Wrecked my Tacoma this afternoon...

Started by MaxPower, February 03, 2006, 07:00:31 PM

TBR

QuoteRisking your life while backing out of the garage? :D

Seriously, it's not worth risking anything to gab while driving. No call is that urgent.
I wouldn't go that far, but as I stated in my original post, very few calls are.

Colonel Cadillac

Plus, there was no mark on the Audi (which is important) and the dent on the Volvo my parents will never notice because there are so many others. Even if they did notice, I could just say my sister did it and they would believe me and not her :devil:  

ifcar

"I wouldn't go that far, but as I stated in my original post, very few calls are."

Very few? What call is so important that you can't even stop driving for a minute to deal with it?

I stand by "none".

Colonel Cadillac

To disprove iffy:
For example, you are on the way to the hospital because your wife chopped her finger off while cooking. You called the Doctor earlier for advice, he is calling you back.  

TBR

Quote"I wouldn't go that far, but as I stated in my original post, very few calls are."

Very few? What call is so important that you can't even stop driving for a minute to deal with it?

I stand by "none".
First thing that pops into my mind: A pregnant wife who suddenly begins to deliver your first born.

ifcar

When you're driving your fingerless wife to the hospital, you have my blessing to use your cell. ;)

Raza

QuoteGlad your ok..as you know i had an experience with a tree...head on....

when you get into a crash situation your mind slows everything down and makes it seem like a dream..i didnt believe i had wrecked for about 10 mins...

I had a couple dreams replaying the event for a couple nights...i woke up screaming once because i just kept crashing over and over in my sleep
Was this part of the fence incident or something else?
Fence incident was #2.
fuck you...the tree/fence was # 1...the other was only a fucking scratch
Don't sweat it, I was backing out of the garage in the Audi yesterday and hit the Volvo because I was talking on my phone and relying on the parktronic to tell me how close I was (of course, it didn't start beeping until I had already hit the Volvo).
Wow...I believe you just unseated FOL as the dumbass of the board.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

Sorry to hear that, but its great to hear youre OK.  I'll be on the lookout for truck deals :)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

mazda6er

QuoteDon't sweat it, I was backing out of the garage in the Audi yesterday and hit the Volvo because I was talking on my phone and relying on the parktronic to tell me how close I was (of course, it didn't start beeping until I had already hit the Volvo).
But at least he looked tres chic while doing it.  ;)  (I mean c'mon man, on a cell phone...in an Audi...probably palming the wheel...while wearing sunglasses. Women would have been ripping their clothes off if they could have seen this accident. :P)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SaltyDog

QuoteDon't sweat it, I was backing out of the garage in the Audi yesterday and hit the Volvo because I was talking on my phone and relying on the parktronic to tell me how close I was (of course, it didn't start beeping until I had already hit the Volvo).
But at least he looked tres chic while doing it.  ;)  (I mean c'mon man, on a cell phone...in an Audi...probably palming the wheel...while wearing sunglasses. Women would have been ripping their clothes off if they could have seen this accident. :P)
Nice :lol:  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

MaxPower

added pics, see first post at beginning of thread

TBR

Quoteadded pics, see first post at beginning of thread
Nasty.

Reminds me of when Troy totaled his RSX. Though it is interesting that most of the damage seems to be in the midsection, with the front and rear look almost untouched.

footoflead

QuoteGlad your ok..as you know i had an experience with a tree...head on....

when you get into a crash situation your mind slows everything down and makes it seem like a dream..i didnt believe i had wrecked for about 10 mins...

I had a couple dreams replaying the event for a couple nights...i woke up screaming once because i just kept crashing over and over in my sleep
Was this part of the fence incident or something else?
Fence incident was #2.
fuck you...the tree/fence was # 1...the other was only a fucking scratch
Don't sweat it, I was backing out of the garage in the Audi yesterday and hit the Volvo because I was talking on my phone and relying on the parktronic to tell me how close I was (of course, it didn't start beeping until I had already hit the Volvo).
No....that honor still goes to rag..even though he's not around anymore (he was just that retarted)
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

*just saw the pics*

Wow..you really lucked out...glad your okay

Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Laconian

But at least he looked tres chic while doing it.  ;)  (I mean c'mon man, on a cell phone...in an Audi...probably palming the wheel...while wearing sunglasses.
Sounds like you're getting pretty worked up over it yourself.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

But at least he looked tres chic while doing it.  ;)  (I mean c'mon man, on a cell phone...in an Audi...probably palming the wheel...while wearing sunglasses.
Sounds like you're getting pretty worked up over it yourself.
Haha!  That's quite good Laconian, quite good.

:clap:

In any case, [arrogance]I'm the greatest driver in the world[/arrogance] and I still won't use a cell phone in the garage.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

That sucks.  Thank goodness you weren't hurt.  By the looks of it you could have been.

FlatBlackCaddy

QuoteI was driving by myself in my 2000 Tacoma on a small backroad this afternoon in heavy rain.  I came up to a heavily graveled intersection and lost it.  Basically what happened was that I hit the breaks to stop, the rear wheels locked up and skidded, and before I was able to steer into the skid my front end dropped off the edge of the pavement into a 10-12 inch deep ditch.  The truck rolled over, eventually coming to a rest 1.75 revolutions later on the driver's side.

I'm unhurt, just a sore neck and back.  Those aches should clear up within a day or two, I certainly was lucky.  I wasn't going more than 30 when I lost it, so it was a relatively low-speed accident.  I suppose driver inexperience was the cause; it certainly was my fault.  The intersection was so heavily sanded that the pavement was almost totally covered, and with the pouring rain it was slick as ice.  I'm normally a prudent driver and  I wasn't doing anything reckless, it was just an unlucky accident I suppose.  I've always known that heavily graveled intersections are dangerous, now I know from experience.  It was my first accident, and it was quite the surreal experience.

The insurance company probably won't look at it until next week.  From what the mechanic who picked it up said it's probably going to be declared totaled.  He's been my family's mechanic for years so I trust him, which means I'm in the market for a new (used) truck.  I loved that truck and it sucks to see it wrecked, but I came out unscathed, so it did it's duty by protecting me.

Bottom line: I'm o.k., I probably need a new truck.

I'm going to the garage to get pictures tomorrow or Sunday, so of course I'll post them when I get them.

:(

EDIT:  Added pics...

Atleast your OK.

And FYI there is no such thing as a accident, sorry to give you shit.

Anyway just looking at the pic(my father has been repairing wrecks for years, i've been going to aucitons and buying vehicles with him for probobly 8 years). That truck is easily totaled. I'd probobly start looking for something ASAP, unless you want to buy it back and fix it.

Anyway its good that your OK, i've been in some wrecks and i've been real lucky, coming away with just minor pain and a few scrapes.

Colonel Cadillac

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, it's an Audi station wagon. If it was a new Range Rover, your story would be pretty close :praise:  

280Z Turbo

J86

That sucks man.  I'm driving a truck nearly Identical than that (ext. cab), same toolbox and everything this week...good to know its safe at least!  

Wow, that roof came close to your head.  you're a lucky man!

cawimmer430

That sucks. Sorry to hear about this.  :(  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MaxPower

And FYI there is no such thing as a accident, sorry to give you shit.

I'm kinda surprised it took so long for a comment of that sort....I was expecting more comments like that.

BRealistic

Wow-glad you are ok.

That is why I got rid of my Ranger/Mazda- since my head was almost against the headliner. That just made me worried about a rollover- though I am sure your head is not against the headliner when the vehicle is moving that way.

And let's all give Toyota a big cheers for not making at least rear wheel ABS standard on all of their trucks until just recently. :clap:

Note- all domestics trucks have had at least rear wheel ABS since the late 80s. Heck, even Mazda did. And my 88 F-150 still has working rear wheel ABS- since I already activated it in a panic stop.

Good job Toyota.

:rockon:  

93JC

QuoteNote- all domestics trucks have had at least rear wheel ABS since the late 80s.
... as an option.

BRealistic

QuoteNote- all domestics trucks have had at least rear wheel ABS since the late 80s.
... as an option.
No. Standard.

Which 1989 domestic truck did not have rear wheel ABS standard?

thewizard16

... as an option.
No. Standard.

A better thought is, how well do they work? The ABS on the Dakota I have (94) is completely useless. It kicks in when you don't expect, doesn't kick in when you do, and is only moderately successful when it does. I've had it looked at and they replaced a bunch of things until the system was basically new, so it's not the truck. Another annoyance is that if ONE fuse blows, the whole ABS system malfunctions and doesn't kick in when it is supposed to. This is not a very smart idea. My 92 Camry has ABS that is on several fuses, not dependent on one.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

BRealistic

... as an option.
No. Standard.

A better thought is, how well do they work? The ABS on the Dakota I have (94) is completely useless. It kicks in when you don't expect, doesn't kick in when you do, and is only moderately successful when it does. I've had it looked at and they replaced a bunch of things until the system was basically new, so it's not the truck. Another annoyance is that if ONE fuse blows, the whole ABS system malfunctions and doesn't kick in when it is supposed to. This is not a very smart idea. My 92 Camry has ABS that is on several fuses, not dependent on one.
And.....?

So not having rear wheel ABS  standard on a light in the rear pickup is better than having it that after ten years it may need service? I fail to see your point, especially since his model year 2000 did not have ABS.

Either safety matters, or it does not. The domestic put standard rear wheel ABS on their truck a long time ago, because it made a real world difference. But this difference doesn't show up in NHTSA or IIHS testing. I guess the tests are all that matter in real world safety, so the manufacturers should only design for those tests.

93JC

... as an option.
No. Standard.

The GM S-series trucks had rear-wheel ABS and all Fords had full ABS, but other than that, as late as the early-'90s the Ram 50, Ram, Dakota, Comanche and C/K-series did not have ABS as standard equipment.

93JC

At least, that was the case up here. Now that I think about it you guys probably had all sorts of junk added as standard equipment which we never got (stuff like those automatic retracting seat belts come to mind). To this day we don't even require air bags as standard equipment.  :lol: