Volvo V70 opinions

Started by JWC, February 01, 2006, 07:32:49 PM

Run Away

What's the issue with the sludge, other than having to do an engine flush everyonce and a while?

You obviously know how to work on cars, and keep them in good running order, I don't see what the issue is.

JWC

QuoteWhat's the issue with the sludge, other than having to do an engine flush everyonce and a while?

You obviously know how to work on cars, and keep them in good running order, I don't see what the issue is.
It seems that this is a crankcase ventilation problem, the sludge appears quickly and clogs up the turbo vents and engine vent box.  There have been three service bulletions from Saab trying to fix this problem and I think they finally gave up.

Flushing the engine seems, according to other owners, to cause more problems than it cures because the trapped sludge is loosened and travels, clogging up more passages and causing engine failure.

Run Away

Yikes.

Rig up a catch can?

Raza

You know where I stand when it comes to cancer--get rid of it.

I say hold on to the Saab a little longer and dump the Explorer.  Would it be possible to trade the Explorer for the V70?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteYour dealership only has one Focus in stock? Wow.
Yeah, aint' that a kick.   Despite the rise in gas prices, we are still a truck dealership and we can't get rid of a Focus. Everybody still wants an Explorer, F150 Crew, or Escape. But, the 500 is quickly taking over the number 3 spot.

We do have a  3 door on the used line.
I can't see there being any problem transferring a new car from another dealership though, right? And if you do buy new, would they let you special-order?

NomisR

Oh no, Volvo wagons.. you're going to be end up with this?

sparkplug

Doesn't ford own volvo. In that case your boss shouldn't complain too much. Of course he might be a jackass.  

cozmik

Your Saab should still be in warranty. In terms of miles, you are definitely still in warranty. Years it would be close, but I would take it into the dealer (or try to) and check that out. The car has very few miles on it, so perhaps it just hasn't been driven enough and that's caused the thick oil. I would also work on getting that extended warranty for the engine that there was talk of. I believe that year was still using semi-synthetic oil, you might switch to fully synthetic. With only 20k odd miles on it, it's still early enough that it could be of benefit. Saab generally recommends Mobil 1 since they stopped importing the Saab oil due to the high costs.

The DI cassette has been a notorious issue ever since Saab came out with it in like the 80's. No one knows why, but they just sucked.

If your father took the Saab to the Saab dealer to be serviced then it should all be in the computer systems and that service history should be able to be pulled from any dealer if that an issue with the warranty btw.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

Champ

If it's of any worth the Saab will most likely get better gas mileage.  Just make sure mobil1 0-40w every 5,000 MAX and you should be fine.  The DIC will be covered in that recall, and the SID is also convered under warranty.

JWC

QuoteIf it's of any worth the Saab will most likely get better gas mileage.  Just make sure mobil1 0-40w every 5,000 MAX and you should be fine.  The DIC will be covered in that recall, and the SID is also convered under warranty.
The "in-service" date on the Saab was November 2000, according the Saab it is out by time.

We ran the numbers today and if I actually get rid of both the Explorer and the Saab for the Volvo, I'll be out of car debt in three months. I paid very little for the Saab and the offer on it almost clears out both car loans. The only thing I'm taking a hit on is the Explorer.  

The Saab is a great car, but with all the gremlins it is exhibiting now, it is as much a frustration to drive as it is a joy. I took it tonight to pick up my daughter from her driver's ed class and the "service alarm system" warning lit up.  The alarm has been sounding for no apparent reason. Which, according to my friends at SaabCentral, is indicative of the alarm module failing. So, it is either fish it out of its hidden corner behind the front bumper to repair the circuit board and/or replace the battery or replace the module...a $400+ part.  According the Saab it is non-serviceable, but there are instructions on-line to split the case and repair it.

Since my bank it in San Antonio, TX (USAA), I'm going to sleep on this over the weekend.  If I decide not to go full-time into photography (see the "what would you do?"  thread in G-T), I can always unload the Volvo for a Fusion at the end of the year.

Thanks for the advice....now, I just have to flip a coin and make a decision.

Raza

Let me troll for a minute...

What about a GTI?  6 speed?  That's a fun car!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

JWC

QuoteLet me troll for a minute...

What about a GTI?  6 speed?  That's a fun car!
My goal for this year is to get reliable transportation and be out of debt by Dec. 1st.   Also, buying something outside of the dealership isn't recommended. Well, that's one goal. Another is to either take my part-time business full-time, or give it up and stay in car dealerships until I retire.

TBR

Why don't you just get rid of the 9-5 and drive the Explorer until you leave the dealer? That way you can get whatever you want. In the meantime I would set aside some each month (what you would be using to make payments on the Volvo).

JWC

QuoteWhy don't you just get rid of the 9-5 and drive the Explorer until you leave the dealer? That way you can get whatever you want. In the meantime I would set aside some each month (what you would be using to make payments on the Volvo).
Thought of that. But, the SOHC engine is beginning to exhibit timing chain guide noise at idle. And the Ford warranty on that ran out last year.

TBR

That is an expensive fix?

JWC

QuoteWhy don't you just get rid of the 9-5 and drive the Explorer until you leave the dealer? That way you can get whatever you want. In the meantime I would set aside some each month (what you would be using to make payments on the Volvo).
Thought of that. But, the SOHC engine is beginning to exhibit timing chain guide noise at idle. And the Ford warranty on that ran out last year.
When it rains, it pours.

I'm actually in a pretty good spot. The offer on the Saab was better than I thought it would be, almost what I was going to private party it at.  Being able to unload two potential problems and get out of car debt in three months is appealing.  

Of course, I talked to the wife about this at lunch today. She said do what ever I want, but rolled her eyes when I said, "well, I could always buy a project car later".  ;)

I've been wanting to restore another VW Bug or a Triumph roadster.  

JWC

QuoteThat is an expensive fix?
It can be. To get to the rear guides you have to pull the engine. Especially if one of the bolts break....which they usually do.

Raza

They have used GTIs, JWC!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

QuoteThey have used GTIs, JWC!
Not on my lot. :lol:  

Raza

Oh well.  It's a loss for humanity, I suppose.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JWC

Sucks working for a car dealership sometimes...a lot of the time. :D

You do get to drive a lot of different cars everyday though.    

JYODER240

Sucks working for a car dealership sometimes...a lot of the time. :D

You do get to drive a lot of different cars everyday though.
Very true.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

Champ

Not sure what to tell ya, I just love that engine so much.  So torque-y and powerfull, and not much beats it on the highway.  I'd be hard pressed to drop mine for anything less than a S60 R (if we are talking volvo).

Champ

Also remembered, keep in mind that if you buy another car - especially used - it can also have problems that may or may not be worse than the ones you have on your current car.

JWC

QuoteAlso remembered, keep in mind that if you buy another car - especially used - it can also have problems that may or may not be worse than the ones you have on your current car.
Very true, but that was one reason for the thread. Except for an issue with turn signal bulbs and sockets, I haven't really found anyone with a major complaint on the Volvo.  Ford must not be as involved with Volvo as GM is with Saab. ;)  

ifcar

I'm pretty sure the 9-5 was designed completely without GM's help.  

JWC

QuoteI'm pretty sure the 9-5 was designed completely without GM's help.
Could be, but the general opinion is that quality has gone down since GM took over. I've also noticed that the shape of the 9-5 is very similar to some other GM models. Must be some corporate ID thing.

ifcar

Which GM model would that be? :blink:

Colonel Cadillac

The new 9^5 looks like no other car on the road.  

JWC

QuoteWhich GM model would that be? :blink:
I'd have to be on the look out for one to tell you. Whenever I see one, I think, "hey, there's another Saab", but it turns out to have a Chevy emblem on the grille.

May be the Impala.