Toyota Mirai review

Started by Laconian, November 20, 2021, 06:42:19 PM

Laconian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgIj2XTSBuQ

I was thinking "wow, how much does the fuel cell stack and all that crap weigh?" Turns out it's a heck of a lot less than a battery! Ride quality is reportedly better than BEVs.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Hydrogen Fuel-Cell vehicles to me are a much better solution to me than the pure BEV vehicle.

Smaller battery (which means less precious earths are needed), potentially less weight than a pure BEV, quicker refueling, longer and above all more stable ranges than a BEV. I believe Platin is the only real rare earth that Fuel-Cell vehicles need in order for the electrolyte process to function effectively.

Yeah, I know... we gotta produce hydrogen which is currently energy intensive, it's gotta be stored in special tanks under tremendous pressure and the overall efficiency of the whole production of hydrogen and energy losses to getting it to the consumer is around 15-30%...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

A BEV can be fueled from home though. Having a full "tank of gas" after every departure from my house would be a huge convenience win for me. A hydrogen car would still have the same downside of having to visit a gas station every N miles.

A friend of mine asked for car recs, and I had to tell him that EVs wouldn't make much sense for him (he rents).
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2021, 09:46:38 PM
A BEV can be fueled from home though. Having a full "tank of gas" after every departure from my house would be a huge convenience win for me. A hydrogen car would still have the same downside of having to visit a gas station every N miles.

A friend of mine asked for car recs, and I had to tell him that EVs wouldn't make much sense for him (he rents).

Not everyone has a garage. Also, trips to the gas station are fun. I met my first wife there... j/k :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on November 20, 2021, 06:42:19 PM
I was thinking "wow, how much does the fuel cell stack and all that crap weigh?" Turns out it's a heck of a lot less than a battery! Ride quality is reportedly better than BEVs.

Sprung weight can actually help with ride quality. Most of the current EVs just have sport suspensions with stiffer ride.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

FoMoJo

Much better looking than most Toyotas.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

It would be a baleen whale if the grille was vertically oriented.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Morris Minor

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on November 22, 2021, 03:06:35 PM
It would be a baleen whale if the grille was vertically oriented.
Filter feeding on hydrogen plankton.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Morris Minor on November 23, 2021, 05:12:36 AM
Filter feeding on hydrogen plankton.

It must migrate thousands of miles to refill its fuel tank.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)