Lexus ES

Started by Catman, January 29, 2006, 08:34:28 PM

Raza

Quoterain sensing wipers would piss me off...
Like automatic headlights, they can be set to be operated manually.
That's another pet peeve of mine- daytime headlights!  It looks retarded on a sunny day!  It's nearly impossible to get a dealer w/ the necessary computer shit to do it though for fear of liability, we ended up buying one of those reader thingies and doing it ourselves on the Saab.
I could turn mine off by installing a Euro-spec switch, but it doesn't seem worth it.  There's no downside to DRLs.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

That's another pet peeve of mine- daytime headlights!  It looks retarded on a sunny day!  It's nearly impossible to get a dealer w/ the necessary computer shit to do it though for fear of liability, we ended up buying one of those reader thingies and doing it ourselves on the Saab.
I could turn mine off by installing a Euro-spec switch, but it doesn't seem worth it.  There's no downside to DRLs.
oN my Sequoia there's a connector right near the battery.  Disconnect it and it disables the DRL's.  Very simple.

J86

Downside: they look dumb!  Also, the principle of the car deciding what it wants to do is rather irksome.

For whatever reason (I don't know, the DRLs were Dad's big thing) it was more complicated than necessary to disable them.

Raza

Downside: they look dumb!  Also, the principle of the car deciding what it wants to do is rather irksome.

For whatever reason (I don't know, the DRLs were Dad's big thing) it was more complicated than necessary to disable them.
If looking dumb were a downside, 90% of people would drive different cars.  

If it actually does increase awareness of your vehicle and decrease accidents then it's worth having.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

well, its a downside to me and its something i could do something about.

Raza

Quotewell, its a downside to me and its something i could do something about.
Well, I'd go ahead and disconnect your airbags and ABS--hell, why not just replace your discs with drum brakes?  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

nah, i like the airbags and abs just fine.

Actually, i don't have ABS, are the brakes on the '96 dx in the rear disc or drum?  I've never replaced those...

TBR

The benefit of airbags is actually rather doubtful. However, with modern seat belt designs I wouldn't want to be in a car without them.

ifcar

QuoteThe benefit of airbags is actually rather doubtful.
How do you figure? :blink:

TBR

A seat belt that isn't designed to slip (as modern ones are) should keep your head away from the steering wheel/dashboard. Remember the court case that is the reason airbags are so prevelent today involved a young lady who got injuries because she wasn't wearing a seat belt. If you have the common sense to wear a seat belt a front airbag shouldn't be necessary. Of course cars equipped with airbags are much safer, but that has to do with other advances imho.

ifcar

<_<

An airbag going off when someone isn't wearing a seatbelt can be potentially more dangerous than not having one at all. The systems are designed to complement each other.

Check your sources, there is every indicator that airbags have a definite safety benefit when they can function properly.  

SJ_GTI

I think all new cars sold in canada require DRL's.

Audi doesn't have DRL's, so instead the car is programed to have the fog lights on during the day.

Tom

The gov might exaggerate the benefits of air bags and the latest safety features when they conduct their crash tests to get people to buy cars.

ifcar

QuoteThe gov might exaggerate the benefits of air bags and the latest safety features when they conduct their crash tests to get people to buy cars.
Airbags are a conspiracy, right.  

Tom

QuoteThe gov might exaggerate the benefits of air bags and the latest safety features when they conduct their crash tests to get people to buy cars.
Airbags are a conspiracy, right.
No, but benefits could be exaggerated B)  

The driver is the best safety feature, but can be the worst.  He must use his noggin.

TBR

It is safer to have just an airbag than no restraint at all, that is what the original court case was built on. And, it was a sort of consipiracy. Some money-grabbing lawyer convinced a women that if her car had had airbags when she was involved in an accident she wouldn't have been injured and the rest is history.

SJ_GTI

I just read this whole thread.

Ifcar is certifiable.

Lacrosse is uncomfortable and intolerable? What a schmuck. The Lacrosse is perfectly comfortable and entirely tolerable, even on long trips.

Like most magazines I am noticing Ifcar will exagerrate any little difference he can find to make his favorite cars sound better.

ifcar

At fairly low-speed accidents it is safer to have the seatbelt but no airbag, especially for smaller occupants. At a high-speed collision you're in trouble missing either restraint system.

TBR

I guess whiplash might be a problem. But, it is a trade off, if we had airbags that deployed only above certain speeds that would be the best solution. However, we don't and since more collisions occur at lower speeds than higher speeds I would rather have a vehicle that doesn't have them.

ifcar

Airbags do only deploy after a certain amount of force, and the latest airbags vary the force of inflation based on different factors.  

TBR

True indeed. I suppose you're right here. But, when airbags originally came out it was probably safer to be in a vehicle without them as they deployed far too hard. So, in conclusion, I might have had an argument 10 years ago :lol:

ifcar

Yes, but you'd probably have to go back even further. They were mandated by 1997 (?) so I doubt they were still having problems then.

TBR

I don't. Government mandates aren't always logical you know.  

ifcar

If there was an inherent safety risk, there's no way that it would have gotten through. The auto lobby is very powerful, and I doubt they let it get through without a fight as it was because of the cost per vehicle it would entail, and any fight would highlight a safety risk.

For detailed safety ratings of cars from that time, you can check the first IIHS offset crash tests. I don't recall ever seeing a complaint of an overpowerful airbag deployment.  

Raza

Quotenah, i like the airbags and abs just fine.

Actually, i don't have ABS, are the brakes on the '96 dx in the rear disc or drum?  I've never replaced those...
The rear are definitely drum, since the 2002's rears were still drum.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

BENZ BOY15

QuoteLooks terrible, inside and out.
Has Toyota done anything right?

cawimmer430

Like I said on C&D, it looks better than the last generation, but it also got "fatter". The interior is sorta gimmicky with that embossed center console design. I don't doubt the materials, but whoever designed that interior got some styling cues from the Cardassian Empire in Star Trek.  :P  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

QuoteLooks terrible, inside and out.
Has Toyota done anything right?
Supra
MR-2
SC300 5 speed
IS300 5 speed

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

J86

Actually, i don't have ABS, are the brakes on the '96 dx in the rear disc or drum?  I've never replaced those...
cool.  the car stops great so long as its not snowy!

thewizard16

Actually, i don't have ABS, are the brakes on the '96 dx in the rear disc or drum?  I've never replaced those...
I jumped into this thread, what kind of car are you talking about? By the DX extension I'm thinking Civic or Camry, perhaps?
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.