know better than everyone else.

Well, its NJ so I assume at least 10% the spend on roads is actually just going to the mob.  :devil:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 17, 2020, 02:42:27 PM

Dude that's government everywhere!!!!   Legislature should write law and otherwise guide the overall work of the different departments, but the departments generally know what works and what doesn't.

But then seeing all the sloths where I work (some pull really nice paychecks for minimal (or no, or negative) work)... :cry:
Will

NomisR

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 17, 2020, 02:43:18 PM
Well, its NJ so I assume at least 10% the spend on roads is actually just going to the mob.  :devil:

I think it's a lot more than 10% based on this.

https://reason.org/policy-study/23rd-annual-highway-report/maintenance-disbursements-per-mile/

I want to think that the number was a typo but it seems to hold true for previous years as well..

Laconian

Cost of labor is extraordinarily high in WA state because of the construction boom.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 17, 2020, 05:50:46 PM
Cost of labor is extraordinarily high in WA state because of the construction boom.

Utah is getting the same way. Local school district tried to pass a bond bill in November for a few new schools & repairs but the voters shot it down. Just means it's gonna cost even more next year or 2 years from now when they finally get the approval... Like 25% more, probably.

SJ_GTI

Quote from: NomisR on January 17, 2020, 05:02:09 PM
I think it's a lot more than 10% based on this.

https://reason.org/policy-study/23rd-annual-highway-report/maintenance-disbursements-per-mile/

I want to think that the number was a typo but it seems to hold true for previous years as well..

Based on that i had it backwards...90% is going to the mob.

FoMoJo

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 17, 2020, 06:58:04 PM
Based on that i had it backwards...90% is going to the mob.
You either got really good roads or a lot of guys leaning on shovels.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."