Slashed tire >:(

Started by Laconian, November 23, 2020, 11:05:19 PM

Laconian

Ugh, someone slashed a Subie tire while I was parked next to a trailhead. The TPMS warning kicked on while I was on the interstate, so I slowed down to around 35, then I heard a BMPBMPBMPBMP sound and the car stopped tracking straight. Left rear tire was completely deflated, well slashed with some damage to the wheel. Fuckers!

Fortunately, since I had all my bike gear with me, I was well equipped in the lighting department while I swapped on the spare. Blinking bike lights make for great road flares.

Can I replace just one tire, if the remaining tires are only lightly worn? I think we might have less than 10k miles on the set, since we replaced them around November of last year, and we've driven very few miles this year.  I would hate to have to replace the other three tires, since they weren't cheap and still have lots of life left on them.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Damn. That sucks.

Normally, I would say yeah, no problem. I'm not 100% sure though with the Subaru.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Morris Minor

Ugh - WTF? Casual nastiness & vandalism. Were you parked in someone's way or something?
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

cawimmer430

If they catch the bastards who did this, I have the perfect punishment for them.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

Was it the hash-slinging-slasher?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

veeman

Personally I would just replace that one tire with only 10 thousand miles on the rest of the tires.  I would do a wheel rotation so that the new tire is on a rear wheel. 

Mind you I'm not speaking on this with any expertise.  I've always replaced damaged tires with just a single tire if the rest of the tires are not near end of tread life and I've always done a wheel rotation if necessary so that the new tire is in the rear of the car.  I figure there's less handling difference if the turning wheels have the same tread.

I think that significant differences in air pressure between the 4 tires have a bigger effect than minor differences in tread of the same tire make and model so I'm pretty careful about making sure all the tires have the same or nearly the same air pressure. 

I tend to replace all 4 tires before they get bald anyways.

MX793

Measure the tread depths and compare to new.  10K miles can consume 30% or more of a tire's tread.  I would also be wary of having any mismatch on an AWD vehicle.  It not only can strain your axle differential, but center differential as well.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on November 24, 2020, 07:31:36 AM
Measure the tread depths and compare to new.  10K miles can consume 30% or more of a tire's tread.  I would also be wary of having any mismatch on an AWD vehicle.  It not only can strain your axle differential, but center differential as well.

That's the thing. I've heard various stories about late model Subarus and failure prone differentials.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

shp4man

Sure you didn't just run over something sharp? Anyway, replacement of one tire shouldn't be a problem on the rear axle.

mzziaz

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 24, 2020, 08:08:03 AM
That's the thing. I've heard various stories about late model Subarus and failure prone differentials.

I've heard the same thing.
Cuore Sportivo

Speed_Racer

Tire Rack and some other retailers will shave your new tire to match the rest, if you only want to buy one.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Shaving

Laconian

Quote from: Speed_Racer on November 24, 2020, 09:56:27 AM
Tire Rack and some other retailers will shave your new tire to match the rest, if you only want to buy one.

https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Shaving

Duuuuuude thanks for the hot tip.

Quote from: shp4man on November 24, 2020, 08:28:18 AM
Sure you didn't just run over something sharp? Anyway, replacement of one tire shouldn't be a problem on the rear axle.

It's possible, but the parking lot I parked in had a sign warning people to secure their valuables against car prowlers...

When the sidewall is punctured, does the tire deflate quickly or slowly over time?

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on November 24, 2020, 11:27:33 AM

It's possible, but the parking lot I parked in had a sign warning people to secure their valuables against car prowlers...

When the sidewall is punctured, does the tire deflate quickly or slowly over time?

Depends on the size of the hole.  A gash an inch or two long would deflate a tire in a second or two.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

RomanChariot

Quote from: Laconian on November 24, 2020, 11:27:33 AM

It really depends on the puncture. If it was slashed with a knife it would likely go down pretty quickly. If it was punctured with something like an awl that leaves a small round hole it could take a longer time.

Laconian

Maybe I ran over something on the interstate, then. I had been on the road for around 30 minutes total before I saw the warning.

CaminoRacer

Definitely get a matching tire from Tire Rack
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on November 24, 2020, 11:59:41 AM
Maybe I ran over something on the interstate, then. I had been on the road for around 30 minutes total before I saw the warning.

What did the gash in the tire look like?  What sort of rim damage?

A tire that is run soft (like from a slow leak like a nail hole) can eventually catastrophically fail via a split sidewall.  But TPMS should have warned you of a soft tire well before it got to that point.  A tire that is driven flat will also tend to split a sidewall if driven very far.  It's possible the sidewall damage was after the tire deflated and not the cause.

If a sidewall splits because the tire ran soft, you can usually feel heat blisters in the remaining sidewall, typically near where the tread meets the sidewall.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Laconian

Looks like two discrete stabs, one of which is a very clean cut/split.

Eye of the Tiger

That has to be a rock or debris. A slasher couldn't do that to the wheel.

Laconian

Factory tread depth is 9/32. Measured tread depth with a micrometer is 7-7.5. Should be fine to drop on a replacement w/o shaving...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on November 24, 2020, 12:50:11 PM
Factory tread depth is 9/32. Measured tread depth with a micrometer is 7-7.5. Should be fine to drop on a replacement w/o shaving...

Just run 1.6 PSI less pressure in the new tire. :tounge:

MX793

The damage to the rim doesn't look like it was caused by any kind of knife.  An axe blow might leave that kind of dent/dimple, but an axe wouldn't leave a squiggly gash.  Unless the rim damage was from the tire collapsing.

The twin cuts could have been cause by a piece of channel or scrap metal.  If those two gashes were knife stabs through the tire, it would have gone flat in under a minute.  If somebody had done that while you were away from the vehicle, it would have been flat before you left the parking area.
Needs more Jiggawatts

Laconian

That black smear is telling of debris - none of the other wheels are similarly marked.

FoMoJo

The dent in the rim looks really odd.  Must have been a hard blow to cause it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

AutobahnSHO

My experience is tire shops use every excuse to make you buy four new tires. I asked around about shaving a tire and people looked at me like I was from (the weird side of) Naboo.

Reminds me, we have two tires from last time we had to replace a (4) tire. I should rotate them on. Seems the front tires wear faster.
Will

Laconian

Apparently I'll get some money back from the warranty? :rockon:

Laconian

Got $160 back from the warranty. Michelin FTW?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on December 08, 2020, 06:03:32 PM
Got $160 back from the warranty. Michelin FTW?

crazy! good! crazy good!
Will