EV road tax

Started by CaminoRacer, January 15, 2020, 07:45:35 PM

CaminoRacer

I got a letter in the mail trying to get me to sign up for this privacy-invading program: https://roadusagecharge.utah.gov/

Fuck that noise. I'm not installing a tracker on my car so the government can tax me. Time to throw the tea back in the harbor.

1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV, 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

MX793

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2020, 07:45:35 PM
I got a letter in the mail trying to get me to sign up for this privacy-invading program: https://roadusagecharge.utah.gov/

Fuck that noise. I'm not installing a tracker on my car so the government can tax me. Time to throw the tea back in the harbor.

Why don't you want to pay your fair share?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

FoMoJo

How much is the flat fee?
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

Quote from: MX793 on January 15, 2020, 07:58:21 PM
Why don't you want to pay your fair share?

Utah loves to complain about our air quality. I paid a few grand more for an EV instead of a Civic to help the air quality. The coal rolling diesel trucks can pay 2x to cover my share.

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 15, 2020, 08:06:40 PM
How much is the flat fee?

2020 is $90, 2021 is $120

CaminoRacer

I just hope that this isn't the long term solution for all road taxes. Flat rate obviously isn't "fair" to all drivers whose road usage is different and I don't like government tracking of mileage/location/driving habits

Laconian

Why do they need to see your data all the time? This would be much less alarming if you had to pop an OBD dongle in your car every year, at least you know it's only reporting instantaneous mileage data and not gathering troves of historical data. That's messed up.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

I had no idea you lived in Europe!  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 15, 2020, 09:51:05 PM
I just hope that this isn't the long term solution for all road taxes. Flat rate obviously isn't "fair" to all drivers whose road usage is different and I don't like government tracking of mileage/location/driving habits
They could just do a mileage check when you renew your registration.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 16, 2020, 07:22:15 AM

That would be much more tolerable. Although it doesn't account for out of state driving like a fuel tax can do. College kids with out of state plates would be funneling tax money to their "home" state while driving in a completely different state and not supporting those roads at all

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2020, 08:31:23 AM
That would be much more tolerable. Although it doesn't account for out of state driving like a fuel tax can do. College kids with out of state plates would be funneling tax money to their "home" state while driving in a completely different state and not supporting those roads at all
Flat rate it is then. 

RomanChariot

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 16, 2020, 07:22:15 AM

That is in discussion for the future but I don't believe that Utah currently has a method of tracking EV mileage. Utah recently got rid of vehicle safety inspections and EVs don't have to have an emission inspection which is why they came up with a flat rate.

NomisR

toll roads on all roads... it would allow competition for better roads and less congestion too..

Xer0

Quote from: NomisR on January 16, 2020, 12:07:21 PM
toll roads on all roads... it would allow competition for better roads and less congestion too..

Pass, I don't trust it for a second.  Toll roads are always "temporary" but instead are just added to and added to.  In theory, they would be fine if you could trust your government but having lived in Illinois for 25 years that's a tall order.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Xer0 on January 16, 2020, 12:17:42 PM
Pass, I don't trust it for a second.  Toll roads are always "temporary" but instead are just added to and added to.  In theory, they would be fine if you could trust your government but having lived in Illinois for 25 years that's a tall order.

Also pass. It'd end up just like our high speed internet infrastructure. Only one road to choose from, $70 toll, 25 mph speed limit  :lol:

r0tor

Gas taxes are pointless. The money gets funneled back into the general state budget and appropriated from there.  Many times only a fraction of the actual tax collected goes to infrastructure upkeep.

Just kill the tax all together and raise the state income/sales/ect tax as needed.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on January 16, 2020, 12:49:22 PM
Gas taxes are pointless. The money gets funneled back into the general state budget and appropriated from there.  Many times only a fraction of the actual tax collected goes to infrastructure upkeep.

Just kill the tax all together and raise the state income/sales/ect tax as needed.

True.

Utah is trying to lower the income tax and raise food tax, gas tax, random service tax (netflix, massages, lawn mowing, etc). I think it's dumb and just complicated things.

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2020, 01:01:11 PM
True.

Utah is trying to lower the income tax and raise food tax, gas tax, random service tax (netflix, massages, lawn mowing, etc). I think it's dumb and just complicated things.

They are doing it because the Utah constitution specifies that 100% of income tax has to go to school funding. The legislators want to be able to control where they spend the taxes.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 16, 2020, 01:28:44 PM
They are doing it because the Utah constitution specifies that 100% of income tax has to go to school funding. The legislators want to be able to control where they spend the taxes.

Yeah they should just change the constitution if they really want to.

Laconian

Quote from: NomisR on January 16, 2020, 12:07:21 PM

A) The majority of tolling revenue go to the private companies that run the tolling infrastructure.
B) Rural people are screwed because there's no tax revenue to maintain their less-important roads.

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2020, 01:01:11 PM
True.

So regressive... why are they doing that?

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 16, 2020, 01:28:44 PM

Can't they amend it?

NomisR

Quote from: Laconian on January 16, 2020, 02:11:56 PM
A) The majority of tolling revenue go to the private companies that run the tolling infrastructure.
B) Rural people are screwed because there's no tax revenue to maintain their less-important roads.

privatize the roads, all tolls from specific roads goes into maintaining said roads.  Companies/Stores and opt to sponsor roads so it's free to travel so customers can get to their stores for free..

Laconian

That's the problem with private solutions though, there isn't enough demand in lesser populated areas to support the construction and maintenance of the infrastructure. Companies would rather just not bother if they were left to their own devices. Only USPS serves the folks way out in the boonies. UPS and FedEx refuse. Getting rural residents electrified and connected to phone service required regulation.

And this is Utah we are talking about, which is extremely rural.

veeman

State income tax is obviously based on income.  High state income taxes has caused an exodus of high earners to states with no state income tax.  All these other taxes which are not income based are peanuts compared to a state income tax for someone earning 7 figures a year. 

Laconian

Utah doesn't want to spurn all its NuSkin MLM zillionaires :lol:

RomanChariot

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2020, 01:41:38 PM
Yeah they should just change the constitution if they really want to.

Quote from: Laconian on January 16, 2020, 02:12:35 PM
Can't they amend it?

They want to amend the constitution but it is not a popular idea. People don't trust the legislators to not pull the funding away from the education system if they are given discretion over how it is spent. Instead they are choosing to try to lower the income tax so that they can reduce the money that is going to the education system and add other taxes that they have discretion over.

Xer0

Quote from: Laconian on January 16, 2020, 02:12:35 PM
So regressive... why are they doing that?

Sounds good to me.  Kinda sounds like a backdoor to go with a more European style VAT which I'm personally okay with vs just Income taxes.  Of course, the issue becomes when you get a VAT AND Income taxes....

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on January 16, 2020, 03:18:53 PM
Utah doesn't want to spurn all its NuSkin MLM zillionaires :lol:

Right?
Will

CaminoRacer

Quote from: RomanChariot on January 16, 2020, 03:19:16 PM
They want to amend the constitution but it is not a popular idea. People don't trust the legislators to not pull the funding away from the education system if they are given discretion over how it is spent. Instead they are choosing to try to lower the income tax so that they can reduce the money that is going to the education system and add other taxes that they have discretion over.

Well they're right not to trust them, since they are doing exactly that with the new tax bill. :lol:

NomisR

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 16, 2020, 03:57:10 PM
Well they're right not to trust them, since they are doing exactly that with the new tax bill. :lol:

Hell, look at California with the recently passed gas tax that they "promised that it will never be diverted to anything else", it got diverted to the low speed rail to no where last year, and the media barely reported on it..

r0tor

PA has the highest gas tax in the country and some of the worst roads.   The gas tax revenue gets diverted to pretty much everything except roads/bridges.

The PA Turnpike prices have become absolutely ridiculous.  It's horribly in debt and somehow legislaters passed laws that force them to contribute like $800 million a year to the state police despite being trillions in debt.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed