If you drive a Dodge Challenger, its likely you're a Nazi

Started by Soup DeVille, September 16, 2021, 06:57:10 PM

Soup DeVille

Man, one of my dream vehicles is an old Mack R-model, probably converted to a camper or something. I can't imagine how much of a DP that makes me.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

With regard to the original article's premise: my neighbor is Mexican and he drives a black Challenger with (sensibly sized) chrome wheels.

IMO Challengers are an aesthetic, not a statement.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: GoCougs on September 17, 2021, 12:13:07 PM
Any sort of truck modification - tires, lift, flags, window stickers, exhaust - is an 80%+ guarantee of a Damaged Person.

There are plenty of DPs that rage in non-modified trucks too. The biggest signpost there is diesel, with a ~50% hit rate. I've noticed that mid-size (esp. Tacoma and Colorado) owners are now entering the rage fray (much lower though not insignificant - say 10-20% hit rate).

I think automakers know the deep psychological problems that accompany the demographic but they just don't give a shit for obviou$ reasons.

I'm literally about to put a 3" lift and 35" tires on my truck  :lol: :lol: :lol:
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2021, 12:21:06 PM
Man, one of my dream vehicles is an old Mack R-model, probably converted to a camper or something. I can't imagine how much of a DP that makes me.

There is something strangely compelling about those semi's with extended sleepers (shower + kitchen)...I jokingly asked my wife if, after the kids move out, she'd like to become a long haul trucker with me and she immediately replied "yes".

Submariner

Quote from: CaminoRacer on September 17, 2021, 12:17:17 PM
I think it's fun to drive big vehicles, same way that kids love big tonka trucks and stuff.  But they're way overkill for commuting to an office. My office parking lot is full of massive luxury trucks. It's the modern day version of the massive BOF sedans they used to sell, IMO.

I think that's the primary driver behind big trucks (but the douche-bro factor is definitely a part too).

Americans like big cars, but cars aren't that big anymore.  Even a LWB Mercedes S-class would have been a midsizer in the 60's or 70's.  An F150 crew cab is a proper big car (truck).

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on September 17, 2021, 01:09:57 PM
There is something strangely compelling about those semi's with extended sleepers (shower + kitchen)...I jokingly asked my wife if, after the kids move out, she'd like to become a long haul trucker with me and she immediately replied "yes".

The only thing that seems even remotely fun about trucking anymore would be private car delivery, which is often farmed out on websites- so you could decide what loads you wanted and when.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 17, 2021, 01:27:32 PM
The only thing that seems even remotely fun about trucking anymore would be private car delivery, which is often farmed out on websites- so you could decide what loads you wanted and when.

Also at what temperature the loads should be. Incidentally, I wonder how redbloodedamerican is doing.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

So Jalopnik saying Challenger drivers are clowns is :

Quote from: GoCougs on September 16, 2021, 09:27:48 PM
Jalopnik is absolute junk. Plus, this piece on so many goddamned levels - technical, emotional, factual, hateful - is a joke.

As with Sub, my more-than-anecdotal evidence is that it (and its cousin, the Charger) is a very popular vehicle with non-White folk.

But GoCougs saying:

Quote from: GoCougs on September 17, 2021, 12:13:07 PM
Any sort of truck modification - tires, lift, flags, window stickers, exhaust - is an 80%+ guarantee of a Damaged Person.

Is factual unbiased information? I am pretty sure we are measuring with 2 different standards here.

P.S. I have a feeling a large number of lifted/diesel truck owners are also Challenger owners.  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Submariner on September 17, 2021, 01:09:57 PM

Only problem is you see nothing but loading docks, highway, and truck stops. You're so busy meeting deadline you can't stop to see anything.
Will

ChrisV

Quote from: r0tor on September 17, 2021, 05:32:30 AM
It's not fast, it has shitty mileage, it's not sporty, it's not comfortable, it's large and yet has no room, the interior is a trainwreck but yet it's not cheap either.  The ZF 8 speed should be good - but they stopped tuning it 13 years ago so it's not.  The engine should be overwhelming - but they stopped developing it 20 years ago so it's not.

It's a complete poser of a car and shares that trait with the 95th percentile owner.

Wow. Sometimes I wonder about coming back here. Yolu've made about as ignorant a statement as the damn article. If you believe the drivel you just wrote, you're worse than I remember.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

GoCougs

Agree. The Challenger is really a (the only) legit muscle car these days, esp. as the Camaro and Mustang have long ago moved well beyond muscle/pony cars into legit sports cars.

The Challenger is comfortable, usable, and can be had with wide range of performance, including numerous V8 options.

It's easy to see why it's been so popular.