My car Airbussed me!

Started by VTEC_Inside, October 07, 2020, 01:25:16 PM

VTEC_Inside

I was driving home yesterday on an alternate route that allows for a bit more speed than my regular route. This was a rather spirited drive, portions in Mexico for higher limits.

At one point there was a car turning left off the road we were on. "BRAKE!" the car proclaimed. I was slowing down already as the car would still be there when I got there if I didn't. Finally the car begins it's left and will be clear momentarily. "BRAKE!", the instrument cluster proudly preached. Meh said I, and then rolled back about half travel into the loud pedal. "Uh-uh, no!", said the engine. In an instant I was greeted by the growl of an open throttle body on a coasting engine followed by the "peace-out" of what little boost remained. Did I kick it out of gear? Did I nuke the clutch? WTF gives??? Then it dawns on me that my car had "protected" me by overruling my throttle input.

After cursing the the thing out, I toggled through the menus to shit that shit off. I knew it didn't brake like the automatics but I never thought about the electronic power neuter.

I did turn it back on this morning, but you bet your ass it's off before the next spirited run.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

shp4man

That's programmed in thanks to the Lexus crash WOT disaster.

AutobahnSHO

craziness!

So there we were on the German Autobahn and my friend discovered his 1999ish Dodge minivan shuts the power off at 110mph. Completely goes to idle. Doesn't come back on until you get below 90mph.

Downright dangerous- and scared the crap out of him that he broke the car the first time it happened. :mask:
Will

cawimmer430

My car does the same thing, but at least it gives me a warning in less critical situations by flashing a red triangle in the main screen.

In more critical situations the car will automatically brake. Just a month or two ago I was driving through a narrow street in a residential area at 20 km/h (speed limit is 30 km/h in residential areas). On both sides of the street were parked cars. In such a situation I, like any normal driver, drives slow and is prepared to hit the brakes in an emergency. Suddenly a child pokes its head and upper body out between two parked cars on the right hand side - and my car automatically brakes and comes to a complete stop. Even though I saw the child and was about to hit the brakes, the car did it before me.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 08, 2020, 05:59:44 AM
My car does the same thing, but at least it gives me a warning in less critical situations by flashing a red triangle in the main screen.

In more critical situations the car will automatically brake. Just a month or two ago I was driving through a narrow street in a residential area at 20 km/h (speed limit is 30 km/h in residential areas). On both sides of the street were parked cars. In such a situation I, like any normal driver, drives slow and is prepared to hit the brakes in an emergency. Suddenly a child pokes its head and upper body out between two parked cars on the right hand side - and my car automatically brakes and comes to a complete stop. Even though I saw the child and was about to hit the brakes, the car did it before me.

Oh I got the warnings. I'm sure it was because I tried to accelerate while the warning was still flashing.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...