Ford Maverick

Started by AutobahnSHO, January 09, 2022, 12:06:39 PM

Laconian

Kind of sad that Kevin didn't talk about the chicken tax. I wish more people knew about it and could push for its repeal.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CaminoRacer

Back in June when he ordered it I told him I'd take it if he doesn't want it. If it ever comes!
2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

AutobahnSHO

Supposedly our truck will be built in early March, takes about 6 weeks to deliver from Mehico.

Word is Ford won't be able to build HALF of the 2023 hybrids ordered- even though they only took orders for about 10 days.....
Will

AutobahnSHO

DILEMMA TIME!!!!!!!

Maverick has arrived!   

Ordered in October 2021 when I was in Kuwait and we'd need (want) a vehicle when I got back. No ETA so we bought 2015 Civic instead.

1- We do NOT need Maverick. We have Odyssey, Civic, Scrappy.
2- We ordered Lariat to get the dual zone climate control and other goodies- out the door would be $32k plus taxes.
3- We are on track to pay off our house under 10 years and have 6months living expenses in cash, paying the house off would also allow me to retire earlier.

IF we take Maverick
4- we would grab a loan until we can move money from accounts to pay it off in a month.
5- we would trade in Civic (to reduce purchase price and keep 3 different "size" vehicles).
6- Insurance is only about $200/ 6 months
6a- this would set us back some on paying off house and retirement

We "COULD"
7- Buy Maverick and flip it for $5k profit probably. But that feels scummy. We'd have to keep Civic so take some risk on higher purchase price and being able to sell it.
8- Skip it altogether (which makes way more sense money-wise). Invest money into retirement, keeping cash reserve.

We both "WANT" the truck but absolutely don't need it. We're going tomorrow and hope to have at least most of a decision before we get there.
BIG SIGH!
Will

CaminoRacer

Trade in the Civic and rock the Maverick. You deserve it

Laconian

Aren't the residuals of the Maverick really strong? You can reframe of the actual expense of owning the Maverick in terms of operating costs and depreciation. You aren't lighting money on fire, after all... well, except for the taxes and fees lol

FoMoJo

You'll regret not getting it.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

CaminoRacer

If it was a luxury car, maybe it would make sense to skip it. But it's a practical, fuel efficient vehicle that you both like. Seems like a good purchase

AutobahnSHO

Sigh you guys aren't helping with the usual rational-ness :thumbsup:

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 31, 2023, 07:21:20 PM
Trade in the Civic and rock the Maverick. You deserve it

LOL sure we should "treat ourselves" but then just feels like starting over on excellent financial path

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2023, 07:22:27 PM
Aren't the residuals of the Maverick really strong? You can reframe of the actual expense of owning the Maverick in terms of operating costs and depreciation. You aren't lighting money on fire, after all... well, except for the taxes and fees lol

They're VERY strong now because it's the cheapest vehicle Ford sells, only thing like it on the market, and good value. In a few years if they can get the quantity up, may not be a good thing at all. But we really would plan to drive it 10 years....

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 31, 2023, 07:22:33 PM
You'll regret not getting it.

Sure but would we MORE regret not paying off the house a year or two earlier??....

Quote from: CaminoRacer on March 31, 2023, 07:26:30 PM
If it was a luxury car, maybe it would make sense to skip it. But it's a practical, fuel efficient vehicle that you both like. Seems like a good purchase

Agree, but is it the BEST choice financially right now?...

I appreciate all of the input, I'm not arguing, just presenting counterpoint.

Who knows, maybe when we see it in person we won't be comfortable in it or whatever. :huh:

This is what it would look like, except I'm not sure that the bedliner made it to the MY 22-23 transfer. And we did not order a tonneau cover, nor the bed extender.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/forum/threads/carbonized-gray-maverick-lariat-gleams-in-the-sun-showing-hard-rollup-bed-cover.1334/
Will

Laconian

You're asking this question on a car forum. We're not all driving sensible Corollas here. What did you expect? :lol:

Another angle to consider is that the Civic is middle aged. I'm pretty sure you won't want to drive it ten years into the future. The Maverick will come with a warranty and you'll enjoy a number of trouble free years while it's in its prime.

Plus you DO have a house now. Trucks are incredibly useful for landscaping and house-related things. I borrow my dad's truck for dump runs.

veeman

As I remember from your earlier posts, your wife really wanted the Maverick in the first place and initiated the whole process while you were in Kuwait. 

Get the Maverick.  Trade in Civic, if Ford dealership gives you decent value for it.  If Ford low balls you on the Civic, I would not trade it in and would sell on my own.  KBB will often give you dollar amounts that nearby dealerships will give you for your car.  I would go into the Ford Dealership armed with this amount. 

If you have Maverick, my guess is you probably don't also need the Odyssey.  Your auto insurance costs seem really low ($200/6 months).  Is that a military discount?  It still costs money too maintain the Odyssey though. 

Good luck Will with whatever you decide!   

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2023, 07:51:41 PM
You're asking this question on a car forum. We're not all driving sensible Corollas here. What did you expect? :lol:

Another angle to consider is that the Civic is middle aged. I'm pretty sure you won't want to drive it ten years into the future. The Maverick will come with a warranty and you'll enjoy a number of trouble free years while it's in its prime.

Plus you DO have a house now. Trucks are incredibly useful for landscaping and house-related things. I borrow my dad's truck for dump runs.

All good points....   :lol:

Quote from: veeman on March 31, 2023, 07:58:28 PM
As I remember from your earlier posts, your wife really wanted the Maverick in the first place and initiated the whole process while you were in Kuwait. 

Get the Maverick.  Trade in Civic, if Ford dealership gives you decent value for it.  If Ford low balls you on the Civic, I would not trade it in and would sell on my own.  KBB will often give you dollar amounts that nearby dealerships will give you for your car.  I would go into the Ford Dealership armed with this amount. 

If you have Maverick, my guess is you probably don't also need the Odyssey.  Your auto insurance costs seem really low ($200/6 months).  Is that a military discount?  It still costs money too maintain the Odyssey though. 

Good luck Will with whatever you decide!   

Although gas mileage sucks in Odyssey, it's far more capable than Civic. Maverick hybrid is only rated to tow 2000 lbs while Odyssey can do 3500 (and towed Scrappy from VA to SC).

Currently wife drives Civic to work and me Scrappy unless it's rainy, then she takes Odyssey and I take Civic. She would likely want Mav, for her not digging keys out of her purse is the greatest thing ever LOL. (Civic and Mav have keyless entry/ pushstart).

As far as insurance, MY BAD- I don't know what I was looking at. We're both late 40s with no tickets/ accidents the last 15+ years. Using USAA which is honestly always cheaper than other quotes I've compared: 
Civic is $334/ 6month
Mav $408/ 6month
Odyssey $346/ 6 month
and Scrappy liability only $179/ 6 month.
Will

giant_mtb

You went through all this, and now you don't want it? The fuck, man.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2023, 07:51:41 PM

Trucks like TUNDRAS. :praise:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

What do the folks on RamseySPIN say?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Laconian on March 31, 2023, 08:50:10 PM
What do the folks on RamseySPIN say?

Sell the house and rent until you can pay cash for it. :thumbsup:

AutobahnSHO

Well, we talked a lot, prayed on it and felt good, so...   :lol:

We got a loan (8.9% (?!?!?!?!!!?!?!?!) for 48months is $600/monthly) to just make paperwork faster, we didn't have all the money transferred from other bank yet, we'll pay it off next week...

We ended up paying $1k over sticker after a $500 military discount, and I know that they'll also claim a "price reduction" credit of $2k because the sticker went up from 2022. WHATEVER. :rant:
Plus although the tradein is $11k for Civic (although it had a small accident and 110k miles), they first started with $6k and privately wife said she would take $8.5k just to not hassle with it, I said $10k but privately was ok with $9k but after going back a few times they came back with $8.5k so that was done.

A quick grocery trip (the long long way) in very hilly town and not trying to drive nice I ended up with 35mpg. :mask:

It's comfy, roomy enough, and so fun to have Android Auto built in, dual auto climate. They didn't put on the hitch we wanted (got lost on 22-23 MY transfer) and we'll get the bed sprayed still. I can do the hitch, just a hassle. Can't wait to do trucky things!!!  Although it was RAINING on the drive home (people were driving 30mph in 45mph zone) it's much much quieter than I thought a dirt-cheap truck would be! Most things are pretty intuitive.

you can see the corner of Civic:

Scrappy usually doesn't even reach the door handles of the full-size (F-150etc...) trucks:

Will

Laconian

Congratulations! I know you'll love it. As far as dream cars go this one's pretty darn practical.

Ah, DIY hitch installation isn't that big a deal, and at least you'll know it's done right. At least you have ground clearance to get underneath your bumper. Imagine the hell we went through with the EV6. We had barely enough height to do one click on the torque wrench!

8.9% is the auto loan rate these days? Jeeeeeez!

CaminoRacer

:rockon:

Glad the markup wasn't too insane.
That gray paint looks really nice. Has some depth to it

Eye of the Tiger

Nice truck. I still think Maverick is one of the best new cars out there. My auto loan is 14.4%, if that makes you feel any better. :cheers:

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

FoMoJo

Great looking truck.  Happy haulin'.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Laconian

Cool "sheriff's badge" wheels! Or, hey, maybe it's a Star of David?

veeman

Congratulations!  The smile on your wife's face is worth the purchase man. 

AutobahnSHO

Btw she wasn't super duper wanting the truck, but super supportive.
Will

Laconian

A small truck has an awesome ROI. Your wife will love it. The big furniture section of FB Marketplace is now unlocked!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 01, 2023, 04:00:48 PM
Btw she wasn't super duper wanting the truck, but super supportive.

Girls don't want trucks, they want boys that have trucks.

#TruckGang

:rastaman: