Zephyr name canned

Started by ifcar, February 08, 2006, 04:56:13 AM

Raza

QuoteNo more so than the similar alphanumeric names of other manufacturers do (i.e.: G35 and M35; GS350; IS350, and RX350; and 530i and 330i).
Infiniti suffers from the same syndrome, to an extent.  But, alphanumeric names can be very easy in the case of the BMW numbers and MB letters.  When your entire model lineup sounds almost exactly the same, who's going to remember it?
I still get all the BMWs and MBs mixed up.  330i this, 335cjwuj27 that, S500 the other thing, S6032 that one thing...  :ph34r:
What are you?  Retarded?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

QuoteNo more so than the similar alphanumeric names of other manufacturers do (i.e.: G35 and M35; GS350; IS350, and RX350; and 530i and 330i).
Infiniti suffers from the same syndrome, to an extent.  But, alphanumeric names can be very easy in the case of the BMW numbers and MB letters.  When your entire model lineup sounds almost exactly the same, who's going to remember it?
MB's system works exactly the same as Infiniti's <_<: They use the first letter to indicate the size class, with the letters closest to the beginning of the alphabet representing smaller cars and the later ones larger cars and then two numbers to represent engine displacement. The only difference is that Benz tacks on a 0 to the end. and doesn't use as good of a spread of letters. Additionally, in suv designations they add a L after the first letter, which doesn't make nearly as much sense as the X Infiniti uses. Except for their SUVs BMW uses the exact same system, except they use a number instead of a letter for the first character.

But, that really isn't hard to understand at all, what is hard to understand is when manufactures try to turn real genuine names into alphanumeric combinations. If you didn't know that the C stood for Catera, the D for Deville, and the S for Seville you would think that the STS is the biggest, most luxurious sedan GM offers, while in reality the DTS is. That's the same problem with Lincoln's new system, except it is even worse since they are keeping two names around.

RJM

MB's system works exactly the same as Infiniti's <_<: They use the first letter to indicate the size class, with the letters closest to the beginning of the alphabet representing smaller cars and the later ones larger cars and then two numbers to represent engine displacement. The only difference is that Benz tacks on a 0 to the end. and doesn't use as good of a spread of letters. Additionally, in suv designations they add a L after the first letter, which doesn't make nearly as much sense as the X Infiniti uses. Except for their SUVs BMW uses the exact same system, except they use a number instead of a letter for the first character.

But, that really isn't hard to understand at all, what is hard to understand is when manufactures try to turn real genuine names into alphanumeric combinations. If you didn't know that the C stood for Catera, the D for Deville, and the S for Seville you would think that the STS is the biggest, most luxurious sedan GM offers, while in reality the DTS is. That's the same problem with Lincoln's new system, except it is even worse since they are keeping two names around.
Lincoln says they're doing it to increase brand equity.  BS, they're just joining the crowd.  Names were a way to set them apart.  When you say you drive a Navigator, everyone knows its a Lincoln, same with the Town Car.

Growing up, whenever anyone asked what car the parents had, when I said Fleetwood, everyone knew instantly in was a Cadillac, they never asked twice.  Now when I say STS, some know its a Cadillac, others don't, and the ones that do are usually confused as to size.  I've noticed many people get the STS and CTS confused, and some even think they're the same car.  That didn't happen when Cadillac used names, everyone knew Seville was midsize and DeVille was huge.

Look at all the equity Acura had in the Legend name, and since they switched to RL, the car has never enjoyed the same success.

Names were so much easier, and they sounded better as well.  Some may deride me, but I miss the Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance from my childhood, sure its a mouthfull, but what a name.....

mazda6er

I still get all the BMWs and MBs mixed up.  330i this, 335cjwuj27 that, S500 the other thing, S6032 that one thing...  :ph34r:
What are you?  Retarded?
Yeah, Raza. They make him wear a helmet.  :rolleyes:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

so cal cookie

I was thinking about this today as I saw an Acura Legend.
I seems to me Lincoln (and GM with Pontiac) are making the assumption that people are buying European cars because of the names.
No. :banghead:
They are buying them because they are great products.  Was the Camry a crappy car when it was introduced?  Probably.  Did Toyota change the name every 10 years because they were producing an OK product? No.  They stuck with it, and it's one of the first cars that pops into you're head when someone says reliable family sedan.
Ford and GM should be denied the ability to change the names of their cars.  It created confusion amongst buyers, and doesn't give the car a chance to build a reputaion.  

Having names also gives the maker the oppertunity to inject some passion into TV ads.  You can say the name Zephyr and say it with a passion that you can't do with MKZ.  Besides, no one is going to read it as "Mark-Z" if that's what Lincoln wants.  Everyone's going to say "em-kay-zee."

Car Zeus

So they changed a name big deal.

How about Lincoln start changing and bringing innovation to their dead interiors.

TBR

That is actualy the one department Lincoln is good in, have you seen the new Navigators interior? :o

93JC

QuoteYou can say the name Zephyr and say it with a passion that you can't do with MKZ.  Besides, no one is going to read it as "Mark-Z" if that's what Lincoln wants.  Everyone's going to say "em-kay-zee."
ZED!!!

Raza

QuoteYou can say the name Zephyr and say it with a passion that you can't do with MKZ.  Besides, no one is going to read it as "Mark-Z" if that's what Lincoln wants.  Everyone's going to say "em-kay-zee."
ZED!!!
I read it as "em kay zed" also.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

RJM

QuoteYou can say the name Zephyr and say it with a passion that you can't do with MKZ.? Besides, no one is going to read it as "Mark-Z" if that's what Lincoln wants.? Everyone's going to say "em-kay-zee."
ZED!!!
Then that's a 350 ZED in your signature, i suppose.

Raza

QuoteYou can say the name Zephyr and say it with a passion that you can't do with MKZ.  Besides, no one is going to read it as "Mark-Z" if that's what Lincoln wants.  Everyone's going to say "em-kay-zee."
ZED!!!
Then that's a 350 ZED in your signature, i suppose.
That's what I say.  :)

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Then whenever you mention the 350z you sound retarded.

mazda6er

QuoteThen whenever you mention the 350z you sound retarded.
Come now, let's not sell him short, I'm sure he sounds retarded for other reasons as well.  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

He probably uses a fake British accent too :rolleyes:

Raza

I'd watched so much British television, it really began to burrow its way into my vocabulary.  When I would say "350Z" or "Z4" or "Z3" it was "zed", and then "zed" just got everywhere.  

Hell, everyone else in the world says zed.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TBR

Well they're all wrong :P . It just doesn't make sense to say 'zed' instead of 'zee'.

Raza

QuoteWell they're all wrong :P . It just doesn't make sense to say 'zed' instead of 'zee'.
It's become habit for me now.  There's really nothing I can do about it.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

so cal cookie

ZED!!!
I KNEW you were going to that! :lol:  

thewizard16

QuoteWell they're all wrong :P . It just doesn't make sense to say 'zed' instead of 'zee'.
I've found a hammer and/or a fall from a high place is a good way to "reset" the memory. :hammerhead:  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

mazda6er

I've found a hammer and/or a fall from a high place is a good way to "reset" the memory. :hammerhead:
Being kicked by a mule works well, too.
--Mark

Raza

I'm not letting you kick me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

mazda6er

I'm not a mule, I'm a jackass. There is a difference.  :lol:  
--Mark

omicron

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

I'm retarded as well  :lol:  

Raza

I'm not a mule, I'm a jackass. There is a difference.  :lol:
Dumb, stubborn, slow, and can't reproduce.

Sounds like you, Mark.  And you let fat sweaty amusement park men ride you.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

:clap:  :clap:

Australians and Canadians..you can count on them!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

RJM

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Don't forget the English.  After all, where would civilized society be without them! :P  

omicron

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Don't forget the English.  After all, where would civilized society be without them! :P
Stuck on C&D, perhaps?  :lol:  

RJM

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Stuck on C&D, perhaps?  :lol:
Perhaps....

Can only hope....