Rivian

Started by CaminoRacer, January 29, 2021, 11:12:20 PM

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on October 05, 2023, 08:47:18 AMSo is 2 miles/KW good?  Last I checked, most EV cars are over 50% better than that.  50% more consumption means 50% more charging and 50% more headaches with charging.

Did you note he was talking about 77 mph? Efficiency drops rapidly with speed. I can get 4.5 miles/kWh in my Bolt at 60, 3.8 at 70 and only 2.5 at 80. The fact that he said it "rips" means he wasn't driving efficiently at all and was kind of hooning it around and having fun. Even fuel efficient gas cars get worse mileage when you drive fast and accelerate hard everywhere. Whoda thunk it?
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

r0tor

Quote from: ChrisV on October 05, 2023, 10:16:35 AMDid you note he was talking about 77 mph? Efficiency drops rapidly with speed. I can get 4.5 miles/kWh in my Bolt at 60, 3.8 at 70 and only 2.5 at 80. The fact that he said it "rips" means he wasn't driving efficiently at all and was kind of hooning it around and having fun. Even fuel efficient gas cars get worse mileage when you drive fast and accelerate hard everywhere. Whoda thunk it?

I cruise at 75-80 going to work.  Is 77mph supposedly excessive by some definition?

C&D got 230 miles at 75mph out of 135kwh battery.  That's 1.7 miles per KWh.  For your Bolt C&D got 190 miles at 75mph.  Thats 3.2 miles per KWh. 

Imagine your Bolt ownership if it literally took 2x longet to charge - how would that change things for you?  When 6hrs on a home charger becomes 12 or 1hr at a supercharger becomes 2 to go the same distance.

Imagine your bolt taking
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

A couple of weeks ago I was driving up US-101 in California and saw this Porsche in the mid-distance. As a 'SPINner you know how you subconsciously register a car that might be a bit interesting. It was a few cars ahead and never budged out of the center lane, just tooling along right at the marked speed limit, which is highly unusual for a Porsche.

As we got closer to the city I got a bit closer and thought, "Christ, those are skinny tires for a Porsche, and what's with all the aero add-ons underneath?" Then the penny dropped; it was an Ioniq 6. And I'm guessing he was sticking to 65mph and maintaining his miles/kWh somewhere in the excellent range.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

They're very handsome vehicles IMO.

But what I know now, I wouldn't touch one nor recommend them- they may not be around in 5 yrs.....
Will

veeman

I drove a cousin's Rivian R1S in a suburb of Chicago for 15 minutes last weekend. Local mostly empty roads.  I don't know what configuration he got it in.  Gorgeous "Rivian Blue" color. 

Even though he makes too much money to qualify for the federal tax rebate, he got the rebate because when he put the deposit on it, there were no income limits. I'm not sure how that works because he took delivery of it last month but whatever. 

He wanted to impress me with its fast acceleration but I told him I wasn't impressed with that much to his humorous chagrin. I told him I was used to fast acceleration with my Kia EV6 and most EV are super fast.  I also told him I wasn't impressed with the stereo as I'm not an audiophile. When I'm test driving a car I don't want to listen to music.  I want to hear what the NVH of the car is like.

Interior is nothing special. It's nice and all but not anything better than any other 70 plus grand SUV.  Ride is fantastic.  Little NVH which is great. Really great looking large SUV on the outside.

Apparently this SUV is really good off road too.

If I was in the market for an electric 3 row SUV, I'd consider it but I'd probably instead get a Kia EV9 because it's about 15 to 20 grand cheaper and I wouldn't be off-roading it.

SJ_GTI

IIRC what he is saying is true about the rebate. I don't think it was necessary to put a down payment down, you just had to have prove that you ordered it prior to the new rules taking place. Putting a down payment on something of course is a very good way to show that something has indeed been ordered though.