2021 Mazda CX-5

Started by Morris Minor, December 15, 2020, 03:54:55 PM

Laconian

I develop an irrational fear of random power outages whenever I flash firmware.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 02, 2023, 12:36:17 PM

When tuning an ECU it's recommended to put the battery on a tender/charger. I'd maybe do the same for updating the infotainment.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Lol my stereo had an update early on that got stuck on 100% for 10+ minutes. I waited for it but people who power cycled they're had to send them in!!!?!?!?!!!!
Will

AutobahnSHO

Totally NOT irrational!
Will

Morris Minor

You have to do do this with the ignition in Accessory mode, which normally has a timeout countdown to shut off after a few minutes. The timer is disabled for the duration of the update process.

Initial impression is that it's much snappier jumping into CarPlay and resuming where it left off after fueling stops/potty breaks. Time will tell what new bugs have been introduced.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

MrH

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 02, 2023, 12:47:46 PM
When tuning an ECU it's recommended to put the battery on a tender/charger. I'd maybe do the same for updating the infotainment.

Subaru just tells you to run the car the entire time.  Neighbors probably wonder what I'm doing every few months leaving the car running for 15-20 minutes in the driveway.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on January 03, 2023, 07:39:53 AM
Subaru just tells you to run the car the entire time.  Neighbors probably wonder what I'm doing every few months leaving the car running for 15-20 minutes in the driveway.

Every. Few. Months? :confused:
Will

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 03, 2023, 02:58:30 PM
Every. Few. Months? :confused:

The Outback infotainment has been an adventure to say the least :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Not irrational.

Hell, there have been Rockwell firmware changes that have bricked $10,000 controllers and shut down lines.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MrH on January 03, 2023, 03:14:57 PM
The Outback infotainment has been an adventure to say the least :lol:

That's wild, they should work on fixes and do at most an update every quarter/ 6 months/ or year.....
Will

MrH

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on January 03, 2023, 08:35:37 PM
That's wild, they should work on fixes and do at most an update every quarter/ 6 months/ or year.....

I guess every few months is a bit of an exaggeration.  There have been 7 updates since I got the car 3 years ago, and an 8th should be coming here soon.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Morris Minor

I found a bug. That didn't take long, did it?

• You're parked & you set a route in Google or Apple Maps.
  • You back out of the space - screen goes to rear camera.
  • Put it in Drive to to begin the journey.
  • New feature is screen returns to CarPlay home screen, instead of the map app.
🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷 🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷 🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷 🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 04, 2023, 09:23:40 AM
I found a bug. That didn't take long, did it?

• You're parked & you set a route in Google or Apple Maps.
  • You back out of the space - screen goes to rear camera.
  • Put it in Drive to to begin the journey.
  • New feature is screen returns to CarPlay home screen, instead of the map app.
🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷 🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷 🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷 🐛 🦟 🐛 🕷

DOH
Will

Morris Minor

OEM tires are horrible: 22,000 miles and they are down to the wear bars. We don't even drive aggressively.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 18, 2023, 05:14:31 AMOEM tires are horrible: 22,000 miles and they are down to the wear bars. We don't even drive aggressively.

Is there a tire warranty?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 18, 2023, 05:14:31 AMOEM tires are horrible: 22,000 miles and they are down to the wear bars. We don't even drive aggressively.

Sounds about right. OE tires always seem to wear out extra quick. Pretty sure OE-spec tires come with shallower tread depth.

Morris Minor

Okay - new tires are on: 4 X Michelin CrossClimate2. Rides quieter, feels much better & more planted.

Morris Minor

Tire pressures were all over the place. How many extra seconds does it take tire fitters to at least get the PSIs in the same ZIP code?

RomanChariot

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 29, 2023, 09:16:47 AMTire pressures were all over the place. How many extra seconds does it take tire fitters to at least get the PSIs in the same ZIP code?

I like the tire shop that I go to but on my wife's Pilot they always set the tire pressure 5psi high. They don't seem to do that with our other cars so it must be something wrong in their system. At least they always set all 4 tires to the same pressure.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 29, 2023, 09:16:47 AMTire pressures were all over the place. How many extra seconds does it take tire fitters to at least get the PSIs in the same ZIP code?

Lolz
Will

Eye of the Tiger

It's hard. It takes at least an extra 90 seconds to set the tire pressures.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

r0tor

That is not going to buff out
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

FoMoJo

I'd be curious about what quotes are for the repair.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Morris Minor

I had a look behind the bumper skin and the crush can is undamaged (airbags did not pop obv) so hopefully nothing structural. But it needs a new hood, bumper, fender, headlight, & grill at the very least.

Laconian

Eeek. Sorry to see it. Is your shop up to the task of matching the paint? I've heard that the fancy mirror flake coats are a little tough to do right.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Laconian on October 24, 2023, 05:44:43 PMEeek. Sorry to see it. Is your shop up to the task of matching the paint? I've heard that the fancy mirror flake coats are a little tough to do right.

That Mazda red sure is pretty though
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

Seriously LOVE soul red.

Considering it if I ever get Scrappy painted.
Will

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on October 24, 2023, 05:44:43 PMEeek. Sorry to see it. Is your shop up to the task of matching the paint? I've heard that the fancy mirror flake coats are a little tough to do right.
I've asked for estimates from two shops. One is that on the insurance company's list, the other is a Mazda-approved shop closer into Atlanta. I'll start asking questions about the paint when I get the estimates.

The Soul Red is great an elicits lots of comments but it is infamously thin and brittle, there are several tiny chips exposing the undercoat in the hood already. It does not compare well to the Infiniti, which is 11 years older.