Volvo V70 opinions

Started by JWC, February 01, 2006, 07:32:49 PM

JWC

I was joking with a body shop owner today after discussing the repair costs of a VW, that if my Saab was in that same category of repair costs, very high, I might trade it for something...oh, like a Volvo.

Well, two hours later, I was on my bike leaving for lunch when I noticed that a salesman and the dealerhip owner were going over a car up front.  I stopped and asked about it and the guy was trading his Volvo V70 wagon in for a Ford 500.   It turns out that the V70 is a 2000 model with only 33k.  Has everything the Saab has except ventilated seats, the Volvo only has heated seats.  

Sunday, I replaced the front brakes on the Saab and changed the oil. And, it appears that I have some oil sludging beginning...well, it was pretty thick actually. Except for 1000 miles, this vehicle has always had synthetic oil. Saab is known for this problem and they have numerous complaints of engines letting go at 40k.  So, among other life decisions, I started to seriously think that the Saab should go while the going was good.

This v70 would be perfect for the photography business should I decide to pursue that full-time.  The only immediate problem I can see is the usual crap you have to put up with when it comes to the sales department. The Saab is actually worth more than the Volvo. The Saab is a 2001 9-5 with 20,490 miles. But, knowing sales, that value with be reversed.

Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with the V70?  Any reliability issues that I should consider so that I'm not getting rid of one problem with another? Online ratings appear to be very good.

Raza

It's a Volvo, so it should be bulletproof.  I don't know if I'd take it over a 9-5, unless there was a transmission change.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Do you need a premium-brand car? There are better deals to be had than a used $30,000 wagon. What about a new Legacy or even a lightly-used lightly-optioned 2006 325xi?

There's not much to recommend in the V70 IMO. It doesn't do anything particularly well and it's not inexpensive.  

JWC

Well, the Volvo isn't a "driver's car" as is the Saab. The Saab is a joy to drive. But the Saab has a multitude of problems. From oil sludge to SID display problems.  Even installing certain replacement headlamp bulbs  will have an adverse affect on the PCM.

For a wagon, though, I was surprised.  

It would need a bike rack though.

Run Away

I could ask my dad, he's obsessed over one for about 6 years now I think (a volvo wagon), he's joined a forum for them and everything (the only forum he actually reads).

Now that I've got my own car and we rarely have our whole family in the van now, he's much closer to his dream (4 kids, 1 too many for a 5 seater wagon).

TBR

Ben, that is plain hilarous.

Raza

What other alternatives would you consider?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

JWC, you ought to look for an Outback H6.

Run Away

QuoteBen, that is plain hilarous.
:P

He fits the image perfectly...middle aged professor at a small Christian university....

JWC

QuoteDo you need a premium-brand car? There are better deals to be had than a used $30,000 wagon. What about a new Legacy or even a lightly-used lightly-optioned 2006 325xi?

There's not much to recommend in the V70 IMO. It doesn't do anything particularly well and it's not inexpensive.
I'll know more tomorrow about what he wants for it. Keep in mind, the price will be close to wholesale, but then so will the offer on the Saab. One thing I will mention to him tomorrow is that I may trade the Explorer off for the Volvo and sell the Saab  as a private party.

Also, don't forget, I work for a Ford dealer. It is extremely frowned upon to go elsewhere for a car. So, I'm usually at the mercy of whatever gets traded in. This is the best car I've seen in a while that meets my needs.  

(I worked at a GM dealership once that fired a technician after his wife went to a VW dealership and purchased a Passat.)  

ifcar

QuoteDo you need a premium-brand car? There are better deals to be had than a used $30,000 wagon. What about a new Legacy or even a lightly-used lightly-optioned 2006 325xi?

I'll know more tomorrow about what he wants for it. Keep in mind, the price will be close to wholesale, but then so will the offer on the Saab. One thing I will mention to him tomorrow is that I may trade the Explorer off for the Volvo and sell the Saab  as a private party.

Also, don't forget, I work for a Ford dealer. It is extremely frowned upon to go elsewhere for a car. So, I'm usually at the mercy of whatever gets traded in. This is the best car I've seen in a while that meets my needs.  

(I worked at a GM dealership once that fired a technician after his wife went to a VW dealership and purchased a Passat.)
I see.

BTW, I initially misread the "33k" as a price rather than a mileage, so I was looking well above your price range.

I'd still consider a Ford Freestyle over the V70 if nothing better turns up, much more practical for similar cost. Hell, a Focus ZXW would offer the same practicality as a V70, and much less expensive. They don't feel premium of course, even with the leather seating, but arguably as or more fun to drive.  

ifcar

QuoteAlso, don't forget, I work for a Ford dealer. It is extremely frowned upon to go elsewhere for a car.

Would your dealer do a used-car transfer?  

TBR

Yeah, I saw that (though no until after I had made that post).

The Mazda is at a Ford dealer, can you do a transfer of some sort?

TBR

QuoteAlso, don't forget, I work for a Ford dealer. It is extremely frowned upon to go elsewhere for a car.

Would your dealer do a used-car transfer?
Lol

JWC

I see.

BTW, I initially misread the "33k" as a price rather than a mileage, so I was looking well above your price range.

I'd still consider a Ford Freestyle over the V70 if nothing better turns up, much more practical for similar cost. Hell, a Focus ZXW would offer the same practicality as a V70, and much less expensive. They don't feel premium of course, even with the leather seating, but arguably as or more fun to drive.
Funny you should mention the Freestyle.  The wife came by today so I could show her a 500 (as well as the Volvo) and I think she's going to get a Freestyle for her next car, but that's six months or so down the road.

We have a Focus ZXW on the line but I'm not looking for new. I really like the Focus and their realibility for us has been outstanding. Unfortunately, it is too small for my needs. My flash cases fill up the back of the Explorer now.

I told the owner today, that to meet my criteria, the deal would have to be one where the Volvo would be paid off by the end of the year.

ifcar

I see.

Funny you should mention the Freestyle.  The wife came by today so I could show her a 500 (as well as the Volvo) and I think she's going to get a Freestyle for her next car, but that's six months or so down the road.

We have a Focus ZXW on the line but I'm not looking for new. I really like the Focus and their realibility for us has been outstanding. Unfortunately, it is too small for my needs. My flash cases fill up the back of the Explorer now.

I told the owner today, that to meet my criteria, the deal would have to be one where the Volvo would be paid off by the end of the year.
I'd try to fit the case in the Focus, you may be pleasantly surprised. The Focus has 73 cubic feet of cargo space, up 1.5 over the V70, and only down 12 cubic feet from the current Explorer (and most of that volume is height).

JWC

This is an odd dealership. The Volvo will never make it to the sales line. If I don't buy it, a wholesaler will come by to pick it up. He prefers to keep the whole dealership Ford, new and used.  We had a couple of M-B's traded a few years ago, one with 6k on it and the other with 17k. He gave the owners less than wholesale and promptly sold them to a wholesaler.  I've seen Honda Accords come in, two or three years old and only 30k+ miles, and away they went. I considered buying one once, but before I could take a second look at it, the wholesaler had bought it and driven it off the lot.

Probably laughing all  the way.

JWC

It won't fit in my wife's Taurus, so I really don't think that case is going to make it in a Focus.   Maybe a Focus wagon.

ifcar

Your call, obviously. I've just never seen much in the V70.

ifcar

QuoteIt won't fit in my wife's Taurus, so I really don't think that case is going to make it in a Focus.   Maybe a Focus wagon.
I'm pretty sure I said Focus wagon. ;)

And the Taurus does have an irregularly-shaped cargo hold. That could make the difference, though I believe the total volume is similar. You'd better try the V70, too.  

Raza

I like the V70.  But here's one question to ask:  Do you need the car right now?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

QuoteIt won't fit in my wife's Taurus, so I really don't think that case is going to make it in a Focus.   Maybe a Focus wagon.
I'm pretty sure I said Focus wagon. ;)

And the Taurus does have an irregularly-shaped cargo hold. That could make the difference, though I believe the total volume is similar. You'd better try the V70, too.
Sorry, we only have a sedan on the line and when I read your post, that was what was on my mind....especially since I've been attracted to that particular car since I checked it in off the hauler.

ifcar

Your dealership only has one Focus in stock? Wow.  

JWC

QuoteI like the V70.  But here's one question to ask:  Do you need the car right now?
No, that's is one thing in my favor. This is an opportunity that just happened to appear out of nowhere.  

A really decent trade-in is rare. Usually cars like this come in with high miles. We had an Accord wagon traded that was decent, but it had 80k on it and they had actually given the guy a very good price on trade. (Translation, he got killed on the other end.) They had more in it than I was willing to pay.

If this isn't in my favor, big time, then I can tell them to wholesale the Volvo. If that happens, then I'll just sell the Saab, I pretty sure I can get 10k for it easily, and just wait for another decent deal.  

And, as I said, I may still keep the Saab a little longer and get rid of the Explorer....which the more I think about it, is probably the smarter move.

JWC

QuoteYour dealership only has one Focus in stock? Wow.
Yeah, aint' that a kick.   Despite the rise in gas prices, we are still a truck dealership and we can't get rid of a Focus. Everybody still wants an Explorer, F150 Crew, or Escape. But, the 500 is quickly taking over the number 3 spot.

We do have a  3 door on the used line.

J86

It's a real pity your Saab is dieing.  We have a 2000 9-5 SE with over 125k.  I know what you mean about the electrical gremlins..they are maddening!  Sludge has not been an issue though.  Do you have the V6?  Also...any chances on getting the Saab fixed, or is that not an option you want to deal with?

JWC

QuoteIt's a real pity your Saab is dieing.  We have a 2000 9-5 SE with over 125k.  I know what you mean about the electrical gremlins..they are maddening!  Sludge has not been an issue though.  Do you have the V6?  Also...any chances on getting the Saab fixed, or is that not an option you want to deal with?
I have the 2.3T, the notorious one for sludge.  There has been talk that Saab is extending the 2.3 engine warranty to 8/80, but you have to have a complete record of dealership services for them to replace the engine.   Sludge doesn't seem to be a V-6 problem. There is also, according to a letter I just received, an upcoming recall for the ignition cassette. The guys at the Saab forums have been telling me that I should carry one of these $350.00 parts around in the trunk because they die without warning.

And those are the guys that really love Saabs.

JWC

QuoteIt's a real pity your Saab is dieing.  We have a 2000 9-5 SE with over 125k.  I know what you mean about the electrical gremlins..they are maddening!  Sludge has not been an issue though.  Do you have the V6?  Also...any chances on getting the Saab fixed, or is that not an option you want to deal with?
I have the 2.3T, the notorious one for sludge.  There has been talk that Saab is extending the 2.3 engine warranty to 8/80, but you have to have a complete record of dealership services for them to replace the engine.   Sludge doesn't seem to be a V-6 problem. There is also, according to a letter I just received, an upcoming recall for the ignition cassette. The guys at the Saab forums have been telling me that I should carry one of these $350.00 parts around in the trunk because they die without warning.

And those are the guys that really love Saabs.
Oh, that's another thing, my closest Saab dealer is 100 miles away...Volvo is only 25 miles.  Not to mention, I have called the service dept. at the Saab dealer twice, got their voice mail and have never received a call back.  Lousy service.  

J86

Ah, fun fun, I don't blame you for wanting to get while the going is good, the Saab is a fund drive!

The V70 was an option, but the Saab is a much more engaging drive.  For some anecdotal evidence:  a good friend of mine has a black V70 wagon (not sure what year but I think it is an earlier one) and she has had absolutely no issues with it, which is surprising given her auto knowledge.  I've always liked the Swedish cars for whatever reason, but the Saabs really are more fun to drive than the 'vo.