What's in Your Car?

Started by JWC, January 04, 2022, 04:24:01 PM

JWC

On photo forums there is usually thread asking, "what's in your bag". Besides cameras. the thread offers hints about what we kept in the bag for "just in case". 

In the EV thread we were talking about being stuck in snow on a highway. I began to wonder, what, if anything, you have in your car for emergencies.

I have tools of course. There is storage under the cargo floor of the C/T where I keep tools. There are side compartments too under the cargo floor.

I have:

a first aid kit.
a mylar emergency thermal blanket
binoculars (I don't know why, but my Nikon binoculars are always stored under the floor of the car).
emergency triangles
flash lights
Tacklife air compressor
Tacklife booster/usb charger

I think I might add a fire starting device as well.

What's in your car? or what would you recommend for on the road emergencies?

Soup DeVille

A tool kit
a first aid kit (actually two because one came with the car)
An AR-7; 100 rds of ammo
a fire extinguisher
A spare set of boots and socks, and gloves
three pairs of sunglasses
a water bottle
two ice scrapers
A blanket
a little bottle of hand sanitizer
a little bag with tape, a lighter, some fuses and other odds and ends.
and one of those things of wipes for wiping down the interior
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

The tiny cubby of my MX5:
A little envelope containing my registration and insurance info
Driving gloves I never wear
Spare sunglasses
An energy bar

The trunk:
A fix-a-flat kit
The manual

Yeah, I basically maxxed out my storage space. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

FoMoJo

A box with odds and ends of cleaning materials, glass cleaner, etc., seldom used
A case of bottled water, almost depleted
A couple of boxes of kleenex
A small bottle of hand sanitizer
Half a gallon? of windshield washer fluid
A half dozen surgical masks hanging off the turn indicator stalk
Ice scraper (I think) better check
A small purse with some random coins
A bottle of hand moisturizer (my wife's)
That's about it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

First Aid Kid (required by law here and it also needs to be replaced every two years - and you have to pay for it...)

2 x 6-Pack of Sparkling Water (always carry water in my car because photo shoots are exhausting and make you thirsty)

A blanket (for wrapping my tripods around so they won't scratch the trunk compartment)

That's it. Maybe I need to store some cashew/walnut packages in my car just in case I ever get stuck in a snowstorm.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2022, 05:24:38 PM
Spare sunglasses
An energy bar

The trunk:
A fix-a-flat kit
The manual

That's it?

I wonder if some of my "need" of having emergency item in the car is based on living during an era where there no cell phones.

After the Virginia I95 snowpocalypse  I was thinking maybe a small tent....though come to think of it I have a new tarp in the car also. I wasn't going to keep it in the car, but it has never been out of the package and it will easily store under a seat.

I believe if I'd been stuck in my car for hours, I'd been out looking for firewood. I've spent the night in icy snowy conditions before.

JWC

Quote from: cawimmer430 on January 04, 2022, 05:53:36 PM
First Aid Kid (required by law here and it also needs to be replaced every two years - and you have to pay for it...)

2 x 6-Pack of Sparkling Water (always carry water in my car because photo shoots are exhausting and make you thirsty)

A blanket (for wrapping my tripods around so they won't scratch the trunk compartment)

That's it. Maybe I need to store some cashew/walnut packages in my car just in case I ever get stuck in a snowstorm.  :lol:

I used to take snacks with me on location. I was shooting humans and sometimes they need an energy boost. I keep a monopod in the car. Works great for a steady camera---and a walking stick.

Laconian

Quote from: JWC on January 04, 2022, 05:54:50 PM
That's it?

I wonder if some of my "need" of having emergency item in the car is based on living during an era where there no cell phones.

After the Virginia I95 snowpocalypse  I was thinking maybe a small tent....though come to think of it I have a new tarp in the car also. I wasn't going to keep it in the car, but it has never been out of the package and it will easily store under a seat.

I believe if I'd been stuck in my car for hours, I'd been out looking for firewood. I've spent the night in icy snowy conditions before.

I don't drive my Miata in marginal weather. It's a garage queen and I always have a cell phone with me.

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2022, 06:16:35 PM
I don't drive my Miata in marginal weather. It's a garage queen and I always have a cell phone with me.

I really don't have the patience to wait for someone to come get me.

I will say that my cars which were only were driven weekends, got the emergency treatment too. Cars I don't drive but a few times a month tend to break down more for me. But, that was back a when I regularly owned cars that were 30-40 years old at the time.

Also, you never know what you'll come across. March 11, 2019, my wife and I were directly behind a VW sedan that made a hard right and crashed into the woods outside of Durham. We were the first and only one of two cars to stop and help the young woman. Unfortunately, she died on impact.

CaminoRacer

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2022, 05:24:38 PM
Spare sunglasses
An energy bar

The trunk:
A fix-a-flat kit
The manual

Did you know there is a cubby behind each seat too? Gotta tilt them forward to access it.
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Laconian

Quote from: CaminoRacer on January 04, 2022, 06:58:45 PM
Did you know there is a cubby behind each seat too? Gotta tilt them forward to access it.

Wow, I didn't know that! I only have a cubby behind the passenger seat. Maybe the PRHT shit is behind the driver.

Eye of the Tiger

Jeep has...

Jeep owner's manual
Book with registration and insurance
Flashlight
Spare change
#2 pencil
Bic lighter
Red shop rag
Tire pressure gauge
Ice scraper/snow brush
Pack of disposable face masks
Pair of leather gloves
Pair of jersey gloves
Morakniv with 4-inch blade
Bag with tools and spare parts
Bag with tow straps, shackles, tie downs, etc.
Waterproof blanket
3 reusable grocery bags
A pint of Laird's Applejack (for emergencies)
Scissor jack
4-way lug wrench
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

JWC

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 04, 2022, 07:24:33 PM
Jeep has…

Jeep owner’s manual
Book with registration and insurance
Flashlight
Spare change
#2 pencil
Bic lighter
Red shop rag
Tire pressure gauge
Ice scraper/snow brush
Pack of disposable face masks
Pair of leather gloves
Pair of jersey gloves
Morakniv with 4-inch blade
Bag with tools and spare parts
Bag with tow straps, shackles, tie downs, etc.
Waterproof blanket
3 reusable grocery bags
A pint of Laird’s Applejack (for emergencies)
Scissor jack
4-way lug wrench

I think the FBI calls a lot of that a "murder kit".

I remember selling paper overalls at Scherba's for roadside repairs so your clothes are protected.

The 4-way lug wrench is a very good idea. I keep one in the Honda. (I also have a torque wrench. I don't know, so don't ask).

JWC

Quote from: Laconian on January 04, 2022, 07:15:53 PM
Wow, I didn't know that! I only have a cubby behind the passenger seat. Maybe the PRHT shit is behind the driver.

I have this picture in my head of you running out to the car to check it out.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on January 04, 2022, 07:31:50 PM
I think the FBI calls a lot of that a "murder kit".

I remember selling paper overalls at Scherba's for roadside repairs so your clothes are protected.

The 4-way lug wrench is a very good idea. I keep one in the Honda. (I also have a torque wrench. I don't know, so don't ask).

Murder kit? I didn't even mention specifically what was in my tie down bag... :lol:

JWC

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 04, 2022, 07:37:23 PM
Murder kit? I didn't even mention specifically what was in my tie down bag... :lol:

Well, at least you didn't have duct tape.

Laconian

Quote from: JWC on January 04, 2022, 07:34:43 PM
I have this picture in my head of you running out to the car to check it out.

Yep, I had to unlock the car and everything. :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: JWC on January 04, 2022, 07:46:35 PM
Well, at least you didn't have duct tape.

I actually don't. I do have lots of electric tape, though.

shp4man

Many cars have secret storage spaces for.....whatever. The old air cooled Beetle had space under the passenger footwell we used to stash pot in when I was a kid. The NC Miata has a similar spot in the trunk, under a door to the jack storage area. But there are no empty vodka bottles in my car. Never have been.  :huh:

JWC

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 04, 2022, 08:52:47 PM
I actually don't. I do have lots of electric tape, though.

Well, the electrical tape is better for---you know. Just don't use the same knife every time you cut it, the tape, pulling it till it snaps is much better. A knife will leave a pattern that can lead _________(insert name of agency) to have physical evidence that may incriminate you.

veeman

My car (Veloster) which I rarely take for any long trips (only if I am going alone): Dash cam, cell phone holder and charger, sunglasses (the kind that fit over prescription regular glasses), sugar free chewing gum, work ID, registration and insurance cards (auto, medical, dental, optometry), pens, coin change, raincoat, ice scraper (in the winter), and whatever came with the car (jack, donut tire, etc). 

Wife's/Family car (Infiniti QX56): the above plus whole bunch of stuff my wife carries around most of which I consider useless junk, lots of water bottles most of which are half consumed, umbrellas, cigarette lighter socket powered air compressor tire inflator, jumper cables, and whatever came with the car (first aid kit, jack, spare tire, etc). 

Our cell phones have a pretty decent flash light.  I used to carry around a small pocket knife on my key chain but it was a hassle as I always forgot it was there when going through security at a govt building, airport, etc plus I never used it in 30 plus years so I don't carry one anymore. 

I am ill prepared for any future apocalypse.  If I was stranded on a parking lot highway for more than a few hours,  I would probably abandon my car on the side of the road and start walking to the nearest exit.  On the east coast, exits usually aren't more than a few miles apart.  Depends what time of the day it was, what clothing/boots I have on, and how bad the weather was outside.  Most probably especially if it was just me in the car, I'd abandon it and start walking.   

AutobahnSHO

MX5
Glovebox: napkins, few CDs, a pen.
Trunk: owner manual, registration & insurance, pair of socks (in case feet get wet disc golfing), oil funnel, small first aid kit

Odyssey: couple thumbdrives with music, napkins, owner manual, region road map, pens, screwdriver & adjustable wrench. In the back air compressor, jumper cables, small 2x4s for wheel chock & put under jack. (Had to call roadside assistance one time because couldn't get the vehicle high enough to change tire with just the standard emergency jack on uneven terrain and nowhere to go).
Will

Submariner

G550:

~Fire extinguisher under the front dash (want to mount it under the seat but for now it's in some stretch netting)
~Tool Kit
~Two first aid kits (one is from my moms old Jaguar)
~A lockable trunk in the back with:
-Another fire extinguisher (want to mount it next to the rear door eventually)
-Blankets
-Snow chains
-Collapsable shovel/combo tool
-Water bottles/snacks
-Some VERY bright flashlights
-Lightning cables for our phones
-Basic medicine/my migraine medicine
-A basic carwash kit including microfibre towels, interior cleaner/conditioner a small bucket, soap, Rinse Free spot free rinse and tire degreaser.  If wherever I am has a hose, I can clean the truck.

I need to get jumpers, a good portable compressor, tow chains and maybe some flares.  The G has a full size spare but I might get a patch kit too.  I'd like do do what Soup does and carry a basic carbine or something similar.  Maybe I'll get to that some day.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

NomisR

Tesla 3

Sun glasses, glasses, radar detector, hand sanitizer, masks, 2x tablet mount in the back seat, car seat, water bottles, ipad cables, reusable bags in the trunk, insulated cooler bag in front, paper towels, charging cable kit and some microfiber towels.

JWC

I used to keep a fire extinguisher in the VWs, but air-cooled VWs do tend to fire up when the maintenance isn't kept up with. I should get another for the Honda.

r0tor

In the Alfa I have

- pack of emergency food
- couple packs of emergency water
- first aid kit
- mylar blanket
- roll of duct tape
- portable jump starter pack
- small compressor
- tire plugs
- basic tool kit
- hazard triangles
- snow scraper

Odds are I'm coming back/forth from work and have a small kit of various little things in my backpack.

In the Jeep is all of the above plus more tools and a telescoping shovel.

I never use to carry anything until I almost got stranded on the interstate in a snow storm.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Morris Minor

• Gerber/leatherman multi tools
  • rona masks
  • sunglasses
  • 380 pistols
  • First aid kits
  • AAA cards
  • microfiber rags
  • lightning cables
  • bungee cords
  • hand sanitizer
  • nitrile gloves