Historic Bundeswehr Vehicle Exhibition

Started by cawimmer430, March 02, 2020, 12:02:25 PM

cawimmer430

On Sunday I came across this small Bundeswehr (German Army) historic vehicle exhibition at the Fürstenfeldbruck Modellbautage (models and diorama exhibition). Check it out!

First thing's first: the location! Fürstenfeldbruck Abbey  :ohyeah:

1963 MAN 620 L2A Communications Truck

Powered by a 130-horsepower 8275cc inline-6 Multi-Fuel engine. This particular truck was in service until 1994.

Volkswagen Passat 5-Door Diesel (B2) Communications Vehicle

Faun Kraka 640 Militär

This was used by the paratrooper arm of the Bundeswehr and was foldable in the middle for easy stowage on airplanes. It was powered by a [detuned] 26-horsepower 2-cylinder air-cooled engine from the BMW 700 Coupe. As you can see, the Imperial Storm Troopers love it.  :lol:

And some random snapshots of the model exhibition! Digging that aircraft carrier!!! :cheers:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

Fun!

That truck looks like an older version of the stuff I've worked on.....   It's all digital now but they try to cram as much commo (communications) stuff in as they can.
Will

Galaxy

Payman

Awesome! Love the models. Except the van. WTF.  :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 02, 2020, 04:12:46 PM
Fun!

That truck looks like an older version of the stuff I've worked on.....   It's all digital now but they try to cram as much commo (communications) stuff in as they can.

Imagine how back in those days the guys working those devices really needed to know their stuff! I imagine these days it's still challenging, but digitalization has made things much easier! ;)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on March 02, 2020, 04:21:48 PM
Do the coms work?

Not sure. I was more interested in the Diesel engine of that MAN truck which has multi-fuel capabilities. It can burn really crap quality fuel as long as it does not contain alcohol. The owner even told me that the motor could burn a polluted form of "diluted gasoline".

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rockraven on March 02, 2020, 04:52:33 PM
Awesome! Love the models. Except the van. WTF.  :lol:

I know! If you're gonna model a GMC van, you need to do it properly! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 02, 2020, 08:56:16 PM
Not sure. I was more interested in the Diesel engine of that MAN truck which has multi-fuel capabilities. It can burn really crap quality fuel as long as it does not contain alcohol. The owner even told me that the motor could burn a polluted form of "diluted gasoline".

I don't know why the no-alcohol problem exists. Multi-fuel engines typically have no problem with either alcohol or gasoline (as long as some oil is added in to lubricste the injectors). 
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2020, 03:42:23 AM
I don't know why the no-alcohol problem exists. Multi-fuel engines typically have no problem with either alcohol or gasoline (as long as some oil is added in to lubricste the injectors).

There was even a description about the engine which stated that it didn't burn very well with alcohol-based fuels. Perhaps this was limited to this particular engine.

I was always under the impression that a "multi-fuel" engine could literally use any kind of fuel.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 03, 2020, 07:44:45 AM
There was even a description about the engine which stated that it didn't burn very well with alcohol-based fuels. Perhaps this was limited to this particular engine.

I was always under the impression that a "multi-fuel" engine could literally use any kind of fuel.

Most can, poorly. They basically run poorly, on everything.

The alcohol concerns may be about alcohol reacting with rubber seals (which is a problem with all older vehicles and ethanol blend fuels)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

That Faun Kraka would be really popular here. I know guys that would love a European version of the M274 Mule.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 02, 2020, 08:55:03 PM
Imagine how back in those days the guys working those devices really needed to know their stuff! I imagine these days it's still challenging, but digitalization has made things much easier! ;)

No, digital stuff is 100x harder because you can't just wiggle something and get it to work. Virtual computers inside virtual computers inside.... :mask:
Will

Galaxy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 04, 2020, 07:46:48 PM
No, digital stuff is 100x harder because you can't just wiggle something and get it to work. Virtual computers inside virtual computers inside.... :mask:

It is all relative. Ask an expert on common rail systems to calibrate a carburateur.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on March 03, 2020, 08:03:31 AM
Most can, poorly. They basically run poorly, on everything.

The alcohol concerns may be about alcohol reacting with rubber seals (which is a problem with all older vehicles and ethanol blend fuels)

That might be it; the rubber seals!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 04, 2020, 07:46:48 PM

And here I thought you just flick some buttons and bam, it works! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on March 04, 2020, 10:35:49 PM
It is all relative. Ask an expert on common rail systems to calibrate a carburateur.

I work(ed) with a wide mix of analog and digital systems, and all things being equal, I've been equally perplexed by both, and I've fixed stuff on both and never figured out why.