Zephyr name canned

Started by ifcar, February 08, 2006, 04:56:13 AM

Tom

QuoteYou can say the name Zephyr and say it with a passion that you can't do with MKZ.? Besides, no one is going to read it as "Mark-Z" if that's what Lincoln wants.? Everyone's going to say "em-kay-zee."
ZED!!!
I read it as "em kay zed" also.
Then that's a 350 ZED in your signature, i suppose.
That's what I say.  :)
No you don't!

Raza

QuoteThen whenever you mention the 350z you sound retarded.
ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

I'm retarded as well  :lol:
:clap:  :clap:

Australians and Canadians..you can count on them!
Don't forget the English.  After all, where would civilized society be without them! :P
Of course not!  The English are my friends.  My pompous friends.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

RJM

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Don't forget the English.  After all, where would civilized society be without them! :P
My English friends aren't pompous all the time, although they frequently project that attitude of bored superiorty.

Go figure!

Raza

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

My English friends aren't pompous all the time, although they frequently project that attitude of bored superiorty.

Go figure!
My English friend is actually very down to earth.  When he heard that Americans perceive the Brits as haughty, he was absolutely appalled.  He had no idea.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

RJM

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Go figure!
My English friend is actually very down to earth.  When he heard that Americans perceive the Brits as haughty, he was absolutely appalled.  He had no idea.
Most of mine are as well.  Although several find July 4 amusing.  They always ask "how do you know we weren't happy to be rid of you??"

Currently we're all re-living high school memories by watching the Young Ones.

TBR

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Go figure!
Most of mine are as well.  Although several find July 4 amusing.  They always ask "how do you know we weren't happy to be rid of you??"

Perhaps because of the war... :P

omicron

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Go figure!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  

RJM

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Go figure!

Never can get a straight answer out of them..... ;)  

Raza

ZED 4, MARK ZED, 350 ZED

Go figure!

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:
:rockon:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Atomic

QuoteNot really a big deal. Now, if they kill the Navigator or Town Car names, then it is a big deal.
i disagree! a lot of money went into the new name. read me: A LOT OF $$$! lincoln must have egg on it's face w/ the abrupt  name change! this is sh*t :rage: !!!

TBR

First, once again, not a lot of money went in to the name. I have only seen a couple of commercials for the Zephyer. Additionally, with such a new nameplate (yes, I know it technically isn't new but it hasn't been used in years) people will remember the car, not the name.

ifcar

I haven't seen many TV commercials, but I've seen ads for the car on every major car-oriented website and in both C/D and Motor Trend.

RJM

I've been surprised by the amount of tv ads I've seen.  But I can't imagine Lincoln not having made the decision to change the cars name quickly.  Then again, why would they send it to market knowing they were going to change the name.

Although of the handful I've seen in traffic, all have been rentals.  

Raza

They probably had all those "Zephyr" badges stamped out already.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

RJM

QuoteThey probably had all those "Zephyr" badges stamped out already.
Never thought of that, but certainly is plausible....

ifcar

I don't buy that explanation. They just didn't decide to move to alphanumeric names until after the Zephyr was released, and then they had to give it a model year.

RJM

QuoteI don't buy that explanation. They just didn't decide to move to alphanumeric names until after the Zephyr was released, and then they had to give it a model year.
Still...it seems odd that a company would introduce an entirely new product, build awareness for said product and then rename it so quickly.  Why not wait a couple of years and rename at the same time the vehicle is given a freshening?

ifcar

They are in fact giving it a freshening along with the new name (different grille, some different interior materials, new engine). I just don't think they had decided on alphanumeric names until after the Zephyr was already on sale, and then decided that they wanted most 2007 models to lose real names.

Raza

QuoteI don't buy that explanation. They just didn't decide to move to alphanumeric names until after the Zephyr was released, and then they had to give it a model year.
I was being pretty sarcastic at the time.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Yes, but it certainly didn't seem like RJM was.  

RJM

QuoteYes, but it certainly didn't seem like RJM was.
I was and I wasn't.

When I'm being REALLY sarcastic, you'll know it! :praise:  

thewizard16

Question, if they canned the Zephyr name, why are they running commercials for it as the Zephyr? Isn't this going to make it even more confusing for other people when they change the name?
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

They still have to sell the 06s.