Formula 1 - 2020 + 2021

Started by FoMoJo, August 29, 2020, 10:33:30 AM

Rich

Isn't there a time limit for the race?  Do the cars not have enough fuel to get them to the time limit?

I'd guess probably not since the time limit would be for red flags when cars aren't burning gas.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Galaxy

Red Bull breached the budget cap for 2021.   :popcorn:

Not clear how, or by how much. Rumor says that they budgeted ALL of the catering, including what employees eat, as marketing costs, which are not under a budget cap.

r0tor

It is pretty shitty in 2021 Mercedes stopped development to meet the cap and then lost the drivers championship to a team that blew the budget.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

CaminoRacer

The budget cap is super lame and doesn't belong in F1
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Galaxy

The problem with era before the cost cap was that the budget was only affordable if you win WDC/WDC. Toyota spent $ 1 Billion per year with nothing to show for it. Same reason, BMW, Honda and others are no longer in F1.

Galaxy

What is curious is that for the last three years they have unique version of the F1 theme song for the Mexico GP(Mariachi ) to my knowledge they do not do this for any other race, so not sure why Mexico gets treated differently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WymUKBa54

I like it.

AutobahnSHO

Apparently a guy next to me at work is a huge F1 fan. He was looking up tickets for Vegas F1 race- $500 for the "cheap seats" but it includes all food and non-alcohol drinks. Not too terrible.
Will

Galaxy

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on November 02, 2022, 07:12:12 PM
Apparently a guy next to me at work is a huge F1 fan. He was looking up tickets for Vegas F1 race- $500 for the "cheap seats" but it includes all food and non-alcohol drinks. Not too terrible.

$500 is not for seats, it is for standing. Grandstands start at $2000. And basic hotel rooms in Vegas for the GP weekend seem to be $2000 per night for the GP weekend. WTF.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Rich

Apparently Cadillac might make an F1 entry with Andretti

Ford has been rumored as well.

The future could be very interesting.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Galaxy on November 04, 2022, 04:24:01 AM
$500 is not for seats, it is for standing. Grandstands start at $2000. And basic hotel rooms in Vegas for the GP weekend seem to be $2000 per night for the GP weekend. WTF.

$1000/night at MGM Grand with seats near the starting line and pits. Ends up around $9000 with 3 nights and $2500 tickets and stuff. (2 people max)

Not worth it, at all.

CaminoRacer

So many ridiculous excuses from the teams on why Andretti shouldn't be allowed in.

They want American money with Liberty Media's new focus, but apparently that's it.

Rich

I saw that the only team not sour on the Andretti entry is Alpine, because Renault will supposedly be providing the engines for the Andretti team.

LOL what a sham from GM/Cadillac if true

https://the-race.com/formula-1/andretti-cadillac-plan-still-faces-substantial-f1-opposition/

CaminoRacer

The grid isn't full and I don't think new teams should be blocked unless there are multiple bids for the open spots.

r0tor

Quote from: Rich on January 09, 2023, 11:38:36 AM
I saw that the only team not sour on the Andretti entry is Alpine, because Renault will supposedly be providing the engines for the Andretti team.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/andretti-cadillac-plan-still-faces-substantial-f1-opposition/

I believe engines are locked down now for a.bunch of years - so probably a new manufacturer is not even possible
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

Quote from: Rich on January 09, 2023, 11:38:36 AM

Who would supply the car?

Though the interest and involvement of General Motors has been well received behind the scenes, most existing teams are wary of it just being a badging exercise passed off as a full General Motors works team. Essentially, there is a question mark over just how involved General Motors would be.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

r0tor

Love the hypocrisy with a series that current fields an "Alfa Romeo" team, an "Aston Martin" team, Red Bull for a few years was powered by Aston Martin, Infiniti and also Tag Heur at one point (lol)

Rich

Quote from: r0tor on January 09, 2023, 12:01:04 PM
I believe engines are locked down now for a.bunch of years - so probably a new manufacturer is not even possible

ah.  It's more rational then.

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on January 09, 2023, 03:16:17 PM
Love the hypocrisy with a series that current fields an "Alfa Romeo" team, an "Aston Martin" team, Red Bull for a few years was powered by Aston Martin, Infiniti and also Tag Heur at one point (lol)
The "manufacturers" really have little to do with it other than providing the money.  it's all very specialized.  There will be no "GM" engineers involved.  If they "GM" do become involved in building the car, will have to steal staff from other F1 teams.

r0tor

Red Bull joining forces with.........

FORD!!!!????!!!

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on February 03, 2023, 11:22:08 AM

FORD!!!!????!!!
Red Bull was formerly the Jaguar team when Jaguar was owned by Ford so a good fit.  As well, Ford has a long history in F1 as participants in developing the Cosworth DFV engine which ruled F1 for a number of years; first installed in a Lotus 49 driven by Jim Clark.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: r0tor on February 03, 2023, 11:22:08 AM

FORD!!!!????!!!

The same folks complaining about a Cadillac badge job

FoMoJo

Quote from: CaminoRacer on February 03, 2023, 12:09:41 PM
The same folks complaining about a Cadillac badge job
In all likelihood, it probably means that Ford will pay the cost of engine development as per the '26 rules change...Why Ford can offer Red Bull what Porsche could not in F1...much as they did for the DFV Cosworth engine in the '60s.

Not sure what GM is offering, though it seems they are planning on a new team.

FoMoJo

Some 2026 F1 engine news...FIA reveals six F1 engine suppliers signed up for 2026

F1 is set to debut its next generation of power units in 2026, placing a heavy emphasis on the use of sustainable fuels and greater electric power in a bid for improved sustainability whilst not impacting the on-track spectacle.

Talks with both existing and potential new manufacturers have been ongoing for some time regarding the regulations, but the FIA revealed on Friday that six parties have completed their registration.

This includes Audi, who announced back in September that it would be entering F1 for the first time in 2026 as an engine supplier to Sauber, and Red Bull Ford, whose partnership was also revealed on Friday.

Read Also:Why Ford can offer Red Bull what Porsche could not in F1
Although Honda's existing relationship with Red Bull will come to an end in 2026, the Japanese manufacturer has also signed up for the cycle that runs from 2026 to 2030 – despite not having an affiliation with a team in place.

It means that with the existing power unit suppliers, the registered companies are:

CaminoRacer

Who is Honda going to provide engines for?

FoMoJo

FoMoJo

The question of the year.  Will Mercedes still porpoise when they test at Bahrain this week?

FoMoJo

Checking out the competition...

r0tor

Probably another snoozer of a year

FoMoJo